cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Purchase Protection Experiences?

tag
grigorexxxcore
Regular Contributor

American Express Purchase Protection Experiences?

I wanted to share my experience with American Express' Purchase Protection because I need it now, more than ever!

I've only used Purchase Protection twice and this is my 3rd claim this year, but I had a claim last week, I bought a Betsey Johnson luggage and the stupid zipper broke (Made In China crap) and I was refunded the $108 I spent on it.

Now a week later, I switched from Sprint to AT&T and I of course bought the iPhone 4, less than 12 hours later around 1:40A.M. I was at my friends birthday party in her apartments and I wasn't really drunk but I was trying to be delicate and I dropped my iPhone down the stairs, it isn't really bad but there is a crack the goes straight down the phone, would American Express jeopardize my claim because I had one done last week for the Betsey luggage?

I'm completely phone-less and I am really praying to the AmEx Gods that my claim will be approved so I can try and get a new one, the representative said "Your case shouldn't get denied, it's actually a pretty quick decision because of the damage done to your iPhone."

Has anyone had any experiences with Purchase Protection and the iPhone?

I read an AmEx Black Card owner had filed a claim 5 times for his phone because he kept forgetting to take it out the laundry, I just hope all goes well for this case! 

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

Re: American Express Purchase Protection Experiences?

@grigorexxxcore wrote:
I read an AmEx Black Card owner had filed a claim 5 times for his phone because he kept forgetting to take it out the laundry, I just hope all goes well for this case! 

I wouldn't base your decision on how you heard they treated one of their centurion card members. The level of customer service extended to them is something they probably wouldn't do for the rest of us.

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 820 4/11/16
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

IIRC, Amex's Purchase Protection is good for up to $1000 per year, and does cover accidental damage (unlike the Apple warranty). So, I doubt you'd have a problem.

Good luck!

Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you not get insurance on the phone thru AT&T? I'd rather pay the 35-75$ insurance cost thru AT&T rather than use my AmEx purchase protection, just in case you buy something later on that costs more and it happens to break, causing you to exceed the 1000$ like LilMirth said the coverage is good for.

I'm sure the Iphone 4 is pretty expensive and would eat up most of that 1000.

Just my opinion tho, I wish you the best of luck!

Message 4 of 24
unlucky_hove
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Did you not get insurance on the phone thru AT&T? I'd rather pay the 35-75$ insurance cost thru AT&T rather than use my AmEx purchase protection, just in case you buy something later on that costs more and it happens to break, causing you to exceed the 1000$ like LilMirth said the coverage is good for.

I'm sure the Iphone 4 is pretty expensive and would eat up most of that 1000.

Just my opinion tho, I wish you the best of luck!

Coverage is good for 1000 per occurance and 50000 per cardmember, per account, per year. Should be fine....but if not, I cracked my screen and i only had to pay 200 to get it  replaced.

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

unlucky_hove wrote
Coverage is good for 1000 per occurance and 50000 per cardmember, per account, per year. Should be fine....but if not, I cracked my screen and i only had to pay 200 to get it  replaced

oh OK, that makes more sense, if that's the case, then I would def go with AmEx protection program.

Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Doesnt the limit depend on the card? For example the Plat says this "Replacement and repair costs are limited to $10,000 per eligible item up to a maximum of $25,000 per Cardmember per policy year for all occurrences combined."

https://www.iplatinum.americanexpress.com/prospect/canada/english/FrontServlet?request_type=Shopping...

Message 7 of 24
unlucky_hove
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Doesnt the limit depend on the card? For example the Plat says this "Replacement and repair costs are limited to $10,000 per eligible item up to a maximum of $25,000 per Cardmember per policy year for all occurrences combined."

https://www.iplatinum.americanexpress.com/prospect/canada/english/FrontServlet?request_type=ShoppingProtection

I think the platinum is the only one that offers 10000 per occurance (I could be wrong). I think the OP has the zync though so it fits for him.

Message 8 of 24
smc733
Valued Contributor

@unlucky_hove wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

https://www.iplatinum.americanexpress.com/prospect/canada/english/FrontServlet?request_type=ShoppingProtection

I think the platinum is the only one that offers 10000 per occurance (I could be wrong). I think the OP has the zync though so it fits for him.

The thresholds are the same for all cards...

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 9 of 24
unlucky_hove
Regular Contributor

@smc733 wrote:

@unlucky_hove wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The thresholds are the same for all cards...

+1

After reading the article CAREFULLY I see that now Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.