cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Hilton offer code 15 months after bankruptcy discharge legit or marketing?

tag
bmmob
Established Member

AMEX Hilton offer code 15 months after bankruptcy discharge legit or marketing?

I received a custom offer code in the mail from Hilton Honors for up to 200,000 point bonus and special intro APR of 0% for 12 months. I am weary not because of the offer code itself but because it is coming from AMEX/Hilton not even 2 years post bankruptcy discharge. From my understanding, offer codes are normally iffy and not guaranteed but from reasearch and what not, if offer codes come from institutions like Chase and AMEX that means your approval chances are more solid than if it were to come from someone like Capital One, correct? Please correct me if I am wrong. What stands out to me is when I go type in my offer code it states that my variable APR after the 12 month 0% APR will be 15.24%-19.24% but clicking on the offer terms it states that the APR will be 15.74% to 24.74% depending on blah blah blah (you all know the drill). I did not burn AMEX because I did not have them to burn. So, is this special offer just marketing based off my hilton honors account or more of a pre approval given that 15.24% APR of which is lower than the 15.74% listed on the offer terms page that everyone sees and the 0% intro? 

Edit: I just realized the 15.24% to 19.24% is the APR specfically for the Surpass Card which is the one with the $95 annual fee. So, how would I qualify for the 15.24% to 19.24% on both cards if the no annual fee card starts at 15.74%? 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
rosco75
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX Hilton offer code 15 months after bankruptcy discharge legit or marketing?

This is interesting as it was my understanding that AMEX wasnt too BK friendly. Maybe their promotional pulls dont see the BK? 

Message 2 of 11
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: AMEX Hilton offer code 15 months after bankruptcy discharge legit or marketing?

@rosco75 wrote:

This is interesting as it was my understanding that AMEX wasnt too BK friendly. Maybe their promotional pulls dont see the BK? 

Their policy is to autodeny applicants with a BK less than 5 yrs + 1 month old that did not IIB them.   If they were IIB it'll be even longer, depending upon the individual circumstances.

Getting a mailer doesn't mean that they are making an exception to their policy. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@bmmob wrote:

I received a custom offer code in the mail from Hilton Honors for up to 200,000 point bonus and special intro APR of 0% for 12 months. I am weary not because of the offer code itself but because it is coming from AMEX/Hilton not even 2 years post bankruptcy discharge. From my understanding, offer codes are normally iffy and not guaranteed but from reasearch and what not, if offer codes come from institutions like Chase and AMEX that means your approval chances are more solid than if it were to come from someone like Capital One, correct? Please correct me if I am wrong. What stands out to me is when I go type in my offer code it states that my variable APR after the 12 month 0% APR will be 15.24%-19.24% but clicking on the offer terms it states that the APR will be 15.74% to 24.74% depending on blah blah blah (you all know the drill). I did not burn AMEX because I did not have them to burn. So, is this special offer just marketing based off my hilton honors account or more of a pre approval given that 15.24% APR of which is lower than the 15.74% listed on the offer terms page that everyone sees and the 0% intro? 

Edit: I just realized the 15.24% to 19.24% is the APR specfically for the Surpass Card which is the one with the $95 annual fee. So, how would I qualify for the 15.24% to 19.24% on both cards if the no annual fee card starts at 15.74%? 

No, the offer codes are meaningless in the context they're simply used for tracking purposes of a given marketing solicitation, in this case their partnership with the Hilton program. The codes are simply tied to the promotion or SUB, not a guaranteed approval.

Since you mentioned you didn't IIB or burn AmEx, then the typicall wait time is 5 years + 1 month (give or take) for AmEx to consider your application given the presence of BK on your reports. The offer will not circumvent their internal UW processes as mentioned upthread.  These marketing offers are typically generated on behalf of AmEx by a third party.

Message 4 of 11
dragontears
Senior Contributor

In my experience, these types of offers for hotel/airline cards are initiated by the hotel/airline and are just marketing. 

My guess is you have a Hilton account or have stayed at one in the past

Message 5 of 11
bmmob
Established Member

Is it common for APRs to be completely different on the offer and terms than what is normally listed? 

Message 6 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@bmmob wrote:

Is it common for APRs to be completely different on the offer and terms than what is normally listed? 

Yes.

Message 7 of 11
ToofDoc
Contributor

I had the exact same marketing post card couple of days ago. I was like WHAAAT?   I KNOW Amex don't want me since I burnt them over $50K with 3 cards in my Ch7 23 months ago.

I believe it's just a non-specific marketing! You and I will be for sure denied!

I think you should try for us and see.

Message 8 of 11
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@ToofDoc wrote:

I had the exact same marketing post card couple of days ago. I was like WHAAAT?   I KNOW Amex don't want me since I burnt them over $50K with 3 cards in my Ch7 23 months ago.

I believe it's just a non-specific marketing! You and I will be for sure denied!

😂😆🤣

Warning/pleading. Don't take the bait. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 11
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

@ToofDoc wrote:

😂😆🤣

Warning/pleading. Don't take the bait. 

This!  You wouldn't be on their blocklist as you didn't IIB them, so they will HP from Experian first then deny you for applying too soon after your BK.  No chance of successful recon.

Enough data points exist to know the outcome, this path is pretty well worn.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.