Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Backdating: 2 different dates?

tag
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

AMEX Backdating: 2 different dates?

This is not a problem for me I was just curious. I was checking my score power numbers like I do once a year and I noticed my 2 AMEX cards have different backdates. My Green card which I got a in early '14 shows the backdate 05/2000 and my BCP which I got just recently reports 12/2000. 

Hmm, now that I'm thinking about it I believe the Green Card was approved in May and BCP in December. Learn something new everyday..so nevermind then Smiley Happy

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: AMEX Backdating: 2 different dates?

@mitchblue wrote:

This is not a problem for me I was just curious. I was checking my score power numbers like I do once a year and I noticed my 2 AMEX cards have different backdates. My Green card which I got a in early '14 shows the backdate 05/2000 and my BCP which I got just recently reports 12/2000. 

Hmm, now that I'm thinking about it I believe the Green Card was approved in May and BCP in December. Learn something new everyday..so nevermind then Smiley Happy

Yes, standard rule for backdating is that it takes the year of the original card but the month of the current application, which is why people talk about getting maximum backdating by apping in Jan.   This will often lead the later cards appearing older than the original one  (If you had got your BCP this month it would be 1/2000)

No idea why Amex does it that way, rather than use month and year of the original card.

Message 2 of 3
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Backdating: 2 different dates?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@mitchblue wrote:

Yes, standard rule for backdating is that it takes the year of the original card but the month of the current application, which is why people talk about getting maximum backdating by apping in Jan.   This will often lead the later cards appearing older than the original one  (If you had got your BCP this month it would be 1/2000)

No idea why Amex does it that way, rather than use month and year of the original card.

Thanks. I wish I had known that I could have held off. Now I know. 

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.