Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express card possible approval maybe

tag
Darrin73
New Contributor

American Express card possible approval maybe

629 fico 8 score 2 baddies 2 inquiries 2 lates  2 years ago. What are my chances n which card would be the easiest 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: American Express card possible approval maybe

With a FICO 8 score of 629 your odds of approval are going to be pretty poor regardless of which AMEX card you apply for.  

Odds improve somewhat with a score over 650 but you really want to have an EX FICO 8 score in the 670-680 range to have reasonable odds of approval.

Do you have a BK reporting and if so a) when was it discharged, and b) was AMEX IIB?

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 14
Darrin73
New Contributor

No bk

Message 3 of 14
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If there is a BK reporting less than 61 months old AMEX will not approve regardless of how good one's post-BK history is, which is why I asked.

I wouldn't say you have no chance as there have been people with scores close to yours who have been approved but the odds are very much against you right now.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 14
Darrin73
New Contributor

Yea I'm making payments towards my navy federal accounts to make them whole again this is what's hurting my scores 

@coldfusion wrote:

If there is a BK reporting less than 61 months old AMEX will not approve regardless of how good one's post-BK history is, which is why I asked.

I wouldn't say you have no chance as there have been people with scores close to yours who have been approved but the odds are very much against you right now.

Message 5 of 14
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I would definitely hold off. I tried applying with Amex twice last year - once with scores in your range, once with scores in the 650 range. Both times I still had one unpaid CO and 6 paid. It wasn't until I paid off that last CO and brought my scores up to 680 along with 7% utilization that I got approved - and even then, it was borderline ($1k SL and double HP - 1 on EX and 1 on TU).

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 14
4sallypat
Valued Contributor

You may want to get some starter / subprime cards like Capital One, Discover, Merrick...

I had to do that to build up credit until I got to the high 600s before I applied for anything decent...

Message 7 of 14
Darrin73
New Contributor

I have discover Ollo credit one Amex version first Premire I have credit like I said my baddies are was holding my scores down that I'm paying on

Message 8 of 14
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

Are you currently doing AZEO? Maybe that could raise your scores enough to be approved. 
   I've got in with mid 600s, but was denied the bonus... $1000 starting limit 5 yrs ago.

@Darrin73 

Message 9 of 14
Darrin73
New Contributor

I'll try that for awhile n see what happens 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.