Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx "Future transactions may be declined"

tag
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: AmEx "Future transactions may be declined"

@Chazzay12 wrote:

I think from what I've read over time they stop sending those once they know you're spending. My guess is you've never hit that Utl threshold due to having a good limit, therefore haven't seen the message. 

Yes that's what it looks like to me.  I'm still somewhat shocked they gave me the limit that they did.  I had the exact same card from 2015-2017 with a $1k limit... and paid it off and closed it prior to filing BK 13 because I didn't want to burn the AmEx bridge.

5+ years after filing they approved me for the same card with 10x the limit.

No idea why but I'm doing everything to stay in their good graces.

Thanks for chiming in everyone.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 11 of 25
MT64
New Contributor

Maybe it's just their algorithim reflecting on the recent increase in spending (trending) and nothing more?

I would believe that over some scare tactic or other negative business motive, otherwise what is the point of offering x amount of credit as a business to begin with? They are in it for the money. The more you spend, the more they make, regardless.

I love this forum for the endless amount of priceless info but can't help but always see two sides to an extreme: it's either you have a million dollars in credit that you never touch or what little you do use is is bad so always PIF before it hits statemet or you almost max your cards out because you have things you actually need to buy/get and then that's also bad. I would gather they'd likely decrease you for lack of use, not too much.

As long as you're paying and possibly even a little more than the minimum each month, I can't see concern. Ultimately, I do think this is just a computer thing on their end and just a cautionary warning based on the amount spent vs. available, nothing more.

Message 12 of 25
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

They're simply sending a reminder that you've used a significant amount of your limit. The message you need to watch out for is future transactions may be declined. If by your limit, pretty self-explanatory. If your still a bit off then you've popped up on their radar. 

Message 13 of 25
TheRedHat
Established Contributor

Got the same message for my Platinum. I think my internal limit is around $6,000. I am around $5,000 on it right now. Not making any more charges until I pay it off.

Last update: 5/10/2024

Goal Cards
Message 14 of 25
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@MT64 wrote:

As long as you're paying and possibly even a little more than the minimum each month, I can't see concern. Ultimately, I do think this is just a computer thing on their end and just a cautionary warning based on the amount spent vs. available, nothing more.

Yeah that's why it was odd because I've had the card for 7 months and I've PIF every month.

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

They're simply sending a reminder that you've used a significant amount of your limit. The message you need to watch out for is future transactions may be declined. If by your limit, pretty self-explanatory. If your still a bit off then you've popped up on their radar. 

That's the message I got... Future transactions may be declined.  I got it after a $100 transaction that put me at 60% of my limit.  I PIF a few days later.  I dunno...  previous high balance was 34% of my limit so I guess they got spooked.

@TheRedHat wrote:

Got the same message for my Platinum. I think my internal limit is around $6,000. I am around $5,000 on it right now. Not making any more charges until I pay it off.

Yeah... I PIF a few days later like I have every month and haven't heard anything else.  The new statement just cut at the normal 20% of my limit.

NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Message 15 of 25
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@MT64 wrote:

Maybe it's just their algorithim reflecting on the recent increase in spending (trending) and nothing more?

I would believe that over some scare tactic or other negative business motive, otherwise what is the point of offering x amount of credit as a business to begin with? They are in it for the money. The more you spend, the more they make, regardless.

I love this forum for the endless amount of priceless info but can't help but always see two sides to an extreme: it's either you have a million dollars in credit that you never touch or what little you do use is is bad so always PIF before it hits statemet or you almost max your cards out because you have things you actually need to buy/get and then that's also bad. I would gather they'd likely decrease you for lack of use, not too much.

Well, paying "a little over minimum" on Amex  card is one way to make sure they decline 0.01 charge.  It's not a computer thing, it's Amex's way to ensure they get paid, especially when profile isn't *clean* and/or new customer.

Amex is very much data driven, so when one pays "a little over minimum", the only conclusion they will draw is that one can only afford to pay a little bit, therefore not allowing any additional charges is not going to happen. 

If a card is in 0% promo, Amex doesn't eat babies if they don't get payment in full, but payments should be reasonable.  

Anyway, OP isn't carrying a balance, so that's not even the issue. 

Message 16 of 25
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

Yep... as said they probably got spooked because I went way over my previous high spend for the previous 6 months (but still only 60% of my limit) but I had an excuse... I was on vacation and surely they were happy with the PIF.

Another thing is it's probably because I still have the 2017 BK 13 showing.  As much as I hear about AmEx being generous with their CLIs I haven't gotten one in 3 tries... with the "bankruptcy on credit report" as the only reason for denial.

Not a huge deal because I have a nice limit but it's obvious that I'm stuck waiting for any potential CLIs until my baddies fall off in a year.

Message 17 of 25
MT64
New Contributor

If true, that would just be absurd on AMEX part and since that's not even the issue as you said the OP is carrying a 0 balance. If they're as data driven as you say they are then I would bet that's all it is, part of their algorithim and nothing to actually be alarmed about. Honestly, it's not war against the consumer and credit doesn't just disappear because you reach a mere half of available credit to you unless there's something else driving it in a negative factor else where but spending or utilizing it sn't it.

However, if that was indeed the case (I do not believe it to be), I sure wouldn't be keeping AMEX or any card that treats you that way.

Message 18 of 25
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Yep... as said they probably got spooked because I went way over my previous high spend for the previous 6 months (but still only 60% of my limit) but I had an excuse... I was on vacation and surely they were happy with the PIF.

Another thing is it's probably because I still have the 2017 BK 13 showing.  As much as I hear about AmEx being generous with their CLIs I haven't gotten one in 3 tries... with the "bankruptcy on credit report" as the only reason for denial.

Not a huge deal because I have a nice limit but it's obvious that I'm stuck waiting for any potential CLIs until my baddies fall off in a year.

One thing I actually just remembered and nobody else has brought up: Amex will sometimes approve you with baddies showing, but CLIs will be a no-go until said baddies fall off. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 19 of 25
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

One thing I actually just remembered and nobody else has brought up: Amex will sometimes approve you with baddies showing, but CLIs will be a no-go until said baddies fall off. 

Speaking from experience this is 100% true.  Smiley LOL

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.