Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on my next CC? newbie here

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice on my next CC? newbie here

Hey yall, I've been working on my credit the past few years and have been able to raise it to a semi-decent mark but want to keep climbing.  I need some advice for which CC to apply for that will give me a decent high limit.  My buddy is a big Chase fan and he has been recommending the Saphire Reserve.  Experian has my Fico8 at 724.  I have one CC now, it's a Discover IT with a $200 limit.  I got this about 10 months ago to help with credit.  I own my house and am just wrapping up a refinance with lower interest rate.  I have student loans which I pay monthly installments on.  I lease my vehicle, never been late with payment (lease ends in september, looking to finance new vehicle then).  CC utilization is always under 10%. Annual income is $100k.  I'm open to all recommendations and advice.  Thanks!!

13 REPLIES 13
Hoben02
Frequent Contributor

Re: Advice on my next CC? newbie here

If you are near a chase bank branch just visit and see if you are preapproved. 

Chase (CSP,CF,CFU,southwest premier)
Barclay(jetblue, arrival)
Bofa(US pride, premium, travel, cash, Suzy komen)
Citi(Premier, Double cash, Costco)
Fnbo(Mlife)
Amex(everyday, cash, Hilton)
Blockfi
Caesars rewards
Sofi
Gemini
Cap One Savor One
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Hoben02 wrote:

Thanks!  I will do that.  Not sure if it helps,  but my auto lease is through Chase? 

Message 3 of 14
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Hoben02 wrote:

Thanks!  I will do that.  Not sure if it helps,  but my auto lease is through Chase? 

Won't make any difference. 

Please temper your expectations. Most people will be turned down instantly applying for a card with a minimum SL of 10k from Chase when all they have is 1 card with a $200 limit that is less than a year old. 

Walk before you try running. 

Message 4 of 14
Aim_High
Super Contributor

To give you the best suggestions, @Anonymous, I think a better summary of your situation for us would help.  There seems to be important details missing and there's no details in your signature.   It caught my eye that you've been working on your credit for a few years yet you just have one $200 limit Discover card with a $100K income and scores over 700.  That just doesn't seem to mesh.  After rereading some of your older posts, it appears that you graduated college in 2009 with (apparently large) student loan debt, deferred the loan repayment, missed some payments 2011-2013, but then got back on top of it.   Reading between the lines, it appears your credit score in 2017 was still in the 500's for some reason, perhaps the multiple late pays?  By 2019, you were into the 600's and had a Capital One Quicksilver card with a $2300 credit limit.  You were able to buy a house and get that Chase car lease.   You were also trying to get a collection from National Enterprise Collections removed from your TU report that year.  (Did you get it removed?) 

Fast forward 2.5 years to 2022 and you say your only credit card is a Discover with a $200 limit.  (Where is the Quicksilver? Who closed it, when, and why?)   Are the Quicksilver and the Discover the only two cards you've ever had? 

Are any of these late payments or collections still showing on your credit report?  I ask because a FICO score only gives one piece of information.  If you have baddies on your report, they may inhibit approvals.  Also, some lenders are more lenient about those kinds of things. 

Why do you think you got such a low Discover card approval, especially if you had a $2300 Quicksilver at time of application?  Was the QS carrying high utilization or were some of the derogatories still reporting?   Is the Discover card secured?  Have you tried to grow it?

Your $100K income sounds solid, but let me reframe that.  A lender underwrites a card based on numerous factors and FICO is only one of them.  Income is another.  But they will also look at your debts and ability to repay.  How large are your student loan debts?   Is your mortgage in line with your current income?   What percentage of your mortgage do you still owe? 

Your FICO score may be 724 now, but if you're just wrapping up a refinance, it may drop.

I agree with @dragontears but will take it a step farther.  Because the Chase Sapphire Reserve has  minimum SL of $10K, not only should you temper your expectations but I will say there's almost zero chance at this time.   Regardless of whether those baddies have disappeared, your thin file with no other existing credit limits in that range would make it highly unlikely.  It's a great card, but I don't think your credit report is ready for it yet.  I wouldn't even apply for the Chase Sapphire Preferred ($5K minimum limit) and expect good odds.

