Did you mean: 

AMEX Reinstatement DENIED, scores DROPPED -75, then SUCCESS Reinstatment Story

tag
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX Reinstatement DENIED and scores DROPPED !HELP!g

Exactly @MJT

I’m so obsessive—honestly, I’m not lying—I check my bank and CC accounts daily. I also have a spread sheet and I use the CheckbookPro app to track expenses daily. So, I know at a glance if all my numbers aren’t aligned.

It’s worth it too because it is mind-boggling how one minor mishap can cause so much damage to one’s scores.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 51 of 57
sjt
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX Reinstatement DENIED !HELP!

@Anonymous wrote:

@HeavenOhio wrote:

If I remember correctly, the AMEX rep make it sound like reinstatement was a rather routine thing. The appearance of the baddies wasn't rountine, though.

All I know is that when they went to try and reinstate both accounts, that's when AMEX went back to look over my Experian profile and seen the BoA issues. That was stated in the mail letter that I got from them for the denial reasons. Thankfully TU and EQ have my scores back to the 750's and 780's since receiving the update BoA credit profile. Just waiting on EX to update so I can then state my case again with AMEX.

The main thing is that BofA removed the late and that will bump your score back up. Amex reinstatement would be the icing.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 52 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Reinstatement DENIED then SUCCESS

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello myFICO forums!

I'm reaching out to get your solid advice in regards to a similar situation I have right now.

Accounts deactivated (both in the last two) due to no use in "x" amount of days.

- Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card (opened in June 2018) had no balance

- Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card (opened in June 2018) had no balance

When I applied for both cards, myFICO scores were between 780 to 752 across the board. Last month in August I was blind sided by my scores dropping about 75-70 points each! Come to find out, one of my Bank of America cards didn't have my auto payment set up like I thought I had, and was 30 days past due Smiley Sad I have never had any issues like this before, EVER. I called BOA immediatly to pay in full (74 dollars) and solve the issue. I explained to them my situation and they were able to remove it (as if it never happened) from my credit file successfully back during the end of Aug/beginning of Sep. I have yet to see my scores shoot back up to 750+ across the board, so I have disputed the prior BOA claims with all 3 Credit Bureaus. Hopefully they see now that the BOA past due claim is no longer there and my scores will climb back up to where they were. Should be getting results sometime in OCT.

With that explained, I called Amex to have both cards reinstated which were closed on Sep 6 and Sep 16. They made it seem as if it was no big deal and I should be reinstated without issue due to my history with Amex. I also have others card including (main card) Amex Plat, Amex Plat Business, Amex Gold, and Amex Blue Cash Preferred. Never had any issue with these other cards ever, all in good standing. I just received Amex's decision of DENIED for both cards to be reinstated via today in the mail. I didn't know that they would recheck my credit profile (which they didn't state on the phone). It stated that  MyFico score at the time of my account close read 685 and stated something in regards to my "past due payment" situation as well and other "default typical" factors of denial. I called Amex underwritting and they couldn't help me because I don't have an "application" for this process and said I needed to call Customer Service. Should I speak to a Supervisor?

I would like to have these cards reinstated without having to re-apply, but it's looking like they might be pushing me towards that if I want the cards. Any advice on how to possibly go about reinstatement? Thanks in advance for any contribution! I really appriciate this!

!!UPDATE 1!!

So I reached out to Bank of America in regards to the removal of my late payment (delinquency) during Aug from all my credit reports. They confirmed that soon as I called for removal (back on Aug 22), they put in and approved the request for removal right then and it was successful removed from my Bank of America profile completely on Sep 17. On the Bank of America side, they said my BOA profile shows no history of any late payments or delinquent status EVER as of today. 

I let them know that at the moment I don't see this updated on my credit reports. BOA told me that they would be sending me a letter in the mail confirming that on my BOA profile there is no history of late payment/delinquency status and that they have sent out a request to update my BOA profile to all credit bureaus. This will be included in the letter as well.

