Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Pay Over Time?

tag
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

AMEX Pay Over Time?

Hey guys.

So today I got a letter in the mail from AMEX saying they're making changes to my account effective Jan 1st, and I have until Dec 31st to cancel my account if I don't want it (basically, you're taking this or we're closing your account). Well on the back it listed something called "pay over time" and to me it sounds basically like a credit limit. I'm kind of confused as to what exactly it is.

I'm assuming it's a good thing, right? It says my Pay Over Time limit will be $35,000. That seems ridiculously high. Am I understanding something wrong or what? I may call Amex because I'm so confused right now lol. It doesn't list anything like interest rate, or even really how it works.

Can anyone offer some insight on this? It's for my Zync card. 

Photobucket
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX Pay Over Time?

Pay over time is a really neat feature that allows you to select larger purchases and pay them as installments. Its on other charge cards but zync was previously not enrolled in this feature. For more info go to https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/pay-over-time/loc.html
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 18
LesWH
Established Contributor

@FloridaState12 wrote:

Hey guys.

So today I got a letter in the mail from AMEX saying they're making changes to my account effective Jan 1st, and I have until Dec 31st to cancel my account if I don't want it (basically, you're taking this or we're closing your account). Well on the back it listed something called "pay over time" and to me it sounds basically like a credit limit. I'm kind of confused as to what exactly it is.

I'm assuming it's a good thing, right? It says my Pay Over Time limit will be $35,000. That seems ridiculously high. Am I understanding something wrong or what? I may call Amex because I'm so confused right now lol. It doesn't list anything like interest rate, or even really how it works.

I received the same letter for my AMEX Green.

NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

GC Challenge: App Free since 1/8/13. No more apps til 2014

Message 3 of 18
kekrre
Contributor

@FloridaState12 wrote:

Hey guys.

Everybody has pay over time, and I believe the standard limit is $35k. The interest rate on it is really high and it doesn't mean you can spend up to $35k and carry the balance, it means that if you happen to have anywhere up to a $35k balance on your card, they'll let you carry it for an exorbitant fee. I highly doubt Amex would approve $35k in spending (in a month) for the vast majority of people on this board (conjecture).

I have a feeling that unless your income is equally exorbitant (and they have confirmed this with you[r tax returns]), attempting to carry any balance on a charge card is a surefire way to get either a) a financial review or b) the boot (but at something like 30% interest).

|||||||
Message 4 of 18
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

I got the same notice, everyone should get it as it's a change in terms. I have yet to see Pay Over Time as an option and I spent $28,300 a few months ago on my Gold card with one purchase topping $19,100. Guess I'm not worthy yet...

Message 5 of 18
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

I dont have this Smiley Sad last time i tried the check spendind limit thingy on my green 8k was approved and 11k was approved on goldpr...i guess im not there yet for this offer
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 6 of 18
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@kekrre wrote:

@FloridaState12 wrote:

Hey guys.

Everybody has pay over time, and I believe the standard limit is $35k. The interest rate on it is really high and it doesn't mean you can spend up to $35k and carry the balance, it means that if you happen to have anywhere up to a $35k balance on your card, they'll let you carry it for an exorbitant fee. I highly doubt Amex would approve $35k in spending (in a month) for the vast majority of people on this board (conjecture).

I have a feeling that unless your income is equally exorbitant (and they have confirmed this with you[r tax returns]), attempting to carry any balance on a charge card is a surefire way to get either a) a financial review or b) the boot (but at something like 30% interest).

I disagree with the statement that everyone has this. My account does not have the pay over time option.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 7 of 18
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Pay Over Time has a universal max of 35k. This is true for charge cards all the way up to Centurion. This doesn't mean that any given purchase will be eligible or that it is in some way a CL of 35k. It's just the max for any and all charge cards.  The reason is that they securitize these debts and sell them to accredited folks/institutions interested in higher income rates than you get in an insured bank. Amex has filed SEC disclosures on these puppies and there is a wealth of info on historical default rates amongst other things in these filings.  The 35k limit can be found in these filings as well as the cardmember agreements for each of their charge cards.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 8 of 18
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
Pay over time is a really neat feature that allows you to select larger purchases and pay them as installments. Its on other charge cards but zync was previously not enrolled in this feature. For more info go to https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/pay-over-time/loc.html

Amex has dangled 5k MR points on the web site just for signing up for POT which I haven't done yet. The last time I spoke to a CSR they said they would grant 10k MR points for signing up and pointed out I was under no obligation to actually use it. He even said that lots of people just sign up for the extra MR points. I believe that!

From my POV, POT is kinda like a siggy or world card where you can spend over the CL but just have to pay down below the CL. My siggy and world card both have lower interest rates than Amex's POT.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 9 of 18
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

I'm about to ask the same question since i just received their letter. I had the Green used like 1.8k last months check spending ability for 5k denied. 4k approved.

Wouldnt wanna get myself in debt so forget about that 35000.........They make me miss my CApital one so bad about their $350 credit limit lol......now its 35000.....

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.