Although the above info would be useful, I'll give some general advice.  Based on what I know, I would suggest staying away from travel cards (like CSP/CSR) right now anyway.  I would look for a solid no-AF flat-rate cash back card that pays at least 1.5% to 2% on everything you buy.  Or a second no-AF 5% cash back category card.    Applying with a lender where you have active deposit accounts might be a good foot-in-the-door.   If you qualify through your own military service or that of a family member, Navy Federal CU is a good lender to consider. (cashRewards; More Rewards.)   If you apply for a card from one of the big national banks, I would suggest cards like Citi (Double Cash; Custom Cash), Chase (Freedom Unlimited; Freedom Flex),  Bank of America (Customized Cash Rewards; Unlimited Cash Rewards), American Express (Cash Magnet), US Bank (Cash+) or Wells Fargo (Active Cash).   And yes, I would temper expectations for a lower SL more in-line with your past credit experience.  If you get a second card and use it regularly, you can probably grow it over time, continue to improve your scores, and then slowly add additional cards to thicken your file with higher limits.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aim_High wrote:

To give you the best suggestions, @Anonymous, I think a better summary of your situation for us would help.  There seems to be important details missing and there's no details in your signature.   It caught my eye that you've been working on your credit for a few years yet you just have one $200 limit Discover card with a $100K income and scores over 700.  That just doesn't seem to mesh.  After rereading some of your older posts, it appears that you graduated college in 2009 with (apparently large) student loan debt, deferred the loan repayment, missed some payments 2011-2013, but then got back on top of it.   Reading between the lines, it appears your credit score in 2017 was still in the 500's for some reason, perhaps the multiple late pays?  By 2019, you were into the 600's and had a Capital One Quicksilver card with a $2300 credit limit.  You were able to buy a house and get that Chase car lease.   You were also trying to get a collection from National Enterprise Collections removed from your TU report that year.  (Did you get it removed?) 

Thanks for summarizing there.  All of the above is correct.  Bought my house in 2019, also got the Chase car lease in 2019.  Paid off and closed the Capital One Quicksilver card with the $2300 limit.  The National Enterprise Collections has been removed.  I recently switched careers a little over a year ago, hence the change in income to the $100k currently.  Finishing the home refinance currently.

Fast forward 2.5 years to 2022 and you say your only credit card is a Discover with a $200 limit.  (Where is the Quicksilver? Who closed it, when, and why?)   Are the Quicksilver and the Discover the only two cards you've ever had? 

Only current CC is the Discover with the $200.  Closed and reached settlement with Cap One during the pandemic due to unstable income at the time.  Goal at that time became to build credit to refinance, hence the acquisition of the Discover IT Chrome, as referred to me to help boost credit pretty quickly.  Fast forward to today and current situation is as outlined in my original post.  

Are any of these late payments or collections still showing on your credit report?  I ask because a FICO score only gives one piece of information.  If you have baddies on your report, they may inhibit approvals.  Also, some lenders are more lenient about those kinds of things. 

No collections, no derogatory remarks.  Credit age 7 years. Experian is showing 1 late payment.  All other accounts are displayed as Exceptional Payment History. 

Why do you think you got such a low Discover card approval, especially if you had a $2300 Quicksilver at time of application?  Was the QS carrying high utilization or were some of the derogatories still reporting?   Is the Discover card secured?  Have you tried to grow it?

The Discover IT Chrome required a $200 deposit, which is what my limit is.  Again, was referred to this card to help boost credit "quick."  Cap One QuickSilver did have high util and interest was piling.  At the time, income from job was in flux due to pandemic, so I opted to reach settlement and close that account.

Your $100K income sounds solid, but let me reframe that.  A lender underwrites a card based on numerous factors and FICO is only one of them.  Income is another.  But they will also look at your debts and ability to repay.  How large are your student loan debts?   Is your mortgage in line with your current income?   What percentage of your mortgage do you still owe? 

Student loan debt is currently at $48k.  Just purchased home in 2019, so still owe large majority of mortgage. 

Your FICO score may be 724 now, but if you're just wrapping up a refinance, it may drop.

I agree with @dragontears but will take it a step farther.  Because the Chase Sapphire Reserve has  minimum SL of $10K, not only should you temper your expectations but I will say there's almost zero chance at this time.   Regardless of whether those baddies have disappeared, your thin file with no other existing credit limits in that range would make it highly unlikely.  It's a great card, but I don't think your credit report is ready for it yet.  I wouldn't even apply for the Chase Sapphire Preferred ($5K minimum limit) and expect good odds.

Although the above info would be useful, I'll give some general advice.  Based on what I know, I would suggest staying away from travel cards (like CSP/CSR) right now anyway.  I would look for a solid no-AF flat-rate cash back card that pays at least 1.5% to 2% on everything you buy.  Or a second no-AF 5% cash back category card.    Applying with a lender where you have active deposit accounts might be a good foot-in-the-door.   If you qualify through your own military service or that of a family member, Navy Federal CU is a good lender to consider. (cashRewards; More Rewards.)   If you apply for a card from one of the big national banks, I would suggest cards like Citi (Double Cash; Custom Cash), Chase (Freedom Unlimited; Freedom Flex),  Bank of America (Customized Cash Rewards; Unlimited Cash Rewards), American Express (Cash Magnet), US Bank (Cash+) or Wells Fargo (Active Cash).   And yes, I would temper expectations for a lower SL more in-line with your past credit experience.  If you get a second card and use it regularly, you can probably grow it over time, continue to improve your scores, and then slowly add additional cards to thicken your file with higher limits.