I wonder should I call AMEX with this information now, or should I wait and send this in? My DENIAL letters from Amex specifiaclly stated denial factors including "The number of accounts that have or had a delinquency" and "The time since your latest reporteddelinquency is too recent or unknown"Hopefully this will help my chances of getting my cards reinstated.  Thanks for the help everyone! I will keep you all posted once I get new update.

Update 2

So I opened a dispute with all 3 CB's back on Sept 26. BoA stated they removed history of any late payments or delinquent status from my Bank of America profile completely on Sep 17. BoA told me it could possibly take 60 days for it reflect at all 3 CB's. They also just sent me a letter, which I know have, confirming this action.

With that being said (with disputes in motion) Experian got back to me first yesterday about the results of my dispute and stated that what they have on file is correct, which isn't the updated file in which BoA said they sent out. So I still have the error on file unfortunatley. I thought that the CB's check back with the creditor who stated the issue to confirm the dispute?? If that's the case, shouldn't BoA had told them that?? I'm wondering now should I attached my BoA letter to the dispute results and see if that will "change" things or should I just sit patiently and wait for the 60 days to see if things change that way. I haven't heard back from Transunion or Equifax yet. Hopefully this will all work it self out, and I will get both of my AMEX accounts back in full.

* Titanic sad music * followed by * Gladiator Maximus dropping to his knees *

So yesterdy after two months, I was FINALLY able to get BOTH of my AMEX accounts/cards reinstated (at the same CL they were before) that were closed out by AMEX due to inactive use and the delinquent late payment status on my BoA account via EX. It was a long journey and took much PATIENCE over 2 months. Both denial letters stated that AMEX did basically a soft pull against my EX profile.

I was very persistent and non stop at BoA and each CB's throat! A LOT of muscling + bulldozing (Robot MadTU and EX customer serviceRobot Mad), tracking down contact/fax numbers via google, put together a 11 page document for justification and more, 60 dollars in faxing, and talking with supervisors to get the delinquency late payment removed immediatly and scores to change.  Here's the run down.

EQ
- Didn't give me any issues at all. Updated accordingly in a timely fashion right after my post on Oct 5. So nothing to report.

TU 
- Corrected my profile on Oct 7 (score shot up back 75+ points) and then somehow the error showed up again on Oct 12/week later (on a weekend so I had to wait until that Monday), so my score tanked 70+ points twice (1st time back in Aug). I was livid! I called BoA to make sure the error wasn't on their end, and they confirmed it wasn't. So TU was the culprit. I learned that you have to go straight to the supervisor in the US and skip the "outsourced robotic scripted" call centers (rubs temples ... fustration isn't the word) if you want anything quickly done....NEVER FORGET THAT. I had that error corrected the same day (Oct 15) I made 4 different phone calls and faxing (60 dollars due to TU making me send my docs all over the Special Handling Dept 3 times through out the day) via an 11 page document with a justification letter, BoA letter proof of correction, and score charts from MyFICO and CK. This was an all day process but I got it all sitauted RIGHT BEFORE CLOSING by a supervisor. I wasn't getting off the phone until TU confirmed that the "error showing up again after TU corrected it a week before" was correct AGAIN. 

EX
- They took the longest to update (JUST NOW AS I TYPED THEY UPDATED MYFICO SCORE ... 9 DAYS AFTER UPDATE MADE BY EX SUPERVISOR). Denied my dispute initally and tried to move forward without correcting my profile. I wasn't letting this one pass me as well because that was inaccurate. This also was an all day process. I finally got a supervisor on the phone very late into the evening. While on the phone, I uploaded my 11 page document to the EX Dispute Center (stated before, with proof of report/score updates from TU and EQ). I had also uploaded the document a week earlier and they told me at first it would take 5 business days to see the documents in the system and report back to me (EX never did). I guess "2nd Time" charm got the job done. The supervisor at first couldn't find my documents after 20 min of looking and was about to let me off the phone and have me wait another 5 days Robot Mad. He ran a different search for my documents at an "last attempt" and were able to see both times of document submission and made the correction RIGHT ON THE SPOT and closed out my other dispute cases. This 1 Hr 15 min call was right after my resolve with TU ON THE SAME DAY. !2 FOR 1 SPECIAL! A few days went by without my EX score updating via MyFICO. I was about to buy a 3B report from MyFICO to "trigger" my EX score to update. I went with Experian Website and CCT for 1 dollar instead and was able to see the update (82+) on my EX score. MyFICO takes a long time with EX Smiley Sad

