Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express - payments/closing date/utilization

tag
Pony4her
Regular Contributor

Re: American Express - payments/closing date/utilization

You are correct, there is just a few date difference, I called and they confirmed that my due date is 6/21 and my closing date is 6/25. Will contact the number above tomorrow.  Thanks guys 

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pony4her wrote:

You are correct, there is just a few date difference, I called and they confirmed that my due date is 6/21 and my closing date is 6/25. With this being said, when would you recommend I pay them?  Which date?  

Neither. The date the card reports to the bureaus. 

not the two dates they gave you. 

usually the report date is before statement close date. Ask for "the report date". 

Message 12 of 17
Pony4her
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Pony4her wrote:

You are correct, there is just a few date difference, I called and they confirmed that my due date is 6/21 and my closing date is 6/25. With this being said, when would you recommend I pay them?  Which date?  

usually the report date is before statement close date. Ask for "the report date". 

Just called and they report on statement close date.  Last reported on 5/27, which is also what is listed on Credi Karma; she stated next report will be 6/27 or 6/28.  My due date is 6/21, should I just pay the amount due on 6/21 which is $60 and larger payment of $500 towards balance before the 27th or can I just pay the $560 on the 21st?

@Anonymous @PackAttack07 

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Edit (saw ur details on first post) 

i have 5 AMEX and the report dates are all (except 1) before statement close date. And dates that show changes on credit reports are usually 2-5 days after the report dates. 

Amex Pay the 560 before 6/21 if you can, puts you to about 41%. Need to pay another 300 to hit that 27% threshold.

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Pony4her wrote:

@Anonymous With the exception of US Bank/Elan Financial and a few other outliers, all lenders report balances to the credit bureaus at midnight Pacific Time of the statement close date.  For American Express, the statement close date is the same as the reporting date; although the credit bureau will take a few days to update the information.  Amex definitely does not report before the statement close date.

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

interesting. My data is different. Looking at one of my Amex for last month, I have a report date of 17th, statement close on 19, and (depending on delay) reports are changing on the  21, 22, 23rd (trans/exper/equi).

They could report to bureaus earlier, but they aren't posted/dated until those days. 

my Amex gold statement and report are both on the 3rd with reports updating as early as the 10th (last month anyway). 

Message 16 of 17
Pony4her
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Edit (saw ur details on first post) 

i have 5 AMEX and the report dates are all (except 1) before statement close date. And dates that show changes on credit reports are usually 2-5 days after the report dates. 

Amex Pay the 560 before 6/21 if you can, puts you to about 41%. Need to pay another 300 to hit that 27% threshold.

Thank you.  Will do, will pay it today.  Yep, the close date is the reporting date with them; now I know I will just dump it all today which is a few days before the due date.  

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.