Did you mean: 

Alliant 3% Cash Back

tag
vV35Hszm
Contributor

Alliant 3% Cash Back

Any experience with this card?

http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/bank/visa-signature-card

It says it's for people who charge $50K per year so I'm guessing it's hard to get!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Billharrell
Regular Contributor

Re: Alliant 3% Cash Back

From what I've read around here, all of Alliant's cards are tough to get. Supposedly they're very inquiry and aaoa sensitive. Some people have reported 720+ denials.

I think that they advertise the 3% Card for the $50,000 set because it would take a lot if spend to justify the annual fee over some of the no-fee 2% cards.

I got an Alliant checking account in late 2017, but I'm waiting until some inquiries drop off and my scores top 750 before I apply for any of their credit products. Good luck!

2/18 FICO 8's:
EX(692): 3.1yrs, 8 inq.
TU(654): 0.3yrs, 3 inq.
EQ(683): 3.1yrs, 3 inq.
Utilization: 50%

Wall of Shame (recent denials/wish list):

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm with the other poster; I don't think the $50k means anything.  I have the card and don't do nearly that volume, LOL.  

I don't know about inquiries; I had a zillion inquiries and had no problems getting an Alliant CC, $10k starting limit (I've never asked for a CLI because $10k is enough for me).  FWIW, I had already been a checking/savings customer with Alliant for a couple of years when I applied for the CC.  And I didn't actually apply for the 3% card, I applied for a 1% card (with a healthy SUB), used it for the required spending and then stuck it in the sock drawer.  After about a year the 3% card became available and they let me PC to it.  Made good use of that 3% the first year and I renewed for the second year at 2.5% because I deemed I was likely to overcome the $59 with the extra .5%.  If not, I'll cancel (or downgrade) before the third year.

My scores were in the low 800's.

As for the card itself, no complaints here.  No problems with transactions, blocking, or rewards posting.  I cash out rewards almost every month direct to my savings account.  Website can be a bit clunky but it's functional.

Chris.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have not yet received a card, so I can only attest to the application process.

I called in rather than applying online.  The rep took my basic info and didn't even ask any questions to qualify me for credit union membership.  They probably get scored or bonused for opeing accounts, so he knew which box to check.  I had a brand new savings account within 10 minutes.  They even start you off with $5 in your account.

I inquired about the Signature Visa, which was my real reason for calling.  I was transferred to the loan/credit card dept.  A second rep verified that they pull Transunion and use the Score 9 model.  He took some more info as far as income, residence ownership etc.  No income verification was requested.  I told him I needed a 25-30k CL.  He said let's apply for the $30k and see what happens.  I was put on hold while the application and credit report went through underwriting.  A few minutes later, I was approved for the $30k limit.

FYI - Experian FICO Score 8 has ranged between 842 and 850 over last 6 months.

Message 4 of 9
arkane
Established Contributor

Only worth it in the first year AND if you can swipe more than $5000. They also offer a 2% card that comes with a $50 SUB for $500 spend in first 90 days, so you'd have to push through $5000 total in a year to make that extra 1% worthwhile. (probably not too difficult for many here, but still something to consider)

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

How many inquiries do they consider as too many?

Message 6 of 9
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

@Billharrell wrote:
From what I've read around here, all of Alliant's cards are tough to get. Supposedly they're very inquiry and aaoa sensitive. Some people have reported 720+ denials.

I think that they advertise the 3% Card for the $50,000 set because it would take a lot if spend to justify the annual fee over some of the no-fee 2% cards.

I got an Alliant checking account in late 2017, but I'm waiting until some inquiries drop off and my scores top 750 before I apply for any of their credit products. Good luck!

You would have to spend $11,800 to b/e on over a no AF 2% card.

Message 7 of 9
bigpoppa09
Established Contributor

They are like Barclay's they don't like new accounts i applied in Oct 2017 denied only reason new accounts.

Message 8 of 9
lexrjSD
Regular Contributor

@vV35Hszm wrote:

Any experience with this card?

http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/bank/visa-signature-card

It says it's for people who charge $50K per year so I'm guessing it's hard to get!

I was lured by this $50k claim so I've applied online and got approved over the phone (security check) for only $20K. I think I had one or two inquiries in the past year and all my scores were hovering on the high 700s. I needed a higher limit and they would not budge anything above $20k so I ended up declining the card. Had a good experience overall applying and interacting with them.
WALLET: Amex BCP 25K | Barclay Arrival Plus 27K | Chase Reserve 20K |
Amex SimplyCash 50K

FICO: EX 812 | EQ 815 | TU 815
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.