Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About to make chase freedom purchase - quick question

tag
red259
Super Contributor

About to make chase freedom purchase - quick question

I need to make a purchase of a gps device from best buy. Price will be around $200-250 range. If the device is defective will I have any protection with my non-signature chase freedom card? My alternative is to use my visa signature cap 1 card, but I'd rather have the chase points. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

Re: About to make chase freedom purchase - quick question

What kind of protection are you referring to?  The gps unit should already come with a 1 yr warranty.  Do you mean an extended warranty beyond the manufacturers?

Message 2 of 12
enharu
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

I need to make a purchase of a gps device from best buy. Price will be around $200-250 range. If the device is defective will I have any protection with my non-signature chase freedom card? My alternative is to use my visa signature cap 1 card, but I'd rather have the chase points. 

if it is defective, return it to best buy. They will accept all returns unless you have been flagged as a serial abuser of their return policy.

Returning to best buy is really the most convenient and fastest way to get an exchange / refund.

If you are utilizing protection via credit card routes, they sometimes require you to ship the item to them, which can be extremely costly if the item is heavy or big. Most of the time it's also just a big pain in the ass.

if you are talking about extended warranty, then you will need to use a visa signature / world (elite) mastercard / discover / amex for that. Don't count on it though unless it's Amex. Reviews of such claims by Visa and MC have been pretty horrible. Not too sure about Discover.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 12
red259
Super Contributor

Bestbuy apparently only has a 15 day return policy so I won't be back in time if the device turns out to be defective, which is my concern. I think I will just use my venture card for the visa signature protection. Something is better than nothing I would think. 

;
Message 4 of 12
red259
Super Contributor

Or maybe the return policy is just if you want your money back not for defects? I was just thinking a CC may make it easier to deal with a defective product? 

;
Message 5 of 12
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

Like enharu said visa or mc can be pretty bad with claims.  Do you have an Amex?

Also 15 days for returns what about if you exchanged it, is it the same 15 day policy?

Message 6 of 12
enharu
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

Or maybe the return policy is just if you want your money back not for defects? I was just thinking a CC may make it easier to deal with a defective product? 

If you are worried about the 15 day return policy, why not buy the item elsewhere?

Target, Amazon.com, Walmart, etc. are all good alternatives.

I have a silver membership with them so they allow 60 days for returns. If you have that too then you don't have much to worry about it. Most people do not realize that silver members get 60 days. I believe they will be more accomodating if you're doing just an exchange, as opposed to a refund, but this will really depend on the store you are shopping at and the staff working there. Some Best Buy are notorious for having horrible customer service.

Walmart and Target has a 60 or 90 day policy. Amazon has a 30 day policy, but it's somewhat flexible. Costco has a 90 day policy.

If you are planning to just using the item for "test run" purposes, avoid buying it at Amazon, Best Buy and Costco. These 3 retailers have very low tolerance levels for return abuses.

Back to topic.........I wouldn't count on the protection offered by Cap1 and/or visa signature. Most reviews so far have been very bad. The whole process takes a long time, and they try to make it as hard as possible for one to make such claims.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 12
red259
Super Contributor

Think its same policy for return or exchange but I will doublcheck. Obviously I am thinking that I could go to the manufacturer if the product breaks down during initial warranty was just was thinking maybe I could get an extended warranty or better protection via credit card. I don't have an amex otherwise I would have used it for this type of purchase. I ended up using my visa signature venture card. On a side note a few weeks ago I got an email of all these new benfits coming to my freedom card which sound like visa signature benefits, so maybe they are going to convert my card. 

;
Message 8 of 12
red259
Super Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@red259 wrote:

If you are worried about the 15 day return policy, why not buy the item elsewhere?

Target, Amazon.com, Walmart, etc. are all good alternatives.

I have a silver membership with them so they allow 60 days for returns. If you have that too then you don't have much to worry about it. Most people do not realize that silver members get 60 days. I believe they will be more accomodating if you're doing just an exchange, as opposed to a refund, but this will really depend on the store you are shopping at and the staff working there. Some Best Buy are notorious for having horrible customer service.

Walmart and Target has a 60 or 90 day policy. Amazon has a 30 day policy, but it's somewhat flexible. Costco has a 90 day policy.

If you are planning to just using the item for "test run" purposes, avoid buying it at Amazon, Best Buy and Costco. These 3 retailers have very low tolerance levels for return abuses.

Back to topic.........I wouldn't count on the protection offered by Cap1 and/or visa signature. Most reviews so far have been very bad. The whole process takes a long time, and they try to make it as hard as possible for one to make such claims.

Its a last minute purchase for a trip and I do not have easy access to those stores, whereas the best buy is right down the road (my own fault for being a procrastinator). Otherwise I would have gone through one of those stores. I'm not using it for a test run I am planning on using it for future travels as well and figured it would be cheaper to buy one then constantly pay extra to get one with my rentals. Just want to make sure I can get the longest amount of use out of it. Getting a Garmin which I have past positive experience with, so hopefully there won't be any problems. 

;
Message 9 of 12
enharu
Super Contributor

I think you will be fine with a Garmin.

Did you buy the item at best buy yet?
Remember they can match amazon prices. You just have to ask them to.

Garmin has really good customer service from my experience, and their overall reviews are pretty good. Nothing much to worry about! Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.