Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex, Teach me!

tag
Svthhvn
Contributor

Amex, Teach me!

Ok, so in my reading I've seen you guys say things like "core revolvers", "charge cards", co-branded etc. Treat me like a kindergartner and teach me your knowledge. Which Amex cards are which?? 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex, Teach me!

Charge cards: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/chargecard.asp 

Revolvers: 

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/creditcard.asp 

Amex Charge cards: Green, Gold, Platinum

Revolvers:

Core: anything that is not co-branded

Co-branded: Hilton/Delta/Marriott cards, hence the term co-brand.

Message 2 of 15
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Hey @Anonymous , Can you explain  ..Bluebird, Optima, Zync and Centurion? ...JKSmiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 15
Svthhvn
Contributor

Ok let me clarify, lol I do know what the terms mean. However just trying to make sure my understanding is correct specifically with Amex. BCP, BCE, cash magnet are the core revolvers? The charge cards are the green, gold etc? Co-branded well yes, they do speak for themselves. Thanks for the response. 

Message 4 of 15
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Svthhvn wrote:

Ok let me clarify, lol I do know what the terms mean. However just trying to make sure my understanding is correct specifically with Amex. BCP, BCE, cash magnet are the core revolvers? The charge cards are the green, gold etc? Co-branded well yes, they do speak for themselves. Thanks for the response. 

That is correct.  The various flavors of Green, Gold, Platinum, and Centurion are charge cards.  "Core revolvers" is often used for cards that are only Amex-branded cards (Blue, ED, EDP, BCE, BCP, CM, and this list will get long if I start listing business cards) and "co-branded" are of course Delta, Marriott, Hilton, etc. (a bit light on the etc. at this point since cards like the Mercedes-Benz credit card went away).

To make matters more confusing, there are co-branded charge cards like Platinum cards for various wealth management accounts.

Message 5 of 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Svthhvn wrote:

Ok, so in my reading I've seen you guys say things like "core revolvers", "charge cards", co-branded etc. Treat me like a kindergartner and teach me your knowledge. Which Amex cards are which?? 

If card says Amex , its an Amex, if it says Visa, its not an Amex.

Message 6 of 15
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

That is Cute. Yes. if it has stripes then it is a Zebra. If it has a large Trunk then it is Elepehent. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 15
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@Svthhvn wrote:

Not really, since Amex is also a payment network. NFCU More Rewards, Macy's, etc. may have Amex in the name and logo on the card, but since they're not issued by Centurion bank, they're not Amex backed cards. They're just cards that use the Amex network.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@M_Smart007 wrote:

Hey @Anonymous , Can you explain  ..Bluebird, Optima, Zync and Centurion? ...JKSmiley Very Happy

Must admit for a tenth of a second...

Message 9 of 15
Svthhvn
Contributor

@Anonymous I literally lol'd.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.