Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold -- when to apply?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Gold -- when to apply?

Hey guys- so I was new to the country a couple years ago and only started building my credit in the past year. I took out a personal loan and paid it back each month on auto pay (finished paying loan), then got a partially secured card at BoA (which i graduated from this month after 5 months). My TU score 705 and my income is 50k a year (not including my husband's), I currently have one card w a 1k limit and no debt/no late payments. I am thinking about applying for the Amex gold. I was wondering if I get my credit score to about 720-30, would I have a good chance at approval?

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Gold -- when to apply?

Check for pre-quals on their website.

Message 2 of 10
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Check for pre-quals on their website.

+1. AMEX usually is friendly to thin, clean files. Check their pre-approval site like was suggested, and if you have any offers for any of their charge cards and/or core cards you will very likely be good to pull the trigger. They will pull your EX and use your FICO 8 for approval, on rare occasion they could pull a 2nd bureau. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 3 of 10
rostrow416
Established Contributor

Check your EX, its what AMEX pulls.  Even without a prequal, you can still be approved, especially if you are over 700.

AMEX Gold | Purdue FCU $20,000 | FNBO Evergreen $15,000 | TFCU Plat Visa $15,000 | PenFed Platinum Rewards $15,000 | PenFed Pathfinder $15,000 | Citizen's Bank Cash Back+ $15,000 | Synchrony Premier MC $10,000 | SG Visa $10,000 | NFCU MoreRewards $7,000 | NFCU cashRewards $17,000 | Discover IT $6,000 | Capital One BuyPower $950 | AMEX BCP $5,000 | AMEX Amazon Prime Business $3,000

B&H Payboo Card $15,000 | Amazon Prime Card $10,000 | PC Richard Card $15,000 | Target RedCard $2,000 | Walmart Store Card $1,400 | Shell Gas Card $1,200 | Overstock Store Card $7,000 | Kohl's Store Card $3,000

Spring Cleaning:
C̶a̶p̶i̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶Q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶0̶0̶0̶ | C̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶V̶i̶s̶a̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶2̶0̶0̶ | M̶e̶r̶r̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶B̶a̶n̶k̶ ̶$̶2̶,̶7̶0̶0̶ | M̶a̶r̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶̶2̶0̶0̶ | C̶o̶m̶e̶n̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶C̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶1̶8̶0̶
Message 4 of 10
W261w261
Frequent Contributor

On the subject of Amex pre-approvals, on the site (I've had an Everyday Pref card for almost 5 yrs) it says I'm pre-approved for the Blue Cash, Gold, and Plat. Score is 690. How reliable are these? I've heard pretty good. Also, I suppose I have little to lose, as for me it would be a SP most likely? 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I too want to apply for the gold this year. I have heard that if you already have cards with Amex that it is a SP so I would say go for it. Their preapprovals are pretty accurate.

Message 6 of 10
805orbust
Valued Contributor

I would feel comfortable with applying for a charge card with Amex if I were you. Even in the 680-699 range there are loads of members here with approvals. The advice for checking pre-approval on the site is sound.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for all the replies, everyone! I'll check the pre approvals before I apply

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE: so i went ahead and applied without the pre qual, and got approved immediately! thanks for the help everyone Smiley Happy 

Message 9 of 10
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Congratulations on your approval!  Please feel free to start a new thread in Credit Card Approvals.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.