AMEX
- I reached out to AMEX and spoke with a supervisor. I explained to them my situation and that I would like both of my closed out AMEX accounts reinstated WITHOUT A HARD PULL AND/OR HAVING TO RE APPLY ALL OVER AGAIN. They agreed to a soft pull but didn't guarantee reinstatement so if denied for just one account, I would have to re apply all over again. I agreed and they came back a minute later with the GREAT NEWS!

AND .... IT'S OVER. Over these two months I've learned many lessons from this situation and will keep this whole experience in mind moving forward. SUPERVISOR TALK ALWAYS. These CB's "online dispute/support" process is very shaky AT BEST. I rather go and talk DIRECT to who can help! It's a lengthy process and I NEVER GAVE UP. MAJOR Thanks for all the suggestions and support to everyone who commented! It helped me TONS!

!NEVER GIVE UP!

Message 53 of 57
sjt
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX Reinstatement DENIED then SUCCESS

I love happy endings!

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 54 of 57
csl1
Contributor

Forgive the crude method of quoting; I am still learning how to use the forums... Just wanted to acknowledge how helpful this part of Llewellyn's response was: "I did not notice that the credit card statement before the due date had no message confirming the upcoming auto-pay..."

I'm rebuilding my credit and have been setting my new cards to autopay. I've worried about it failing and wasn't sure of the best way to monitor whether the payments happen as scheduled from month to month. It would never have occurred to me to check for such a notation on my cc bill. I'm learning so much on these forums. Thank you.
☞ Credit Cards: NFCU AmEx, NFCU Visa Signature, PenFed Pathfinder Visa, Truist Enjoy Cash, Discover It, Capital One SavorOne, Citi BB Visa, Paypal MC, PayPal Store Card, CareCredit, Cap1QS1
♛ Total Credit Lines: $52,750
⚖ Chapter 7 Discharge: October 2018
☼ Credit Scores: Mid to High 600s
☮ Gardening As of May 13, 2022

Message 55 of 57
3se7ens
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX Reinstatement DENIED, scores DROPPED -75, then SUCCESS Reinstatment Story

After reading this thread man I literally just set up Auto-Pay on ALL of my accts.
I've come way too far, no excuses. Thanks for sharing. Smiley Wink

As of 3/2022

EQ.-721  |  TU.-731  |  EX.-708

Top Cards:

AmEx Gold - $10,000 POT. BofA Americard $17,000 NFCU CR. $16,000 NFCU Plat.$15,000 FNBO Visa $14,800

Disco Miles $14,000 Chase FU $13,900 USAA Signature $13,000  PayPal MC $10,000 

Macy's AmEx $25,000 Macy's AmEx (upgraded) $25,000

Message 56 of 57
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

@csl1 wrote:
Forgive the crude method of quoting; I am still learning how to use the forums... Just wanted to acknowledge how helpful this part of Llewellyn's response was: "I did not notice that the credit card statement before the due date had no message confirming the upcoming auto-pay..."

I'm rebuilding my credit and have been setting my new cards to autopay. I've worried about it failing and wasn't sure of the best way to monitor whether the payments happen as scheduled from month to month. It would never have occurred to me to check for such a notation on my cc bill. I'm learning so much on these forums. Thank you.

When you want to quote, just click the blue "quote" button on the upper right after you hit reply.

You can then, bold, change color or even erase parts of the quote to highlight that to which you are replying.

CHEERS

Message 57 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.