Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX frowns on multiple payments???

tag
A1Credit
Established Contributor

AMEX frowns on multiple payments???

I'm looking for a little info regarding this since I was recently approved for an AMEX card with a SL of only $1000.  Obviously $1000 is rather low and does not allow for much spending power.  With that in mind, I planned to use it and make payments frequently to continue to have available credit.  Is this frowned upon and will raise suspicion from AMEX?

***Gardening 3/29/2018 until 9/25/2018***

FICO 8 Scores: EQ~692 l TU~657 l EX~669
Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX frowns on multiple payments???

Amex wants you to make only one payment per billing cycle when your card is new.  After a while you can pay more than once a billing cycle.  There are several threads about this topic.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 2 of 34
A1Credit
Established Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Amex wants you to make only one payment per billing cycle when your card is new.  After a while you can pay more than once a billing cycle.  There are several threads about this topic.

Thanks for the response.  That sucks especially since I want to maximize my reward points. Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 34
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

They only allow one payment a month through their website for the first billing period.   But you can push payments from your bank or mail in a check or whatever.  I don't think there is any evidence that they don't like multiple payments at any time (electronic anyway, if you send in multiple checks a month, there is increased operational cost, but I doubt they would complain)

Message 4 of 34
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

The payments are restricted when the payment account is new. It's not because the card is new. But of course, when a card is new, the payment account is going to be new too. If you add a new payment account down the road, the same restrictions will be applied to that account. But they won't apply to the payment account that's already in place.

During the restricted period, you can make multiple payments up to the amount that's "due." As an example, if your statement balance is $500 and you pay it off $100 at a time, you'll be allowed to do that. I believe you're also allowed one "prepayment" beyond that. I had no trouble making a payment before my first statement cut.

The best thing to do is set up your payment account on the day your card opens. That'll get rid of the restrictions well before your first due date. Along with that, make sure you're clear on the rules going in so you don't "waste" payments you don't need to make. If you're working with a low limit and are trying to meet a spending bonus, you might need to push some of your payments from your bank.

Message 5 of 34
A1Credit
Established Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

The payments are restricted when the payment account is new. It's not because the card is new. But of course, when a card is new, the payment account is going to be new too. If you add a new payment account down the road, the same restrictions will be applied to that account. But they won't apply to the payment account that's already in place.

During the restricted period, you can make multiple payments up to the amount that's "due." As an example, if your statement balance is $500 and you pay it off $100 at a time, you'll be allowed to do that. I believe you're also allowed one "prepayment" beyond that. I had no trouble making a payment before my first statement cut.

The best thing to do is set up your payment account on the day your card opens. That'll get rid of the restrictions well before your first due date. Along with that, make sure you're clear on the rules going in so you don't "waste" payments you don't need to make. If you're working with a low limit and are trying to meet a spending bonus, you might need to push some of your payments from your bank.

I did set my payment account up on the day I was approved so maybe that will help.  

Message 6 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@A1Credit wrote:

I'm looking for a little info regarding this since I was recently approved for an AMEX card with a SL of only $1000.  Obviously $1000 is rather low and does not allow for much spending power.  With that in mind, I planned to use it and make payments frequently to continue to have available credit.  Is this frowned upon and will raise suspicion from AMEX?

I'm also new to Amex as I was recently approved for the BCE. I did an online chat just the other day on this topic with Amex. They told me that on your first billing cycle, you can't make a payment until the first cycle ends. Then after 31 days, you are allowed up to 5 payments in a 24 hour period.

Message 7 of 34
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

There are so many ins and outs that I don't think a rep is going to catch all of them. And when this topic comes up here, I don't think we catch them either. It'd be nice if AMEX offered a thorough FAQ. Yes, I recall that you can pay up to five times in a day. And I think the one "prepayment" thing I mentioned above is valid, especially since I made one. Smiley Happy

Also, I think — but I can't confirm — that if you open subsequent cards and use an existing payment account, there won't be any restrictions.

Message 8 of 34
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

After about 3 to 6 months, you can start making multiple payments with no consequences in my opinion.  I usually pay the minimum the day I get the notification the statement cut and then pay the balance a week or so later.

Guyatthebeach

Message 9 of 34
601flyguy
Established Contributor

This is why i push all my payments from the bank.
2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.