cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Blue Cash Every Upgrade to Blue Cash Preferred?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Blue Cash Every Upgrade to Blue Cash Preferred?

Topic says it all, i have the option to request an upgrade... Currently the BCE has no Annual Fee and the BCP will have a 95$ annual fee. However the benefits may potentially out weigh that fee... 

What is the general opinion?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
OmarR
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX Blue Cash Every Upgrade to Blue Cash Preferred?

Someone can jump in and correct me if my math is wrong, but if you spend at least ~$60 per week ($240/month) on groceries, than the BCP is the better card.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 2 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Is there a SUB as part of the offer to upgrade? 

Message 3 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@OmarR wrote:

Someone can jump in and correct me if my math is wrong, but if you spend at least ~$60 per week ($240/month) on groceries, than the BCP is the better card.

Math is correct.  If you look purely at grocery spend, the cutover is where the extra 3% exceeds $95, so 95/.03, is about $3.166.67 a year, which is about $60.90 a week,

Cavaets in both directions!

1) This assumes spend at a grocery store which codes that way for Amex.   Otherwise, both cards earn 1% and the AF is a waste.

2) This spend goes on the Amex card only.   So if you have Discover IT and Freedom for example, some quarters you could get 5% supermarkets anyway, so the math changes, pushing the threshold up.   (For example, if you could always use a 5% card at a supermarket, e.g. Chase Amazon at Whole Foods, the BCP doesn't make sense, as the extra 1% on $6,000 doesn't outweight the $95 AF)

On the pro-BCP side: if you have streaming services, any money you put there lowers the breakeven.   Also true for gas, but even the 3% on BCP is low for gas if it is a significant spend.

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@OmarR wrote:

Math is correct.  If you look purely at grocery spend, the cutover is where the extra 3% exceeds $95, so 95/.03, is about $3.166.67 a year, which is about $60.90 a week,

1) This assumes spend at a grocery store which codes that way for Amex.   Otherwise, both cards earn 1% and the AF is a waste.

2) This spend goes on the Amex card only.   So if you have Discover IT and Freedom for example, some quarters you could get 5% supermarkets anyway, so the math changes, pushing the threshold up.   (For example, if you could always use a 5% card at a supermarket, e.g. Chase Amazon at Whole Foods, the BCP doesn't make sense, as the extra 1% on $6,000 doesn't outweight the $95 AF)

On the pro-BCP side: if you have streaming services, any money you put there lowers the breakeven.   Also true for gas, but even the 3% on BCP is low for gas if it is a significant spend.

To answer the questions or statements... 

We as a family spend on average $175 a week on Groceries at Meijer (Ohio)... We also have Netflix and Disney +

EDIT: Between wife and I we average 120$ in fuel a week. 

I do have a Discover IT Card as well as a Chase Amazon Prime with the Amazon Prime we do not shop at Whole Foods

Message 5 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@OmarR wrote:

To answer the questions or statements... 

We as a family spend on average $175 a week on Groceries at Meijer (Ohio)... We also have Netflix and Disney +

I do have a Discover IT Card as well as a Chase Amazon Prime with the Amazon Prime we do not shop at Whole Foods

Sounds like the BCP is a worthwhile upgrade (especially if there is a SUB)  Just keep track of the spend and when you reach $6K, if you have a card that does more than 1%, use that

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

Is there a SUB as part of the offer to upgrade? 

I am not seeing a SUB offer with the upgrade...

Message 7 of 17
JNA1
Valued Contributor

Your spend sounds a lot like ours. I got the BCP because I will max out the $6000 @ 6% on the BCP and the $1500 @ 5% on my Disco (and then some!🙈)
The AF was worth it, in our case. In fact, I eventually want one more 5% rotator to cover all of our grocery spend for the year.
The 3% for gas (and pretty much all other gas station purchases also) is unspectacular , but it’s the best of my current cards, and based on our spend this year, we‘ll net an additional $50 next year in gas cash back next year over the 2% I got this year.

So far I’m loving ours!
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 8 of 17
JNA1
Valued Contributor

I got the $300 for spending $1000 on ours, so it was a no brainer for us.
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 9 of 17
bergrides
Regular Contributor

I spend about 7500 on groceries a year, so it is a good match for me.  Also my EZPass is on my BCP and that gets 3% back, and depending on work, I canspend alot on EZPass. 

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.