Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alliant or PSECU?

tag
Amnesia87
Contributor

Alliant or PSECU?

I'm planning on joining one of these CU next month (waiting till my discover hits 6 months so I can go for a cli, also gonna go for cli with my USAA.)

I'm torn since I really want a CU Card with a higher limit. Right now my highest are a Citi Forward with 3300 and an Amex Blue Cash Preferred with 2000.

I'd really like to join PSECU for personal line/cc combo and the EX scores. But I don't really want to take 2 hard pulls to do it. Plus I've heard it's a great big hassle to join.

I've also heard good things about Alliant, and I like that I can app several things with one pull.

I'm guessing PSECU is the more generous lender, but is it worth the hassle.

Oh and my EQ Fico is up to 735 now. Need to update my cig. It should be over 740 by game time.

Starting Score: EX FICO: Unknown EQ FICO: 717 TU (CreditKarma): 713
Current Score: EX FICO: 737 EQ FICO: 752 TU (CreditKarma): 717
Goal Score: EX FICO: 760 EQ FICO: 760 TU (CreditKarma): 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Chaos122
Regular Contributor

Re: Alliant or PSECU?

I cant speak on allliant because i have no experience with them,, However psecu is fantastic, youll get you ex fico score each month, plus they are very generous lenders. 

Also its not really a hassle to join, its just a little slow (couple of weeks average), however once your a member everything is really fast..   Its definetley worth it if your willing to take 2 inquiry hits

Starting Score: TU 608, Eq 618
Current Score: TU 797 Eq 792, Ex 805 (psecu)
Goal Score: 840 across the board

Message 2 of 20
CS800
Super Contributor

Does PSECU hit you with a hard inq when you initially apply? What about every month when they give you your EX FICO?

Message 3 of 20
fot1
Established Contributor

I just joined PSECU and had no hassle at all. Mailed in my application with copies of the park and rec membership, DL and pay stub  got all my packet, card and checks within 2-3 weeks. I think they just got flooded when this and atleast one other board flooded them with new apps.

Too many to list..
Message 4 of 20
score_building
Senior Contributor

Both are excellent IME, Alliant for deposit rates, ACH hub etc. and

PSECU for the combo, EX... it's generally no more of a hassle than any other CU to join these days, experiences vary. 

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 20
Amnesia87
Contributor

I just am not sure if I want to get hit for 2 more hards on my EX. Already have like 4.

EQ has 3 and TU 2.

I know USAA pulls EQ, not so sure on Discover (heck maybe with some luck it will be a soft.)

Message 6 of 20
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Why not join both?

Alliant - Great deposit rate, CURewards for its credit card. (Pulls EQ and Chexsystem)

PSECU - EX FICO score, generous credit (its credit card does not have rewards however).

Did you know that Digital Credit Union offers free EQ FICO for every month?

Message 7 of 20
CS800
Super Contributor

Trumpet:

I'm with DCU and yes they do offer free EQ FICO that I get at the end of each month. I am contemplating PSECU for the EX FICO. But as many said it's a hard pull initially then soft afterwards.

I only know my EX plusscore is 644, so it would be godo for me to know my EX FICO. Stll debating

Message 8 of 20
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Why not join both?

Alliant - Great deposit rate, CURewards for its credit card. (Pulls EQ and Chexsystem)

PSECU - EX FICO score, generous credit (its credit card does not have rewards however).

Did you know that Digital Credit Union offers free EQ FICO for every month?

+1.  Join them both.  You will NOT regret the extra hard inq(s) in the long run.  Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 20
Amnesia87
Contributor

I plan to join both eventually, however, I am going to be buying a car right around the end of the year (nov-jan) and I don't want to have too many inquiries that could cause issues with me getting approved.

3 more inq is alot more than I really want.

Especially the 2 on EX. I know 6 isn't that many, but it's just MEH >_<.

I believe Alliant pulls EQ, (if i've read correctly they also soft EX, but who cares about that)

There will also be another inq on EQ from USAA.

As for Discover, if it's a hard, it looks like it will be a bit of a toss up, though probably TU (HOPE!!!) or EQ.

Honestly, I don't really care about the inqs, since once I get the Auto Loan won't be apping anything else for quite a while, and all but 1 of the inqs I have now will have fallen off by Dec next year anyway.

I also happen to have a USAA Auto Loan preapproval showing for now, it's popped in and out, but I have no idea what would happen if I hit accept. Rate is 4.69 which isn't terrible as far as I'm concerned.

Having Alliant and PSECU available for auto loans would be nice as well. How badly do you think the extra inq would hurt my chances? Or would it more just lower the rate?

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.