cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx charge card effect on credit report?

tag
kmkotas

AmEx charge card effect on credit report?

How are the No Pre-Set Limit charge cards from AmEx factored into your utilization and overall available credit? Since it has no pre-set limit but has an "internal" one that we don't really know about, what do they report to the credit bureaus? Anyone with an AmEx charge card can you please explain how it shows up on your credit report? Obviously it is paid in full each month so util would be 0% but I want to use it as my primary go-to card for charging just about everything so I can get the points. I don't want this to look bad on my credit report, though since I don't know how it is factored in. Is it more positive or negative? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

1st Financial Bank USA Mastercard (2007) $1,900.00
Chase Sapphire Preferred (2008) $16,000
American Express Gold (April 2013) NPSL
Discover It (April 2013) $5,000
**Experian 765, Equifax 782, TU 787**
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

Re: AmEx charge card effect on credit report?

Your highest balance reported will be your CL.

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 2 of 6
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@kmkotas wrote:

How are the No Pre-Set Limit charge cards from AmEx factored into your utilization and overall available credit? Since it has no pre-set limit but has an "internal" one that we don't really know about, what do they report to the credit bureaus? Anyone with an AmEx charge card can you please explain how it shows up on your credit report? Obviously it is paid in full each month so util would be 0% but I want to use it as my primary go-to card for charging just about everything so I can get the points. I don't want this to look bad on my credit report, though since I don't know how it is factored in. Is it more positive or negative? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

AMEX Charge Cards balance aren't considered to be part of your UTL and is thus ignored because its considered to be a 30 day loan. They report your highest balance but probably only useful for manual reviews if the analyst notices its a large number and thinks my company could of made the swipe fee's on it.

The important part of the card is having AMEX as a tradeline, that may make them jellous, and long term backdating rocks, and you get an interest free loan for 30 days with no negative impact on your credit, and if you get interest on your checking account it can earn you some pocket change for using it to float purchases.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 3 of 6
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@kmkotas wrote:

IMO, just having Amex for the backdating is more than worth it. It helped my AAoA immensely.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 4 of 6
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

I've had an Amex charge for a year and it hasn't ever affected my EQ FICO score whether the reported balance was zero or 50k or anything in between.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 5 of 6
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@kmkotas wrote:

It is not affected on your overall util on FICO scores except TU98 (score you get here). I would not worry as that score is more educational than anything.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.