Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Question

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: AMEX Question

@Anonymous wrote:

I have two charge cards with them... I've never called them before I've made a purchase and they've never turned me down. I've made many out of the ordinary purchases and made purchases outside of the country when they didn't know I was travelling.

Once they randomly shut off my ability to pay over time when I had a random high balance, but turned it back on when I paid, and I didn't care because I don't use that feature. That's all.

Maybe I'm an exception, but I've never had to call about anything purchase related.

I think that a lot of what we've been seeing has applied to new cardholders within the last year, as the financial sector has gotten so jittery.

I've called AmEx three times since getting my Gold to tell them it would be traveling (Minneapolis, New Orleans, and Ireland.) Each time, the CSR thanked me for calling, said it was a good idea, asked the exact dates of travel, and once asked about how much might be charged.

I'd say that if you've had cards for a number of years, and AmEx is used to you, it's not such a big deal. I work on the better-safe-than-sorry theory.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 21 of 26
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:
I think that a lot of what we've been seeing has applied to new cardholders within the last year, as the financial sector has gotten so jittery.

I've called AmEx three times since getting my Gold to tell them it would be traveling (Minneapolis, New Orleans, and Ireland.) Each time, the CSR thanked me for calling, said it was a good idea, asked the exact dates of travel, and once asked about how much might be charged.

I'd say that if you've had cards for a number of years, and AmEx is used to you, it's not such a big deal. I work on the better-safe-than-sorry theory.

Agreed

Agreed

Agreed
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 22 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

That makes a lot of sense.  I guess they can predict that I will be unpredictable, haha.
Message 23 of 26
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@MidnightVoice wrote:

Agreed

Agreed

Agreed

Agreed. Smiley Happy
Here we go again...
Message 24 of 26
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
That makes a lot of sense. I guess they can predict that I will be unpredictable, haha.

Agreed! Smiley Very Happy

Actually, I think that they know by now that you travel, and that you're good for it. You're not an unknown quantity like the rest of us.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 25 of 26
honeybrook1
Regular Contributor

Okay...well maybe I can stop being a chicken about using the darn thing.  I've had it for 8 days...I almost broke down and used it at Barnes & Noble last night for 3 books.  Since I've had the card, though, I have paid off 2 CC's and paid down another.  I was reading about all the softs that AMEX does, so I thought it would be a good idea to get my utility down a little bit. 

Again, great advice everyone.  I wouldn't even have this card if it wasn't for this website and the great people who are a part of it...THANKS!!Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 718
Current Score: 718
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.