Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Pulling Multiple Bureaus

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Amex Pulling Multiple Bureaus

Today I received a notification from TU that my credit was pulled. Since I was on ice, it concerned me. I pulled my report which I hadn't done since like May of last year and saw it was from 4 months ago. doh.gif I decided to check all my other alerts since I was in there and noticed that when I had been applying to Amex last year, they were also pulling TU in addition to Ex. They did it for every single app. They didn't pull EQ. I know that it can vary from location with EX being pulled 95% of the time, but I've never heard of them pulling multiple bureaus. Anyone else notice this for your apps? Is this something new? Maybe they did it because I was borderline getting in.

22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Pulling Multiple Bureaus

Well it would certainly be in line with Chase and Citi who double pull borderline profiles instead of outright denying. 

Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Only have one pull on Experian a year and half ago.  The 6 new cards since then have not received any hard pulls.  Haven't heard of them pulling Trans Union on anyone. 

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I assume I was borderline when I got in with DG and HH, last month. $1k SL on both. 2 HP on EX only. I suppose it can happen. It is uncommon from what I’ve read, though...

Did it affect any of your apps with TU being frozen?

Message 5 of 23
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Seems it’s not unheard of. 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Amex-pulled-Transunion/td-p/5325074

You can always request Amex to have a different bureau pulled, but it's extremely unlikely. I used to do it in the early 2000s. Only once did they pull what I requested. On a recon, I always ask for my EQ to be pulled as it is the most up to date with my deleted collections. In this case, I didn't ask for TU to be pulled. They pulled it along with EX at the same time.

Message 6 of 23
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Only have one pull on Experian a year and half ago.  The 6 new cards since then have not received any hard pulls.  Haven't heard of them pulling Trans Union on anyone. 

This was when I was testing the waters because I was formerly blacklisted. Now that I'm in I haven't received a HP.

Message 7 of 23
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I assume I was borderline when I got in with DG and HH, last month. $1k SL on both. 2 HP on EX only. I suppose it can happen. It is uncommon from what I’ve read, though...

Did it affect any of your apps with TU being frozen?

My reports weren't frozen at the time, but it would explain my denials from NFCU for too many inquiries. I just assumed it was because I added 5 cards in a short amount of time in addition to an auto loan. Turns out I had an additional 4 inquiries from amex on TU.

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I misread that. My bad. Thought you said *it* was on ice. 

Do you use a Credit monitoring service? CK alerts me almost immediately if any HP on EQ and/or TU. That’s about all it’s good for, though.

Message 9 of 23
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I misread that. My bad. Thought you said *it* was on ice. 

Do you use a Credit monitoring service? CK alerts me almost immediately if any HP on EQ and/or TU. That’s about all it’s good for, though.

That's my bad for wording it badly. It's currently on ice, wasn't at the time.

I have all 3 bureaus, creditwise, Disco's, Chase's, and credit karma, which is why I was alarmed. TU's was the only one that went off.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.