Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Oasis

tag
SFernandez13461
Frequent Contributor

Re: American Express Oasis

I tried calling a few times, and the final verdict is I am not invited and that's that. Kind of interesting. You'd think they would want to recover the rest of the money. Oh well.

EX 695, EQ 703, TU 681 (1/17)
Message 11 of 26
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

They still have Amex Oasis. They offered my brother's Amex Optima Builder card earlier this year. I heard it is only for invitation.

Ron.

What is the difference between the Oasis Program and the Optima Builder Program?

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 12 of 26
Lightdog555
New Contributor

Try calling the executive line. I did and was able to get approved. My balance was just over 400 and my limit ended up being 500 on my current card. I would at least try for it. I defaulted on an account (secured optima ) back in 2000.
Message 13 of 26
beb86
Valued Contributor

@SFernandez13461 wrote:

I tried calling a few times, and the final verdict is I am not invited and that's that. Kind of interesting. You'd think they would want to recover the rest of the money. Oh well.

I just noticed that you said you just finished paying your settlement with them....thats the killer...in order to be considered for the optima card you have to pay back every penny in full.

Message 14 of 26
SFernandez13461
Frequent Contributor

I knew I would need to pay off the remaining balance which is what I offered to do. I just didn't realize having paid a settlement already would preclude me from participating in the future. Actually, I was misled about that when I agreed to the settlement in the first place.

Message 15 of 26
sjt
Senior Contributor

@SFernandez13461 wrote:
I knew I would need to pay off the remaining balance which is what I offered to do. I just didn't realize having paid a settlement already would preclude me from participating in the future. Actually, I was misled about that when I agreed to the settlement in the first place.

When you last called Amex about the Oasis they could have 1) Misunderstood what you were requesting or 2) Being extremely cautious given the recent fines they had to pay as a result of their collection practices.

I would call them again and clarify your request. If that fails then contact the executive offices.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 16 of 26
SFernandez13461
Frequent Contributor

I honestly didn't expect them to resist being paid in full, so initially I thought they misunderstood too. I explained it more than once. I'm sure they understood what I was requesting.

I'm wondering if it's related to the fines too. I had a Blue Sky, was charged the illegal late fees, and was misled about some of the terms of my settlement, although I knew what to expect thanks to these forums. Maybe they don't want to make any further attempts to collect on accounts like mine when they're already in hot water.

I've always read their customer service is pretty stellar, even among those customers who have experienced financial difficulties, so I was really surprised by their attitude. It was literally, "You are NOT invited to participate." Not exactly the response you expect when you're calling to arrange a payment.

It was pretty difficult to convince DH it might be worth the money to rebuild a relationship with them anyway. I don't know if I can persuade him it's worth trying again.

But if I do and I actually get anywhere, I'll post an update.

Thanks.

Message 17 of 26
sjt
Senior Contributor

@SFernandez13461 wrote:

I honestly didn't expect them to resist being paid in full, so initially I thought they misunderstood too. I explained it more than once. I'm sure they understood what I was requesting.

I'm wondering if it's related to the fines too. I had a Blue Sky, was charged the illegal late fees, and was misled about some of the terms of my settlement, although I knew what to expect thanks to these forums. Maybe they don't want to make any further attempts to collect on accounts like mine when they're already in hot water.

I've always read their customer service is pretty stellar, even among those customers who have experienced financial difficulties, so I was really surprised by their attitude. It was literally, "You are NOT invited to participate." Not exactly the response you expect when you're calling to arrange a payment.

It was pretty difficult to convince DH it might be worth the money to rebuild a relationship with them anyway. I don't know if I can persuade him it's worth trying again.

But if I do and I actually get anywhere, I'll post an update.

Thanks.

What department did you call? Was it the Oasis or was it a collection agency (NCO etc)

Message 18 of 26
Ron1
Super Contributor

Did they ever send you to offer you to regain membership?  Did your account sell to collection agency?  By the way, you need to pay off entire balance to get Optima Card. You cannot file BK in order to qualify for Optima Builder Card. 

Ron.

Message 19 of 26
SFernandez13461
Frequent Contributor

I understand you don't get the Optima builder card by settling for less than the full balance. I was trying to pay the remainder of the balance after settling in order to get the builder card.

I didn't get invited to the program. And I've never filed BK.

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.