Did you mean: 

Amex Fraud

tag
RSCo
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Fraud

@myjourney wrote:

@RSCo wrote:
They will very easily track down who bought it in terms of matching a persons image to the purchase if it was done in a store.. Most stores have cameras and they use them. Depending on how much was spent, it will be considered felony theft if over a certain dollar amount.. Also apple does have the ability to track the device once it's "activated". Something similar happened to 2 friends of mine and in both cases they caught the people by tracking the purchases back the stores, back to images of the people who bought them. The police then had them view the images of the people and in one case it's was a friend of his who stole his card. He went to jail for 8 months and once his job found out he was fired. The other case ended up being a random person and the idiot came back into the store 2 weeks later because the ipad didn't work, somehow apple had disabled it and the fool went back to the place he "bought" it from using someone else's card.. He ended up in state prison as a repeat offender.. LOL.. Anyone who steals in this day and age where everything can be traced are fools ESP if it happens from within the US... These people will be getting a knock on their doors real soon when they least expect it...

Episode of dumpiest criminals script...Casting call filled  twice  Lol

uh HUH... LOL  Smiley Happy

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 11 of 16
adavis425
Established Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@rbizzle wrote:

But without the police report can the iPad/iPod/whatever it is they bought, still be used or recognized by apple as a good device and they will have made out with something shiny & flashy?

That's up to apple because they will be suffering the hit in the pocket...you will be off the hook so will the CC company..Apple didn't check the purchaser which makes them responsibly for there product 

Edit w/o a police report your responsible FYI

I know this not to be the case as I have also had my AmEx used fraudulently. Interestingly, AmEx caught the fraud as it was happening (the charge was declined) and called me. They changed the account number and issued another card. I did not need a police report. I simply needed to verify that I did not attempt the purchase. 

Just last month, a fraudulent purchase was made online with my NFCU card. I simply called and told them. They also cleared the charge and issued a new card with a new number. No police report needed.

These are two reasons I check all my accounts daily. Smiley Wink

I know how the OP feels-you just don't want the thief to prosper even if you're not responsible for the charge.

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 12 of 16
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Hahahha!
Ive lost my wallet before in a drunken stooper!
Glad to ser Amex resolved it for ya!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 13 of 16
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@gstq34 wrote:

Back in the day when I worked retail we were trained to match the signature on the receipt to the back of the card.  Simple and it works.  If no match or no signature on card - get your ID out sonny.  NOW...stupid places ask for my DL everytime no matter what, drives me nuts, a DL is for driving a car not buying a _____. (fill in blank)

Problem is now with electronic signature pads comparing signature does not work well.  I get it.  

We need to convert to European Chip & pin.

Rant over...

Anyway file police report to cover your assets.

How does the European Chip and pin help and makes it more secure when someone has the physical card.  I actually don't know how the technology works with it.

Message 14 of 16
enharu
Super Contributor

Apple can track the exact serial number of the item purchased at their store. Apple products purchased at apple stores are scanned for their serial numbers, which is why receipts nor credit cards are not required when returning them back to the store because the stores keep track via serial numbers.

Some stores like Microsoft store operate in a similar fashion, whereas stores such as best buy do not scan serial numbers except for mobile phone purchases.

Apple will most likely file a police report on their end as well and submit relevant camera footages at those time stamps where the fraudulent purchase was made. Depending on the amount, it could be a felony or a misdemeanor. Apple can also bring suit to the thief to reclaim their losses, making it both a criminal and civil suit.

In summary, whomever was dumb enough to commit credit card fraud in a store that is able to track via item serial numbers and security cameras is usually very screwed. I'm glad Amex resolved it for you as well. As consolation for the trouble you had to go through, that poor chap is going to have to spend a lot more to hire a defense attorney soon.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 15 of 16
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

@armbenderc wrote:
Yup please file police report. Not just Amex other CC ask you to file for a report as well..... As far as I know.

My NFCU card was used to buy two Google Nexus Tablet on Walmart's website a month or two ago. NFCU had me fill out an affadavit and that was it. A few weeks later a Detective called from the town the tablets were being shipped to. I asked him if I should file a police report with my town and he told me it wasn't necessary at that time since NFCU had me fill out an affadavit but that if I wanted to I could. He said he might have me do it at a later date if he needs it for his case. Before you ask I did google the phone number he called from before calling him back and it's a police phone number so I know he really is a cop. What I am saying is that it isn't always necessary to file one. I guess if you want to cover all your bases you might as well fill it out so there's no issues later on.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.