Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Check Spending Ability

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Check Spending Ability

I have been toying with the AMEX check spending availability tool. So much in fact that I just got locked out... I just opened a BRG card so I wanted to see how much I could charge without the embarrassment of a potential decline. Then I checked my Everyday and it said I could spend double my CL on the card. If AMEX would let me spend double my CL, it seems as though they would have offered a higher initial CL. Just seems strange, anyone else play with this tool on their accounts?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Check Spending Ability

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been toying with the AMEX check spending availability tool. So much in fact that I just got locked out... I just opened a BRG card so I wanted to see how much I could charge without the embarrassment of a potential decline. Then I checked my Everyday and it said I could spend double my CL on the card. If AMEX would let me spend double my CL, it seems as though they would have offered a higher initial CL. Just seems strange, anyone else play with this tool on their accounts?

^^^^^

I checked my spending ability this a.m. and it's $100,000

I have a AMEX platinum card , no preset limit

Message 2 of 14
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Don't check it too much or your account will get flagged, you getting locked out is a sign to stop.
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 3 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The Amex cards are like Signatures/World MC, in that they can approve charges above the CL, depending on their view of the account at the time.   You will notice various wording that the tool does not guarantee that the charge will be accepted etc.   But they do lock you out if you use it too much (and then it resets by the next day)

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the input everyone. I realized that I probably shouldn't toy with it too much when it locked me out. It said something about preventing fraud which made me think that now I will be getting frozen haha. If I am ever in a bind and need to purchase a Cessna in a snap I wouldn't use my AMEX anyhow. My Diners Club will do the heavy lifting if need be. I just like knowing what's out there.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

BRG, Is that a new one?

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nixon, its Business Rewards Gold

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Nixon, its Business Rewards Gold

Ah. Well silly me for not looking before mistaking your B for a typo Smiley Happy

My CSA button gives out at $9,000 on my PRG, $3,000 on my ED, and $21,000 on my BSP as of 5 minutes ago.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nixon, no worries on not knowing about the BRG. I didn't know about it until I checked the Business section of AMEX and noticed they had a pre-qualifier tool. Entered my company information and eureka there is a new AMEX I had not seen previously. Had to have it.

See the CSA tool is tons of fun!

Message 9 of 14
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

I would only check when I'm ready to make a large purchase and to make sure it would go through

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.