Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX OBC Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX OBC Question

Does the extra rewards % kick in once you have 6.5k in reward category spend or total spend?

the majority of my purchases are in gas, food in various forms (restaurant, fast food & groceries), drugstores. Occasional Costco or target runs but I would use the new citi card  in April for the former. 

Im just trying to get a head start on figuring out what Amex should replace the Costco card. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX OBC Question

total spend

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's an OBC? lol 

Message 3 of 7
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What's an OBC? lol 

AMEX Old "Blue Cash".

5% on groceries, gas, drugstores upto an annual spend of $50k. But you get 1% or less for the first $6.5k. Great card for those with very large spends.

Message 4 of 7
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Does the extra rewards % kick in once you have 6.5k in reward category spend or total spend?

the majority of my purchases are in gas, food in various forms (restaurant, fast food & groceries), drugstores. Occasional Costco or target runs but I would use the new citi card  in April for the former. 

Im just trying to get a head start on figuring out what Amex should replace the Costco card. 

Once Costco kicks AMEX to the curb, likely won't get "Grocery category" spend on any AMEX, if Costco even accepts AMEX after that. Restaurant/FF is not OBC category, and Target neither.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Once Costco kicks AMEX to the curb, likely won't get "Grocery category" spend on any AMEX, if Costco even accepts AMEX after that. Restaurant/FF is not OBC category, and Target neither.

Yes, OBC is really a niche card for either

a) those with heavy grocery and/or drug store spend (only 4 drugstore chains are covered, but they are the big ones)

b) Those still willing to MS on it, although the cap gets in the way.

For high gas spend, there are better cards that give 5% without need for an additional spend.

Message 6 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Answered above but it is covered on the AmEx site:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/blue-cash/25330

For your first $6,500 in purchases in a reward year, you will receive 1% on Everyday Purchases, and 0.5% on other purchases. After your first $6,500 in purchases, you will receive 5% on Everyday Purchases up to $50,000 and 1% on other purchases.

I guess it could be a bit confusing but "purchases" on its own means all purchases versus "Everday purchases" and "other purchases".  The $6,5000 mark is determined by (all) purchases as the word is not qualifed with "Everyday" or "other".

@Anonymous wrote:

Occasional Costco or target runs but I would use the new citi card  in April for the former. 

Were you using the True Earnings at Costco?  It generally was not a good card for rewards on Costco purchases aside form gettting 3% on Costco gas and 2% on Costco travel.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.