Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Customer Service

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Customer Service

I would be most interested in knowing the specific problem you were experiencing when you spoke with this allegedly incompetent CCP.
Message 51 of 68
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Save-n-Invest wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:
I am interested to hear what the specific questions are which the OP was trying to get answered.

As well, those who don’t like their response from AMEX could please clarify what they were trying to accomplish.
Recently I started a thread on an Amex issue. In that instance American Express was in violation of it's own terms and conditions. I was in compliance. In essence American Express was attempting to collect 100+ % of the paid balance. It was eventually resolved but just another Amex hassle.
There were several responses on the thread. Most defended the American Express overreach. That was disappointing. Several posters seemed to be well meaning but misinformed. Unfortunately posters who are conversant with the terms provided politician speak non answer responses tilted toward Americn Express.

There were generalizations such as all the banks do thus and so. No banks will allow such and  such. I posted the t&c from American Express website. No change. Three posters were helpful commenting that they had similar situations and I was probably ok.

Lots of Kool-aide from American Express. 

One person early on the thread posted that I must be trying to use cash back to pay the minimum payment. The next poster  linked another thread to help me understand the minimum payment rules. I was *not* asked if I was doing a minimum payment. The whole army is out of step except American Express. Smiley Happy

I pay in full early or on time everytime to every issuer every month. I have never done a minimum payment. I don't go into specifics now as a result of that thread. My posts can be searched if anyone is curious. 

Reading your posts that is just crazy.  Why would they charge you interest on a $0 balance.  And that no one wanted to fix it is more craziness.  You did truely get terrible customer service. 

Thank you, frogman1

The issue is resolved. At the beginning Amex was trying to clawback a cash reward that was redeemed and posted to the statement or interest would be charged on that zero balance.

Any cs issue I've expereinced is actually an American Express issue and rewards related. 

I'm enjoying the break as Discover is 5% grocery this quarter. Freedom was grocery in the second quarter last year. Nothing on the site yet. I'll use Double Cash. The extra penny is not worth the hassle factor. 

Sometimes stepping back from a possible situation works best for me. 

Message 52 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex has been good to me via phone and chat but good god they are more frustrating than Cap 1 and trying to get goodwill.

Scenario 1: I applied for a business card and was instantly denied.  i called the phone # on the denail letter  a few days after to appeal my case as I just closed a personal account with a $0 in goodstanding(was confirmed  posted and updated in their system by amex rep who did it and gave #), long wait times, basically got no where.  I also made sure to ask the rep if I WOULD NOT have to pay any finance charges since the account was closed and paid off before the statement cut date.  Rep kept saying I wouldnt have to worry about interest/finance charges.

Waited a few days and then tried calling the  number again(on the enial letter) and I basically got tossed around to 4 different departments trying to appeal and plead.  Got tossed around 2 different underwriting departments and then 2 new account departments for a simple appeal because each rep pointed me in that direction.  After almost 1.5 hours on the phone i FINALLY got approval. It was the most frustrating thing ever.

Scenario 2:  Yesterday I got an alert on my EXP report that something changed,  i checked  my report and saw AMEX updated my closed account to "closed at consumers request in good standing"....with a $3 balance. Got on chat and immediatley asked the rep why my positive and closed account was reporting a $3.16 balance and he said interest charges.  I explained to him nicely(the whole time) that the rep who closed my account down made note that i would not have to pay the interest and finance charges.

He kept repeating that it was from january and said it was part of the 2nd part of the balance.  I asked him why is it showing now and even showed him the T&C from my SPG app.  He kept arguing that it was interest accrued before the account closed down, and my counter to him was that it was paid off down to $0 for over a week before the statement cut.  He wouldnt hear it out and kept referring to their t&c on finance charges, got sick of hearing it and just agreed to pay it.  Now i have to call their credit bureau department to try and get this updated on my reports. I dont really want to call if this is going to run me in even more circles

Message 53 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Amex has been good to me via phone and chat but good god they are more frustrating than Cap 1 and trying to get goodwill.

Scenario 1: I applied for a business card and was instantly denied.  i called the phone # on the denail letter  a few days after to appeal my case as I just closed a personal account with a $0 in goodstanding(was confirmed  posted and updated in their system by amex rep who did it and gave #), long wait times, basically got no where.  I also made sure to ask the rep if I WOULD NOT have to pay any finance charges since the account was closed and paid off before the statement cut date.  Rep kept saying I wouldnt have to worry about interest/finance charges.

Waited a few days and then tried calling the  number again(on the enial letter) and I basically got tossed around to 4 different departments trying to appeal and plead.  Got tossed around 2 different underwriting departments and then 2 new account departments for a simple appeal because each rep pointed me in that direction.  After almost 1.5 hours on the phone i FINALLY got approval. It was the most frustrating thing ever.

Scenario 2:  Yesterday I got an alert on my EXP report that something changed,  i checked  my report and saw AMEX updated my closed account to "closed at consumers request in good standing"....with a $3 balance. Got on chat and immediatley asked the rep why my positive and closed account was reporting a $3.16 balance and he said interest charges.  I explained to him nicely(the whole time) that the rep who closed my account down made note that i would not have to pay the interest and finance charges.

