Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX credit steps

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX credit steps

My 5th statement will be cutting in the next few days, so I'm wondering what my chances of an increase are actually going to be.  I had attempted to request an increase already and was denied due to length of history and high utilization on the card.  I have since paid the card down and currently only owe a plan it balance that's just around $100 (with a $500 SL).  I know the credit steps is not a guarantee of an increase, but is it something that typically happens after the 5th statement?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: AMEX credit steps

Did you get an email stating you were going to get an increase after the fifth statement? Reason I ask is according to AMEX there is no such thing program called "credit steps" grrr dont get me started with them.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 10
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Yeah, don't call it "credit steps" if you call in or chat. That's what Capital One calls their similar program.

I think if you've followed the rules, you'll get the increase. But if I remember correctly, it may come late in the statement period after you've completed your requirements. Just make sure to keep following the rules of the program until you see the CLI.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I did get the email stating that there would be a CLI after the 5th statement.  I had mentioned it in a previous post in the forum and someone had referred to it as credit steps, so I assumed that was actually a thing.  I do recall that the email stated that the CLI would happen so long as I still met the conditions, payments were current and there had not been a CLI prior to the 5th statement.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

The program is commonly referred to as "credit steps" (notice the quotation marks) in these forums because of its similarity to Capital One's Credit Steps.  However, that name does not exist in Amex's nomenclature which is why its generally written with quotes around it.  As long as you comply with the requirements outlined in the email you received, you will get a 2X credit line increase at 181 days from the date the card was approved.

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, I did get the email stating that there would be a CLI after the 5th statement.  I had mentioned it in a previous post in the forum and someone had referred to it as credit steps, so I assumed that was actually a thing.  I do recall that the email stated that the CLI would happen so long as I still met the conditions, payments were current and there had not been a CLI prior to the 5th statement.

Message 5 of 10
Gemini77

I also received an email after approval stating that after 5 statements, “credit steps”, that I could get an increase from my $500 SL. Not sure if this is a canned message that accompanies this particular SL or if others with SL higher have also gotten said email. I also read that some people still request and receive a cli at the 61 day threshold. I imagine in that case you’d fair higher odds of an cli by having a Zero Balance or under 10% of the stingy limit. I’d might add my discover card SL was 10K, and scores only 15 pts higher that what was pulled for Amex. I think they trust few initially as I’ve read on several forums people with 700+ scores start with the same 500 SL. Just have to have patience and roll with the 3x SL per Amex schedule...limits will compound to a healthy amount where maintaining 10% util. will still grant one a reasonable spend threshold.
Message 6 of 10
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Make sure you charge something every month or they will not give you a CLI . We didn't use it in Feb they would not grant increase. This is in reference to those on the "credit step program thats not called that 😕" lol

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 7 of 10
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Yup. Make sure you use it each month, make a payment each month, and make sure your statments cut with positive balances. Do this until you have the bonus in hand.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It should happen somewhere between the 5th-7th statement if I remember reading right.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My 6th statement cut today so I’m anticipating the credit steps auto cli to occur within the next few days.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.