Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Visa

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amazon Visa

For those who don't know my story, I'm a student with a part-time income.

I got a Chase FU and my Disco graduated in February -- quite the month! My AAoA is currently 4 months.

I'm searching for card #3 to apply for in a few months (Once my AAoA is back over 6, at least). My front-runner is the Amazon Visa (I am a Prime member) since it'd suit my spending nicely.

Two questions:

1) Is it even worth applying or will I probably be declined?

2) Does it report a CL or does it have the non-reporting-except-to-EX problem as some VS cards do?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Amazon Visa

@Anonymous wrote:

For those who don't know my story, I'm a student with a part-time income.

I got a Chase FU and my Disco graduated in February -- quite the month! My AAoA is currently 4 months.

I'm searching for card #3 to apply for in a few months (Once my AAoA is back over 6, at least). My front-runner is the Amazon Visa (I am a Prime member) since it'd suit my spending nicely.

Two questions:

1) Is it even worth applying or will I probably be declined?

2) Does it report a CL or does it have the non-reporting-except-to-EX problem as some VS cards do?

Thanks!

Don't know the answer to 1) although I don't think it's a hard card to get (with perhaps a low limit).   On 2) it reports the CL.    I don't know how many cards have the problem you reference, AFAIK the vast majority report the limit to all

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

The card isn't that hard to get. Your scores are well above the minimum they're looking for. If you would already have a Prime account (which you do), it is essentially a no-annual fee Visa Signature card with great Amazon rewards. I place an order on Amazon at least 3-4 times a week, so the card really pays off for me. It really depends on how much you plan on spending on Amazon. However, again, it has no annual fee so you get the Visa Signature perks and no FTF for free. Also, it will be a metal card sometime this year, so that's exciting.

Only negative I'd say is if you're looking for build out your Ultimate Rewards cards, it might be better to use your available credit at Chase for the CSR/CSP and a Freedom. Again, really depends on what you're looking to maximize (travel or amazon spending).

Also, the account has reported to all three CBs for me every month.

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

Don't know the answer to 1) although I don't think it's a hard card to get (with perhaps a low limit).   On 2) it reports the CL.    I don't know how many cards have the problem you reference, AFAIK the vast majority report the limit to all

Here's a similar discussion for the VS issue: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Chase-Visa-Signature-credit-limit-reporting/td-p/303370... I was hoping to get the question answered for the Amazon card. Seems like it's an issue of the past for the most part, but wanted to make sure since I don't have much padding at the moment.

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The card isn't that hard to get. Your scores are well above the minimum they're looking for. If you would already have a Prime account (which you do), it is essentially a no-annual fee Visa Signature card with great Amazon rewards. I place an order on Amazon at least 3-4 times a week, so the card really pays off for me. It really depends on how much you plan on spending on Amazon. However, again, it has no annual fee so you get the Visa Signature perks and no FTF for free. Also, it will be a metal card sometime this year, so that's exciting.

Only negative I'd say is if you're looking for build out your Ultimate Rewards cards, it might be better to use your available credit at Chase for the CSR/CSP and a Freedom. Again, really depends on what you're looking to maximize (travel or amazon spending).

So it's not a $5k minimum like the CSP? Just checked Chase and it says $500 like the F/FU... and those are still issued as VS? (I just checked Ritz-Carlton and it's $10k haha)

I thought all the Prime cards were metal already? I just want the cash back I don't care if they're UR points or just a statement credit.

And it reports to all 3 showing your limit?

Thanks!

Message 5 of 22
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

OP- this particular VS can be issued with a SL as low as $500
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So it's not a $5k minimum like the CSP? Just checked Chase and it says $500 like the F/FU... and those are still issued as VS? (I just checked Ritz-Carlton and it's $10k haha)

I thought all the Prime cards were metal already? I just want the cash back I don't care if they're UR points or just a statement credit.

Thanks!

It is a $500 minimum. My card was originally issued with a $1,000 SL and it was a VS. Makes the card even more lucrative for people with thin credit profiles that would like VS perks without needing a $5,000 CL card.

As far as I know the metal prime cards have not be released yet. I still have the plastic and sent Chase a SM about a month ago inquiring about the metal card and they said I'll get one sent to be once they are released later this year. If I'm wrong and anyone already has a metal prime card, please let me know so I can send another SM. Smiley Very Happy

Just double checked my Credit Reports from 2/23/17 and all three are showing my Amazon Prime Card's limit and balance.

Message 7 of 22
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Here's a similar discussion for the VS issue: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Chase-Visa-Signature-credit-limit-reporting/td-p/3033702 I was hoping to get the question answered for the Amazon card. Seems like it's an issue of the past for the most part, but wanted to make sure since I don't have much padding at the moment.

Yes, as Revelates last post, it was all except maybe BoA, and BoA now reports limits too.    

Message 8 of 22
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

I'm not sure what the standards for the card are now, but the Amazon Visa was my first credit card when I was in school quite awhile ago. I got approved with a $350 limit that grew quickly.  I hear now they approve some with $500 limits.  So if you have a clean file, I think you probably have a good chance; especially if you've been treating your other Chase card well.

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!

It is a $500 minimum. My card was originally issued with a $1,000 SL and it was a VS. Makes the card even more lucrative for people with thin credit profiles that would like VS perks without needing a $5,000 CL card.

As far as I know the metal prime cards have not be released yet. I still have the plastic and sent Chase a SM about a month ago inquiring about the metal card and they said I'll get one sent to be once they are released later this year. If I'm wrong and anyone already has a metal prime card, please let me know so I can send another SM. Smiley Very Happy

Just double checked my Credit Reports from 2/23/17 and all three are showing my Amazon Prime Card's limit and balance.

They were released when the product was launched. Wife applied a couple days after launch and has metal.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.