Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Altitude Reserve is frequently declining on Apple Pay - Resolved

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Altitude Reserve is frequently declining on Apple Pay - Resolved

Lately as I have been using Altitude Reserve, I have gotten three or four declines at different stores.  They do Apple Pay, but seem not to get through. Have to use another card, often as tap to pay, so it's not the contactless NFC issues. 

Anyone else notice/ experience this recently?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Altitude Reserve is frequently declining on Apple Pay

@NRB525 wrote:

Lately as I have been using Altitude Reserve, I have gotten three or four declines at different stores.  They do Apple Pay, but seem not to get through. Have to use another card, often as tap to pay, so it's not the contactless NFC issues. 

First time seeing this. Not a glowing endorsement for ApplePay. Did you contact US Bank? Sounds like communication issues on one, or both ends? Have you deleted and reenrolled?

Message 2 of 20
Trikoret
Contributor

Are you a new customer? I've been 2 months so far and I was getting declines. I would get a Security text message to call them. They told me it's cause I'm a new customer and it's going to take 60 days for the system to get used to my usage. 

Message 3 of 20
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I have not used mine recently since I've been working on Business Platinum SUB, but no issues ever with Apple Pay and AR. For the first year I was using it constantly.  Have you been using any other cards with Apple Pay lately?  (Edit: Reading comprehension.  Oops!  Yes you have.). Sometimes there can be a hardware issue if it's failing to go through.   But if the charges are being denied, there's likely something up with the setup or for some reason they are charges that USB would be declining even if card present.

Message 4 of 20
NRB525
Super Contributor

Nike Store today, $45, PetCo last week for $26. These aren't outlandish charges, so should just be going through.

When I go to back up card, it's usually a physical card, not another ApplePay card. 

Been a customer with this card for two years or so. Guess I will lean into it, try it more consistently and then try other cards on Apple Pay. 

These are at POS terminals in stores. I've also been using Apple Pay for online / appcharges that can go through Apple Pay, and often switch the card that gets selected. Even in those cases though I have used Altitude. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Nike Store today, $45, PetCo last week for $26. These aren't outlandish charges, so should just be going through.

When I go to back up card, it's usually a physical card, not another ApplePay card. 

Been a customer with this card for two years or so. Guess I will lean into it, try it more consistently and then try other cards on Apple Pay. 

These are at POS terminals in stores. I've also been using Apple Pay for online / appcharges that can go through Apple Pay, and often switch the card that gets selected. Even in those cases though I have used Altitude. 

Yes, certainly trying Apple Pay with a different card will help isolate the issue.   I've had no issues with AR using Samsung Pay, except at one particular store it always asks for a PIN (like a debit card transaction) but pressing Enter makes the transaction continue anyway.

Message 6 of 20
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I dont have iPhone, but the only "declines" I got happened in the couple of stores, it errors several times before transaction goes through.

This is not specific to AR though, it happens regardless of which card I use.

One store is Walmart, and the other one is some craft store. 

Message 7 of 20
VPExecutive
Frequent Contributor

@blindambition wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

First time seeing this. Not a glowing endorsement for ApplePay. Did you contact US Bank? Sounds like communication issues on one, or both ends? Have you deleted and reenrolled?

Apple Pay has reached its peak popularity in the U.S. The hype was good when it came out in 2014, but it's barely gained traction six years later. I haven't seen someone use it since 2015. I can see why, though, there's technical issues and many merchants here don't feel like cooperating with contactless technology. 

You would think 5-6 years after the EMV rollout and contactless implementation, I could walk into ANY merchant and see a customer facing terminal that takes both technologies, but that isn't the case. 

Message 8 of 20
imaximous
Valued Contributor

I haven't had any issues with either Apple Pay or Samsung Pay. I've had my card loaded on both for over 2 yrs. In fact, from all cards I have, AR is the only one that's never declined a charge or required verification even for very large purchases.
Also, except for travel, all my charges are via mobile wallet. Everything goes through and I've charged close to $8k above my limit. Not sure how much more I could've put on it. 

Message 9 of 20
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

I dont have iPhone, but the only "declines" I got happened in the couple of stores, it errors several times before transaction goes through.

This is not specific to AR though, it happens regardless of which card I use.

One store is Walmart, and the other one is some craft store. 

Yup. In my case, I've had to try a couple of times with Samsung Pay at Walmart and Home Depot stores. Neither accepts mobile wallet payments, so it has to do with MST and the terminal not liking each other at times. 

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.