cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Approval but no intro offers given?

tag
Amiblue
New Visitor

Amex Approval but no intro offers given?

I have an Amex for 5 years. All cards in good standing. Decided to get a 2nd and have preapproval but no introductory offers. I have never closed a card after opening and am in good standings to open a new one. Anyone else hear of this? The entire point was for the 0% Apr for 15 months. 

Also, any recommendations on a card that gives solid start amounts with 0% on everything in the beginning? 

Lastly, new account because my other one went poof? No record of me being here when I have been for 10 years. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex Approval but no intro offers given?

Don't close the Amex. Doing so before the 13th month could get you flagged for future SUBs and offers. Amex doesn't like churners. 

Message 2 of 4
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Amiblue wrote:

I have an Amex for 5 years. All cards in good standing. Decided to get a 2nd and have preapproval but no introductory offers. I have never closed a card after opening and am in good standings to open a new one. Anyone else hear of this? The entire point was for the 0% Apr for 15 months. 

Also, any recommendations on a card that gives solid start amounts with 0% on everything in the beginning? 

Lastly, new account because my other one went poof? No record of me being here when I have been for 10 years. 

What card product type do you currently have? What new card have you been looking at? Is there no points/miles bonus as well, or is it just no intro 0% period?

It's definitely unusual to not be eligible for any SUB given that you're not an aggressive bonus chaser with Amex.

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Don't close the Amex. Doing so before the 13th month could get you flagged for future SUBs and offers. Amex doesn't like churners. 

As I understand OP hasn't applied for the second Amex yet, and the first is well past the 13th month mark.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 4
Amiblue
New Visitor

I have: AMEX Preferred 25k, NFCU Preferred 32k, Chase Saphire 17.3k, Chase Freedom Flex 11.7k, Amazon Prime 12k, Citi Costco 15.5k. Sephora (for daughters make up stuff) 12k, Discover IT 10k. Discover is new yesterday. Sephora August open and only for the $300 off I got on initial purchase. All others are 5+ yrs old. Never churned. All cards opened are still open. All at zero except Amex (6k) and costco. 

Amex couldn't tell me why I wasn't eligible for the spend bonus or intro 0% offer. They just said it was the computer decision. 

I go for travel points and cash back mainly to be used for future travel with my family. With summer camp rapidly coming up, I would like a card I can put all expenses on and move the either the costco balance or Amex over for 0% for 12 months. I will pay the other off to zero. I thought discover as they sent me offers for years would do it, but the limit is to low. So I thought AMEX or something would do it, but not being allowed the offers, I don't understand what is happening. FICO scores are all over 740. Costco lowered me with a high utilization after this last statement (out-of-state horse show prepping for Nationals...... What we do for our children,  lol).

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.