Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX card closure question

tag
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

AMEX card closure question

Hello folks,

My AMEX PRG card AF will post in the next statement (i.e. Feb). My question is, can I cancel the card without paying the AF after the statement posts, or do I have to do it before that?

I have some points that will post in that statement, that I had hoped to redeem. It's not a lot, but I'll be happier to not let them go to waste. I have no pending charges. My Jan statement posted with 0 balance, and I am not charging anything this month, if that helps. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
mattmyFIC0
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX card closure question

@Ghoshida wrote:

Hello folks,

My AMEX PRG card AF will post in the next statement (i.e. Feb). My question is, can I cancel the card without paying the AF after the statement posts, or do I have to do it before that?

I have some points that will post in that statement, that I had hoped to redeem. It's not a lot, but I'll be happier to not let them go to waste. I have no pending charges. My Jan statement posted with 0 balance, and I am not charging anything this month, if that helps. 

When my AF posted on my PRG a couple months I called for retention offers and they told they didn't have anything so I went ahead and cancelled the card. The AF was refunded soon after.

Scores 01/04/2017: EQ 719, TU 750, EX 716
Goal scores: 740 across the board
Message 2 of 10
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Ghoshida wrote:

Hello folks,

Doesn't Amex refund you the AF if you cancel within 30 days of the AF posting? 

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let it post, use the points, and then close it. You should be fine if done before 30 days after AF hits.
Message 4 of 10
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@mattmyFIC0 wrote:

When my AF posted on my PRG a couple months I called for retention offers and they told they didn't have anything so I went ahead and cancelled the card. The AF was refunded soon after.

Thanks mattmyFIC0, that's a helpful datapoint.

@DeeBee78 wrote:

Doesn't Amex refund you the AF if you cancel within 30 days of the AF posting? 

Didn't know what their standard practice is with this, thanks for the info DeeBee78!

Message 5 of 10
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Let it post, use the points, and then close it. You should be fine if done before 30 days after AF hits.

Cool, that settles it then! Thanks 12velectronics!

Message 6 of 10
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Ghoshida wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Cool, that settles it then! Thanks 12velectronics!

I recall seeing the 30 day period before as well... maybe @Anonymous will be able to clarify for us.  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 10
elim
Senior Contributor

I closed mine just before the statement cut and they sent me a $30 check. I assume it was prorated AF? no clue.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

From my understanding they don't do prorated AF's anymore?
Message 9 of 10
elim
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
From my understanding they don't do prorated AF's anymore?

Yeah I didn't think so.  I had a 0 balance (and no use)  for 1 statement, Transfered all my rewards. and they sent me a statement credit via check with no explanation from  "Travel Related Services" 

The card was open 23.7 months.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.