Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI Question

tag
luckydiva95
New Contributor

AMEX CLI Question

Is there a certain spending pattern that AMEX prefers to qualify for Credit Line Increases? I spend $800 a month on my BCP and I make multiple payments a month. 

Capital One QS $8,000| Credit one $3,150| Capital One Secured $500| Barclay View $6,250| Amazon Chase $2,700| Discover It $12,100| AMEX Everyday Preferred $15,000| Wells Fargo Active Cash $7,500| AMEX Blue Cash Preferred $17,900| Apple Card $4,000| Best Buy Visa $5,000| Citi Custom Cash $6,500| Chase Sapphire Preferred $9,500|Chase Unlimited Freedom $9100
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX CLI Question

@luckydiva95 wrote:

Is there a certain spending pattern that AMEX prefers to qualify for Credit Line Increases? I spend $800 a month on my BCP and I make multiple payments a month. 

Like everything credit-related, I'm sure there's no black-and-white answer. From my own experience, though, I can tell you that I recently got a $5,000 increase on my BCP, and I had been putting up to $3,000 a month on it. I never, ever make multiple payments per month, on any card, so I don't know how or if that factors in.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 2 of 31
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

Spend alot and PIF

Message 3 of 31
bigseegar
Established Contributor

@luckydiva95 wrote:

Like everything else with AmEx no one can say for sure. But as with any card issuer yes they want to see usage for sure so it can't do anything but help. Looking at your Sig Line though it says you already have a $10K limit on the card so I'm not sure a spend of only $800 a month against that Limit will make a whole lot of difference though. I also don't understand multiple payments in one month on such a low amount. Personally I only make one payment a month, several days before the Due Date and PIF and I have a lot large amounts across all 4 of my AmEx cards each month.

Message 4 of 31
PNWRambler
Frequent Contributor

AmEx doesn't like people to carry a balance, so PIF is always good.  I don't think it makes a difference if you do multiple payments in a month vs one large payment, but PIF or staying below 30% along with a lot of spending is going to be your best bet.   

Message 5 of 31
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

I use 5% of its limit and seems to work well. I pay in full with 1 or multiple payments. @luckydiva95 

Message 6 of 31
learningcredit54
Regular Contributor

I too was wondering what the best method is. I received a BLUE CASH PREFERRED a few weeks back with a 1k limit. I put around 600 first month a PIF before statement and this second cycle planning on doing the same. This way I think I have better odds at doing a 3x CLI on day 61 of the card.

Business Cards:
Amex Business Plus: 6000 // Amex Business Hilton Honors: 3000 // Amex Delta Gold: 4900 // Amex Business Platinum NPSL POT 5000 // Amex Business Gold NPSL POT 15000

Personal Cards:
Discover It Cash Back: 8000 // Chase Saphire Preferred: 5000 // Truist Enjoy Beyond: 4500 // Amex Blue Cash Preferred: 1000 // Cap1SavorOne: 2000 // Cap1 Secured Platinum: 200 // Cap1 QuiksilverOne 2000 // Citi Double Cash: 5200 // Amex Platinum NPSL POT 4000 // Amex Gold NPSL POT 1750

GOAL SCORES 750 ACROSS
Message 7 of 31
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@learningcredit54 wrote:

I too was wondering what the best method is. I received a BLUE CASH PREFERRED a few weeks back with a 1k limit. I put around 600 first month a PIF before statement and this second cycle planning on doing the same. This way I think I have better odds at doing a 3x CLI on day 61 of the card.

Temper expectations as far as even qualifying to ask for a CLI at 61 days. I got the same card, same limit, back in December, and had to wait nearly 6 months before even being *allowed* to ask for a CLI. It *was* granted, though, thankfully. But I didn't PIF. I've been leaving some balances on it since it's at 0% until Dec of this year.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 31
Mdowning30
Established Contributor

Because of those $1000 starting limits...

Chase Freedom Unlimited : $6000 | Discover It Chrome : $3500 | AmEx CS Investor : $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred : $5000 | Chase Amazon Prime : $2000 | AmEx Hilton Surpass : $1000 | AmEx Business Plus : $2000 | AmEx Platinum CS : POT $2800 | Tower Federal CU : $15,000 | Lowes Commercial Account : $1,000 | WF Bilt Mastercard : $4,000 | Shell Fleet Plus : $1,000
Total Credit Limit : $42500
Experian FICO 8 : 694
| Experian Vantage : 701 | TransUnion FICO 8 : 683 | TransUnion Vantage : 695 | Experian FICO 9 : 665
Starting Score: 512
Current Score: 693
Goal Score: 700+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 31
collics
Established Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@learningcredit54 wrote:

Temper expectations as far as even qualifying to ask for a CLI at 61 days. I got the same card, same limit, back in December, and had to wait nearly 6 months before even being *allowed* to ask for a CLI. It *was* granted, though, thankfully. But I didn't PIF. I've been leaving some balances on it since it's at 0% until Dec of this year.

Great dp, thanks.

Did you get 3x limit when they did grant the CLI?

BK 7 Discharged May 2014. Removal Feb 2024! Let the countdown begin!!
Last App: Apr 2023
Newest to Oldest:

FICO8s Dec 2019

FICO8s Oct 31 2023
Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.