Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active Cards On Small Purchases

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Active Cards On Small Purchases

Used my credit card many times at food market to pay for bags that cost .11 cents worked for awhile

then employees got wise and recently gave me the bags for free to please management? to avoid swipe fee's? and because

they can't deny any sale no matter how small since they accept major credit cards? this should make for an interesting topic to

discuss.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Active Cards On Small Purchases

Why would you want to do that?

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

OP needs bags for groceries lol

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

.11 Cents kept those accounts open without issue over 4 months other

people were doing it too I bet way before I even thought of it. Also it's not my

fault policy dictates they must accept transactions small and large with a major credit card. Some on

here claim a pack of gum is good then I thought why not swipe for something I usually buy anyways basicly

saved .14 Cents not buying the pack of gum for .25cents. Unsure of bank swipe fee's but I think the retail chain

might have a discount window on x transactions regardless management would discourage such behavior the bags

probably cost more for them because of the swipe fee's hence giving them free. I spend lots in cash at the store

so I don't think a fight would be worth it for them everyone is usually really nice at the store regardless of my

cheap tactic. Smiley LOL And yes I needed bags as I'm on foot most of the time also saves tons of money not owning a car. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 20
NRB525
Super Contributor

How many extra cards are you trying to keep active?

I know it can seem like a life-or-death sport to get each $0.10 purchase to go on exactly the right 3%, 2%, or 1.5% category card, but loosening up to buy a vending machine item, or a $5 fast food meal with one of the SD cards isn’t going to cause a reward strategy to collapse. 

It also saves you from trying to invent transactions to keep the cards active Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would setup a table outside the grocery store and sell the free bags for 10 cents each.
Message 6 of 20
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I would setup a table outside the grocery store and sell the free bags for 10 cents each.

Now THAT'S a great idea!

Message 7 of 20
601flyguy
Established Contributor

Its definitely to avoid the swipe fees. Swipe fees are like 25 cents + X%. So they would pay at least .25 to even process the transaction.
2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

people were doing it too I bet way before I even thought of it. Also it's not my

fault policy dictates they must accept transactions small and large with a major credit card. Some on

here claim a pack of gum is good then I thought why not swipe for something I usually buy anyways basicly

saved .14 Cents not buying the pack of gum for .25cents. Unsure of bank swipe fee's but I think the retail chain

might have a discount window on x transactions regardless management would discourage such behavior the bags

probably cost more for them because of the swipe fee's hence giving them free. I spend lots in cash at the store

so I don't think a fight would be worth it for them everyone is usually really nice at the store regardless of my

cheap tactic. Smiley LOL And yes I needed bags as I'm on foot most of the time also saves tons of money not owning a car. Smiley Wink

I think a fight is probably not worth it for you either?

Not owning a car does make another great way less attainable (i.e. pump 10 cents worth of gas into your car with each card, the self-service pumps probably won't as easily get wise as your supermarket cashiersSmiley Wink).

Maybe just load $1 Amazon credits? Even if you never shop on Amazon they sell hundreds of other stores' gift cards. If you have 25 SD cards, you can reload $1 using each and buy a $25 GC of whatever store you actually use every half a year. Gets even easier if you have less than 25 SD cards or actually spend at least $25 on Amazon itself per half year.

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

I think a fight is probably not worth it for you either?

Not owning a car does make another great way less attainable (i.e. pump 10 cents worth of gas into your car with each card, the self-service pumps probably won't as easily get wise as your supermarket cashiersSmiley Wink).

Maybe just load $1 Amazon credits? Even if you never shop on Amazon they sell hundreds of other stores' gift cards. If you have 25 SD cards, you can reload $1 using each and buy a $25 GC of whatever store you actually use every half a year. Gets even easier if you have less than 25 SD cards or actually spend at least $25 on Amazon itself per half year.

Very cool idea thanks!

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.