Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding AUs again

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding AUs again

I've posted here about this, read some other threads on the subject but it's still not clear, at least to me!  Can one's credit score be raised by adding them as a AU on your credit card?

On this page: http://www.credit.com/life_stages/starting_out/How-to-Get-Credit-if-Youre-20-Something.jsp down the page a bit that adding an AU will not raise their credit score.  Are they wrong?

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Adding AUs again

@Anonymous wrote:

I've posted here about this, read some other threads on the subject but it's still not clear, at least to me!  Can one's credit score be raised by adding them as a AU on your credit card?

On this page: http://www.credit.com/life_stages/starting_out/How-to-Get-Credit-if-Youre-20-Something.jsp down the page a bit that adding an AU will not raise their credit score.  Are they wrong?

Adding someone as an AU will raise their score, my fiance's score jumped 100 pts after my discover started reporting on his reports. I added him as an AU in Feb

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 21
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes it can them IF the account is older than any of theirs (older than their current AAoA is even better), IF the payment history is long and clean, IF the utilization is very low, and IF it will report to the CRA's. Not all cards will do this. You need to ask the company first. They will inherit the entire history of this account.

Message 3 of 21
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes it can them IF the account is older than any of theirs (older than their current AAoA is even better), IF the payment history is long and clean, IF the utilization is very low, and IF it will report to the CRA's. Not all cards will do this. You need to ask the company first. They will inherit the entire history of this account.

Joey inherited the entire 13 yr history of my discover, clean payment history, it had a low balance too.

FICO 9:

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

That page doesn't mention anything about if a credit card reports to a CRA or not just that it doesn't help.  Citibank actually suggested adding on a AU to raise credit score but couldn't answer if they reported same to a CRA or how it works.  A PNC issued card although they asked for the AU's SS# said that it's only for ID purposes and they don't report the AU to the CRA.  Do the CS people that answer the phones really know the answer as the person I asked had to check with someone else??

Message 5 of 21
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

That page doesn't mention anything about if a credit card reports to a CRA or not just that it doesn't help.  Citibank actually suggested adding on a AU to raise credit score but couldn't answer if they reported same to a CRA or how it works.  A PNC issued card although they asked for the AU's SS# said that it's only for ID purposes and they don't report the AU to the CRA.  Do the CS people that answer the phones really know the answer as the person I asked had to check with someone else??

That page is absolutely wrong. AU's can help but not for everyone in every case.

In my experience Citi will report AU's as well as Discover, BoA, and Cap 1.

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That page is absolutely wrong. AU's can help but not for everyone in every case.

In my experience Citi will report AU's as well as Discover, BoA, and Cap 1.

Citibank is one that doesn't ask for the AU's SS# so how would a CRA know one John Smith from another?

Message 7 of 21
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Citibank is one that doesn't ask for the AU's SS# so how would a CRA know one John Smith from another?

I'm not sure how it works but it does work.

Message 8 of 21
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

For me, it worked perfectly once my fiance's credit report started reporting our new address..   It lines up their name with the address.   The address wasn't updated on his report until i added him to my Amex, which used his ss# to report to the bureaus... They reported his new address, which is same as mine Smiley Wink

FICO 9:

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you apply for a credit report and/or a credit score you have to give your SS# so I can't see how it can work without that info.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.