Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX posting AF with statement, no way to report at $0

tag
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

AMEX posting AF with statement, no way to report at $0

Good morning, all. FIRST: I am in no way complaining about AMEX or the way that they do things, just merely trying to give a DP. This may be common knowledge around here, but I just wanted to share my experience with my AF reporting on my Delta Gold card. I had been diligently watching to ensure I could hopefully pay it before statement cut because I wanted to remain AZEO over the next couple of months. Well I checked it multiple times throughout the the last day of the statement just to be sure and it never appeared. The next day it appeared as part of that statement, due on its normal day. It looks like the fee will just be included with the statement and there is no way around a balance reporting on that card for that particular month. Not sure if this was a fluke and it's actually a variable day that it posts and just so happens it is how it ended up for me? It's no big deal to me, but that may be important info for someone about to close on a mortgage, or app for that goal card they have been working so hard toward that is trying to squeeze every last point out of their scores that they can. Just thought I would share. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: AMEX posting AF with statement, no way to report at $0

That's what AMEX does.  Chase does exactly the same thing BTW. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 9
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

@Ficoproblems247  I had that problem on my Amex BCP. I started pushing the fee payment from my bank to Amex before statement closing. That created a negative on my account. Then when the statement closed it went to zero. I have been doing this for a few years now.

Wallet: Amex BCP-45k| Barclays Rewards MC-26.3k| Citi Thank You Preferred-27.5k| Citi Double Cash-14k| Target MC-11.5k| Walmart MC-7.5k| Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature-6k

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 9
blindambition
Senior Contributor

That's common! For Amex and Chase, as stated above.

Your previous statement should have warned that AF would post this month.

Message 4 of 9
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

My Amex annual fees also post on the statement cut date.  On the other hand, my Chase fees seem to post on the 1st of the month.

April 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver
FICO8:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 12 mos | New Accounts: 0/6, 0/12, 2/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 5 of 9
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@blindambition wrote:

That's common! For Amex and Chase, as stated above.

Your previous statement should have warned that AF would post this month.

I was well aware of it posting soon, just didn't know which date. I looked at my statement after I read your post and it is there just like you said. It says "To avoid paying this fee, you may call customer service and cancel your account." Thought that an odd way to word that option lol. I figured that this was more than likely common knowledge, but I just had not recalled reading about it specifically from anyone. Better to share a redundant DP than not at all I guess. Smiley Happy

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 6 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Tonya-E wrote:

@Ficoproblems247  I had that problem on my Amex BCP. I started pushing the fee payment from my bank to Amex before statement closing. That created a negative on my account. Then when the statement closed it went to zero. I have been doing this for a few years now.

I'm glad that you were able to find a way, or else your scores would be even worse than they are now (850/850/846 according to the sig)

Message 7 of 9
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker Oh believe me I know, lol! I experimented last month and let Amex post $1, just $1(I had a 1k balance on my citi card). That was the 1st time in a while I let 2 cards post. I immediately lost 6-7 points on TU and EQ. Any little thing messes with my scores right now. But maintaining them as they are now is not feasible so it doesn't matter.  As long as I stay stable, it's fine. I'm not acquiring anything for the next 2 years.

Wallet: Amex BCP-45k| Barclays Rewards MC-26.3k| Citi Thank You Preferred-27.5k| Citi Double Cash-14k| Target MC-11.5k| Walmart MC-7.5k| Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature-6k

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 9
SanDiegoCredit
New Contributor

@Tonya-E has the solution, time a push payment from your bank to cover the fee.

Credit Age:

Gardening.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.