Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx Remaining Statement Balance vs Total Balance vs Minimal Balance

tag
eastsea
Regular Contributor

AmEx Remaining Statement Balance vs Total Balance vs Minimal Balance

My Amex BCE's last statement was posted a week ago with a balance of $115.  After the statement post about 3 days ago I redeemed cashback of $100.  Now the card has the these numbers:

"Remaining Statement Balace" is still $115

"Total Balance" has been reduced to $15

"Minimal Balance" is still $35

So I am a little confused, which number should I pay if I do not want to pay any interest and of course I also do not want to considered late.  

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: AmEx Remaining Statement Balance vs Total Balance vs Minimal Balance

@eastsea wrote:

My Amex BCE's last statement was posted a week ago with a balance of $115.  After the statement post about 3 days ago I redeemed cashback of $100.  Now the card has the these numbers:

"Remaining Statement Balace" is still $115

"Total Balance" has been reduced to $15

"Minimal Balance" is still $35

So I am a little confused, which number should I pay if I do not want to pay any interest and of course I also do not want to considered late.  

You still have to pay the minimum payment, even though your balance is less than minimum payment. 

With Amex, statement credit you received doesn't "count" towards minimum payment. 

This has caused some grief to others previously. 

Amex math is Amex math, no way around it. 

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay the Total Balance; preferably a few days before your payment is actually due so you can see how the totals adjust.

Message 3 of 21
Remedios
Credit Mentor

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/AMEX-Minimum-Payment-with-Cashback/td-p/5486366

Do not pay $15.00. 

This has been chewed and spit out before 

Message 4 of 21
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Message 5 of 21
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Definitively per your cardholder agreement, cash back does not meet the minimum payment requirements.  It is a credit appearing on your next statement, not a payment.

Message 6 of 21
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I said that like 5 posts ago 🤷‍♀️

Message 7 of 21
eastsea
Regular Contributor

The Minimal Payment of $35 is less than the "Remaining Statement Balance", so if I only pay $35, will there be interest next time?  

Message 8 of 21
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Remedios wrote:

I said that like 5 posts ago 🤷‍♀️

You did.  I just wanted wanted to say it again.  😂

Message 9 of 21
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

So in my personal Amex experience, credits (which I guess would be the same as cashback redemptions) actually adjusted my remaining payment as well as my total balance only up until a month or two ago. My $10 Gold credits, Amex offers, etc would reduce my payment required. This stopped happening around February so I assumed that they changed something internally. Interesting that DPs exist for this all the way back to early 2019 and is apparently a well-known Amex policy. Oh well Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.