cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLD From 14K to $1800. I'm Devastated.

tag
Luxeedee
New Contributor

AMEX CLD From 14K to $1800. I'm Devastated.

I don't know what I did wrong.  I was careful to spend and not carry a balance more than 2-3 months.  For two years I used it and paid it off, never going beyond a few months and never paying late.  I got a lot of sweet offers and fell in love with another card or two.AMEX raised my APR quietly while increasing my limit.  So instead of using them and their 24% card, I switched my heavy usage to a 9% card.  Who wouldn't.

Today I took my 14K Amex and decided to charge $1300.  In minutes I got an email saying My credit limit had been decreased to $1800!!!  There's no way in hell I would have used the card if I knew it would instantly make me look like I'd nearly maxed it out! I look really sloppy right now because of them. I'm planning on paying it at the end of the week and the sock drawering that nuclear bomb.

Why would they do this?  I have a perfect payment streak, and a 696 credit score.  I was careful to use but did not abuse their card. I have two other large cards with 50% usage that are paid promptly. I have smaller cards that are niche cards paid off every month, like a medical card, and an Apple card I used for my school computer.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
sznthescore
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX Decreased my Limit From 14K to 1800. I'm Devastated.

Sorry to hear that this has happened to you. Could have been other accounts with other creditors. Have those balances reported to credit bureaus. It has to be something Amex saw that spooked them.

REBUILDER CARDS

Goal: FICO 700+
Message 2 of 22
fury1995
Valued Contributor

@Luxeedee wrote:

I don't know what I did wrong.  I was careful to spend and not carry a balance more than 2-3 months.  For two years I used it and paid it off, never going beyond a few months and never paying late.  I got a lot of sweet offers and fell in love with another card or two.AMEX raised my APR quietly while increasing my limit.  So instead of using them and their 24% card, I switched my heavy usage to a 9% card.  Who wouldn't.

Today I took my 14K Amex and decided to charge $1300.  In minutes I got an email saying My credit limit had been decreased to $1800!!!  There's no way in hell I would have used the card if I knew it would instantly make me look like I'd nearly maxed it out! I look really sloppy right now because of them. I'm planning on paying it at the end of the week and the sock drawering that nuclear bomb.

Why would they do this?  I have a perfect payment streak, and a 696 credit score.  I was careful to use but did not abuse their card. I have two other large cards with 50% usage that are paid promptly. I have smaller cards that are niche cards paid off every month, like a medical card, and an Apple card I used for my school computer.

I suspect it was these two account reporting and Amex likely did an A/R and saw the UTI make a dramtic change. Timing is EVERYTHING when you put heavy spend on cards that you PIF. 

Edited to add: I see that you have been increasing those balances and increasing the UTI on 3 of your cards for school since last year. The combined limit increase request with Amex and increasing balances with Navy, Apple and PSECU is what is spooking Amex. You increased your NFCU then pushed the UTI to 50% reecntly and  they likely think you will push your balance to 50% with them as well and are taking action before that can happen. They're balance chasing your card.

August 28, 2023 FICO 8

August 28, 2023 FICO BankCard 8

August 28, 2023 FICO Auto 8

citi-costco-ImgurCiti-Double-Cash
Message 3 of 22
Gunnerboy
Established Contributor

@Luxeedee Was this an out-of-the-norm transaction?  Have you ever spent close to that amount in a single transaction on this card?

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 4 of 22
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

If that is a charge that is out of the norm for that card or with AMEX in general they will sometimes drop your limit until they can verify it was you that made the transaction. I would call them if this happened me.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 5 of 22
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Luxeedee wrote:

@fury1995 covered this already, but it's definitely going to be risk mitigation and balance chasing.  Regardless of what you are paying other lenders, all Amex can see is your credit reports when they do their regular account reviews.  If you have multiple cards with very high utilization, they are going to assume that you are carrying these balances, even if you are using a substantial portion of your credit line and paying in full each month.

You mentioned a perfect payment "streak" - does that mean you have previous negative history on your reports but have been paying on-time for a while, or that you have always paid every account on time?  There's a big difference there; 696 without other blemishes seems a bit on the low end for FICO 8 and is definitely a bit under where Amex would typically be comfortable with larger credit lines.  Once your balances are paid down, it should be quite easy to restore your credit line. 

As for "So instead of using them and their 24% card, I switched my heavy usage to a 9% card.  Who wouldn't."   Those who want rewards from credit cards would be the answer there.  With grace periods, whether the APR is 0% or 30% doesn't matter when the statement bal;ance is paid.  Amex cards are generally not good for carrying balances outside of promotional offers.  As with most rewards cards, carrying a balance offsets the rewards earned and depending on the card and APR you end up paying more in interest than what the rewards are valued at.  A majority of consumers carry balances, but rewards cards are not the best way to do so financially.

Message 6 of 22
RSX
Valued Contributor

Adding one more thing as the rest has already been covered

amex wasn't quietly raising your APR.  every Lender has been doing this.  There have been 7 or 9 benchmark rate increases over the last 15 months

i think you should check your Apple APR, as mine has raised by close to 5% since 2021

also check your other cards.  Most of mine have gone up.   Only 1 or 2 haven't.  

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 7 of 22
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Luxeedee wrote:

I would call and ask them to reinstate your credit limit.

Total revolving limits 587500 (521k reporting) FICO 8: EQ 706 TU 714 EX 721

Message 8 of 22
Luxeedee
New Contributor

@Gunnerboy wrote:

@Luxeedee Was this an out-of-the-norm transaction?  Have you ever spent close to that amount in a single transaction on this card?

No, it was not out of the norm.  I had a 0% offer for 18 months and charged everything I could to goose my starting limit up from $2K.  I charged then paid for nearly 2 years.

Message 9 of 22
Luxeedee
New Contributor

@Priory_Man wrote:
If that is a charge that is out of the norm for that card or with AMEX in general they will sometimes drop your limit until they can verify it was you that made the transaction. I would call them if this happened me.

I thought about calling them, then I remembered you guys could give better context.  I need an idea of whether I can correct the problem in case it isn't a security overreaction.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.