Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX

tag
babypowder
Established Member

AMEX

I never had an AMEX card before. They have so many options and I/m not sure which one I should apply for. What's the big difference with AMEX and other cards like VISA MC or DISCOVER?
Current Scores (11/24/20):

Credit Cards:
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX

It really depends on your spend categories and if you want annual fees. Many like them for travel rewards. I don't travel often due to my business, but the BCE and BCP are pretty good category specific cashback cards like gas and groceries and I've made heavy use of the AMEX offers too.

Just remember...charge cards with them have to be PIF monthly and the revolvers can carry a balance (BCE/BCP ED/EDP)

To answer your question about what makes it different, the only real difference above and beyond perks is where it is accepted.

Message 2 of 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@babypowder wrote:
I never had an AMEX card before. They have so many options and I/m not sure which one I should apply for. What's the big difference with AMEX and other cards like VISA MC or DISCOVER?

Well, I could write a three page essay on the differences between them (relax, I'm not going to... LOL). 

If you'll be a little more specific with your question, or even better tell us specifically what you're looking for you'll get better replies.  Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 13
babypowder
Established Member

i guess the important question is do they approve apps with BK reporting? I have Chapter 7 discharge in June 2013. I dont want to apply if they are just going to auto deny it.
Current Scores (11/24/20):

Credit Cards:
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@babypowder wrote:

Visa and MasterCard are more widely accepted than Discover and AMEX. With your scores you would easily qualify for a few of the AMEX cards. The Delta Gold is one of the easiest AMEX revolving credit cards to get. The charge cards, from my understanding, all have the same underwriting requirements so if you are approved for one you are likely to get approved for them all.

Message 5 of 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@babypowder wrote:

Visa and MasterCard are more widely accepted than Discover and AMEX. With your scores you would easily qualify for a few of the AMEX cards. The Delta Gold is one of the easiest AMEX revolving credit cards to get. The charge cards, from my understanding, all have the same underwriting requirements so if you are approved for one you are likely to get approved for them all.

I'd hesitate to say "easily"..."possibly" yes...just because a score rebounds doesn't mean an issuer can't see the BK in history.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@babypowder wrote:
i guess the important question is do they approve apps with BK reporting? I have Chapter 7 discharge in June 2013. I dont want to apply if they are just going to auto deny it.

Amex is typically 5 years post file date. Visa/MC is a little more flexible depending on which bank it is. As for Discover, I see you already have one in your signiture.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@babypowder wrote:

I'd hesitate to say "easily"..."possibly" yes...just because a score rebounds doesn't mean an issuer can't see the BK in history.

Good to know. I missed the BK part and yes it will likely show since the discharge was in 2013.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@babypowder wrote:

I use to do the same and compare.. lolz, Don't worry about it, you will end up having all of em anyways. hehehehe

Message 9 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@babypowder wrote:

And the even more important question is whether an Amex card would be useful to you.   What are you goals and spending patterns, and see who, whether Amex, V, MC has a card that suits you, and then see if the BK is going to be an issue.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.