Thanks.  I am trying to learn as much as possible.  I don't necessarily "need" a high SL, but I would like around or close to $5k if possible.  If not, that's okay, I have to start with something and grow from there.  I don't plan on applying today.  I want this refinance to wrap up and was thinking about applying in 3-4 months. I will take a look at the cards you mentioned. 

I appreciate you taking the time to thoroughly address my post and help!  Thank you

Message 6 of 14
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Thanks @Anonymous.  Those other details help to paint a better picture and will help others when they respond to your posting. 

What is your current monthly debt-to-income ratio right now?  (All debt payments including mortgage, auto loan/lease, student loans, credit card debt divided by gross monthly income.)  Lenders will look at that when determining how much credit they feel comfortable extending, along with other information.  I'm thinking a $5K SL might be a little higher than you would get, but if that DTI ratio is very low, it could happen.  My guess is $2K to $5K range is probably more realistic for your next card.  

It sounds like that Discover is a secured card.  I would talk to them about graduating to an unsecured version, if they will do that, and then try to grow the limit. 

If you have the Discover and another new card already in the $2K to $5K range, getting a new SL of something a little higher is more likely.  Baby steps and you'll get there!  Smiley Wink

Business Cards

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aim_High wrote:

Thanks @Anonymous.  Those other details help to paint a better picture and will help others when they respond to your posting. 

What is your current monthly debt-to-income ratio right now?  (All debt payments including mortgage, auto loan/lease, student loans, credit card debt divided by gross monthly income.)  Lenders will look at that when determining how much credit they feel comfortable extending, along with other information.  I'm thinking a $5K SL might be a little higher than you would get, but if that DTI ratio is very low, it could happen.  My guess is $2K to $5K range is probably more realistic for your next card.  

Not sure exactly how to compute DTI regards to the mortgage with my wife and I on the mortgage and we "split" the mortgage 50/50.  Do I compute my DTI with 100% of my mortgage payment or 50% of mortgage payment?  Both DTI's are as follows and just based solely on my monthly gross income-

100% of Mortgage Payment: DTI is 39%

50% of Mortgage Payment: DTI is 23%

It sounds like that Discover is a secured card.  I would talk to them about graduating to an unsecured version, if they will do that, and then try to grow the limit. 

Yes, it is a secured card.  Forgot that term.  Is graduating to an unsecured version common and does that require a hard credit check?

If you have the Discover and another new card already in the $2K to $5K range, getting a new SL of something a little higher is more likely.  Baby steps and you'll get there!  Smiley Wink

All makes sense!  Trying here.  Appreciate all your help. 

Message 8 of 14
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

What is your current monthly debt-to-income ratio right now?  (All debt payments including mortgage, auto loan/lease, student loans, credit card debt divided by gross monthly income.) 

Not sure exactly how to compute DTI regards to the mortgage with my wife and I on the mortgage and we "split" the mortgage 50/50.  Do I compute my DTI with 100% of my mortgage payment or 50% of mortgage payment?  Both DTI's are as follows and just based solely on my monthly gross income-

100% of Mortgage Payment: DTI is 39%

50% of Mortgage Payment: DTI is 23%

Yes, it is a secured card.  Forgot that term.  Is graduating to an unsecured version common and does that require a hard credit check?

You're welcome!  Glad to help.

If the mortgage is on your credit report, it counts 100% even if repayment is shared with your wife.  However, if you are both earning income and are allowed to report "Household Income" on your applications or salary updates with lenders, that softens the blow by giving a more accurate picture.   Your 39% seems very reasonable including mortgage and all other debt.  What would it be if you include household income and then all debt showing on your credit report? 

Many lenders allow secured cards to "graduate" over time with satisfactory repayment, and I'm pretty sure Discover does that.  I would call them to discuss.  I think it needs to be at least one year old??   I've never had a secured card so maybe some who know more about it can chime in about this.   Same for the HP on the credit report;  I'm not sure.  That one is probably dependent on lender's policies. 

Business Cards

Message 9 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey yall, I've been working on my credit the past few years and have been able to raise it to a semi-decent mark but want to keep climbing.  I need some advice for which CC to apply for that will give me a decent high limit.  My buddy is a big Chase fan and he has been recommending the Saphire Reserve.  Experian has my Fico8 at 724.  I have one CC now, it's a Discover IT with a $200 limit.  I got this about 10 months ago to help with credit.  I own my house and am just wrapping up a refinance with lower interest rate.  I have student loans which I pay monthly installments on.  I lease my vehicle, never been late with payment (lease ends in september, looking to finance new vehicle then).  CC utilization is always under 10%. Annual income is $100k.  I'm open to all recommendations and advice.  Thanks!!

The Chase Sapphire cards are top of the line cards which look for prior experience with 5k and 10k credit card limits, so it's way premature for you to go that route.  I would suggest the Amex Blue Cash Everyday as a next card.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.