Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX - Marriott

tag
IntegerIntrovert
Frequent Contributor

AMEX - Marriott

Hi-

Last year I signed up for the Marriott card from Amex, however there was no intro bonus so I cancelled it within 60 days.  Now when I go to apply (w/the 100k offer) it says that I had the card before and cannot get the sign up bonus.  Is that true since I didn't get a bonus before?

Thanks for any insight!

EQ - 809 / TU - 817 / EX - 817

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX - Marriott

Yes, most certainly likely true.

Closing a card like that can also put you in pop up jail for other Amex cards as well.

Message 2 of 4
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

While some other card issuers use rules that you cannot receive a signup bonus if you have received one for the card (and often similar products) in "the past XX months," with Amex they are once per lifetime and you are generally ineligible for a Welcome Offer on any card that you have ever had previously (there are some exceptions, but for most people here that will hold true), even if it was due to a product change, upgrade, or downgrade.

No Amex Marriott (or Starwood Preferred Guest prior to it) credit card has ever not had a welcome offer.  Were you specifically excluded from it previously during the application process, or just not meet the spending requirement?

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a bummer, now the only way to get the Marriott bonus is with Chase. Or possibly the Bonvoy Biz, but it's much lower.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.