He kept repeating that it was from january and said it was part of the 2nd part of the balance.  I asked him why is it showing now and even showed him the T&C from my SPG app.  He kept arguing that it was interest accrued before the account closed down, and my counter to him was that it was paid off down to $0 for over a week before the statement cut.  He wouldnt hear it out and kept referring to their t&c on finance charges, got sick of hearing it and just agreed to pay it.  Now i have to call their credit bureau department to try and get this updated on my reports. I dont really want to call if this is going to run me in even more circles

I have dealt with their credit reporting department before... if you don’t want a migraine, just let it get updated when they do their next cycle... 

Message 54 of 68
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The situation with the trailing interest charge is not something to blame the CSR for. The cardholder has responsibility to pay the account to zero, then let a statement print, to see whether any other charges, such as trailing interest, turn up. In this situation it sounds like there was known interest charges on the prior statement so expect trailing interest for sure. Trying to get a CSR to “make a note” about something automated is not going to stop the automation.  

This can not be classified as a customer service problem. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 55 of 68
Dilbert934
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What is wrong with having non-US perosonnel? 

Half the time you can't understand what they are saying.

Message 56 of 68
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

Amex is the best bank I have dealt with, with customer service. That said, I ALWAYS contact them via Chat. I am no centurion nor platinum nor longtime Amex member. I only had my first card with them 2016, and my 2nd on 2018 - both cobranded cards.

Again, never really called them because I hate speaking with people. Chat is the way to go for me. They all get 5 stars in my survey.

Message 57 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

My experience w AMEX is the customer service is quite good - I have both Platnium and Blue Cash cards. The reps for Platinum seem to be a bit sharper and more solicitus but the Blue Cash line isn't noticbly diferent.  

Occasionally, I'll get an off shore rep who's a bit hard to understand but they seem to try hard to resolve issues and are always polite. That said, you can request an "on shore" rep and they will transfer you to somone in the US w/o batting an eye. 

Also worth noting ... AMEX reads the customer surveys. I filled one out that was sent to me after a call with a rep where I didn't get a clear answer and got a call back from a a supervisor the next day who made sure I got the info I needed. Pretty impressive. 

Message 58 of 68
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Jnbmom wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:
I am interested to hear what the specific questions are which the OP was trying to get answered.

As well, those who don’t like their response from AMEX could please clarify what they were trying to accomplish.

Exactly. 

How much time you have Smiley LOL Smiley LOL

Well I had called in regards of a CLI and the reason on the denial letter, this was after I was prompted by my online chat session to call as "they understood my point", phone rep read me the script and when I explained that my payment didn't bounce but it was missing a number on my checking account number and honestly it should not have cleared and been verified when adding the payment account and prior to me using it, the rep didn't skip a beat and reread the same script, but did add that after some time it wouldn't count against me, but the were not rude just not very friendly.

Another time the had denied DH for increase stating he hadn't used his card for X amount of months, even though he never got the "credit steps to speak" email, however he did use card, they claimed he did not even though statement history said he had, rep didn't care said he was reading his online account wrong yeah ok lol.

DH had closed a few cards that he wasn't using, the rep never once asked him or even suggested on trying to keep the card.

My other encountered down the road a bit I called after I applied for a CLI, I thought "sometime may have passed", but apparently it didn't, so when I called to inquire the rep said no we don't have your request on file, was I sure I applied. I said yes well he said nope I don't see anything would you like to apply, yes dummy me and denied again, then get connected to another rep who was a little rude and asked why I would apply twice in one week Excuse me uggggg.

And then my last denial reason was absurd, so I have decided to SD them, not take it personal and let their reps drive me nuts, it's just business but sometimes I think their reps need a refresher course.

I'm just reading this 5 days later, so apologies if it's covered later in the thread, but this sounds like you were speaking with underwriting, not a customer service representative.  Amex generally has amazing customer service; other than Bank of America, I am not sure of any lender that has generally pleasant and upbeat underwriters.

Message 59 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Jnbmom wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

Exactly. 

How much time you have Smiley LOL Smiley LOL

Well I had called in regards of a CLI and the reason on the denial letter, this was after I was prompted by my online chat session to call as "they understood my point", phone rep read me the script and when I explained that my payment didn't bounce but it was missing a number on my checking account number and honestly it should not have cleared and been verified when adding the payment account and prior to me using it, the rep didn't skip a beat and reread the same script, but did add that after some time it wouldn't count against me, but the were not rude just not very friendly.

Another time the had denied DH for increase stating he hadn't used his card for X amount of months, even though he never got the "credit steps to speak" email, however he did use card, they claimed he did not even though statement history said he had, rep didn't care said he was reading his online account wrong yeah ok lol.

DH had closed a few cards that he wasn't using, the rep never once asked him or even suggested on trying to keep the card.

My other encountered down the road a bit I called after I applied for a CLI, I thought "sometime may have passed", but apparently it didn't, so when I called to inquire the rep said no we don't have your request on file, was I sure I applied. I said yes well he said nope I don't see anything would you like to apply, yes dummy me and denied again, then get connected to another rep who was a little rude and asked why I would apply twice in one week Excuse me uggggg.

And then my last denial reason was absurd, so I have decided to SD them, not take it personal and let their reps drive me nuts, it's just business but sometimes I think their reps need a refresher course.

I'm just reading this 5 days later, so apologies if it's covered later in the thread, but this sounds like you were speaking with underwriting, not a customer service representative.  Amex generally has amazing customer service; other than Bank of America, I am not sure of any lender that has generally pleasant and upbeat underwriters.

I am sure anyone who has to tell people no all day to people who have already been told no before would tend to be unpleasant.  

Message 60 of 68
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.