Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice moving forward from here

tag
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

Re: Advice moving forward from here

True, the person likely wanted to give the worst case scenario answer so if it happened I don't come back screaming haha.

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 41 of 44
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@espnjunkie wrote:

I just paid off my current balance, so I can try to apply in a day or two. If I get denied there's no harm done, I just wait a bit then try again. They could dock me for short history and thin file, but aside from that they can see that I have six months of good history on the Green card and nearly a year on cap one. I know charge cards are 'easier' to get than revolvers, but if they approved me for the green in Feb. I can't be THAT far off getting approved for BCE/BCP right?

Actually the AMEX only branded revolvers are quite a bit harder to get than charge cards.  The co branded revolvers like Delta/Hilton revolvers seem a bit easy to get, but that is based antedotal evidence.  On the positive side, AMEX really seems to value your history with them so positive history really helps your case.  But like I said earlier, no real harm aside from emotional with a rejection.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 42 of 44
Open123
Super Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

ESPN,

Trust me.  If you are logged in to AMEX and app for revolver, you will only get new hard pull if approved.  No need to wait 6 months for AMEX app.  Just app now.  If you get rejected, just app a little later (minimum 30 days).  There will be no harm to your FICO score or credit file for apping as current customer as long as AMEX picks up on that fact (hence the fact you want to be logged in and apping as current card holder).  As for AMEX advertising it, I doubt they ever will as it is a very technical point which would mean nothing to 99% of consumers.

This is my understanding too.  It is a soft pull if rejected, and a hard if approved ONLY if you're logged onto your account.  If you're not logged on, then it becomes a hard pull regardless.

There are pros and cons.  Usually, when you're logged on as an existing cardmember, you'll be excluded from some of the promos and sign up bonuses.  Apping as a new cardmember without first logging in will ensure you are entitled to the promo bonus, but will result in a hard pull if declined.

Message 43 of 44
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

I applied online while I was logged in and was approved. I was able to get the promo offer of 150.00 statement credit after spending 1,000.00 in the first three months. The only downside I see is that I could have had the card expedited to me if I were to apply over the phone. I found this out after speaking to a csr. Always call and speak to a service rep about promo offers you see, and they will make requests to have those included for you.

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 44 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.