cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex and Bankruptcy Policy...Can anyone help with this question?

tag
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

Amex and Bankruptcy Policy...Can anyone help with this question?

I am closing on a house on Friday and am planning an app spree.  I was told by Amex more than a year ago when I apped for a card that they won't consider an applicant if their bankruptcy is less than 8 years old.  I filed for bankruptcy October 2005 and it was discharged February 2006.  Originally, I was going to wait until summer of 2014 before applying for Amex.  But, as I was thinking of what cards I want to add to what I have and what cards I want to ask for increases on, I got to thinking about Amex and their bankruptcy policy.  I'm wondering if Amex considers the 8 years based on the filing date or discharge date?  Would they even know what the discharge date is because it is the month that it was filed that shows up on my credit reports?  Do they add on a few months considering the process that bankruptcy takes?

Have any of you Amex card holders apped with a bankruptcy on your reports?  How old was your bankruptcy?

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Amex and Bankruptcy Policy...Can anyone help with this question?

Message 2 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I don't think 8 years is set in stone but it is rare when we do see earlier.... I would test the waters with a Gold Rewards Premier Charge Card... if successful and you really were looking for Blue Cash Preferred or something, then go ahead and apply at same time but if Charge Card is declined then you know you probably need to wait until at least 8 years.

Message 3 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:
Are you sure your discharge date is not showing?

+1

It should display such information under the PR section of your individual CRs.  As far as AMEX goes, until the BK falls off your CRs, it's going to be a denial the majority of the time.  AMEX is not your typical BK-friendly lender.  You can always exercise your luck since some folks may/can fall through the cracks, but then again, YEMV.

Message 4 of 14
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

@09Lexie, all three reports that I get on here do not have discharge date listed, they only say that it was discharged.  One lists filing date as October 2005 and the other two lists filing date as October 14, 2005.

@Creditaddict - thanks for the suggestion.  I think I will try it that way since BCP is what I want with them.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 5 of 14
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:
Are you sure your discharge date is not showing?

+1

It should display such information under the PR section of your individual CRs.  As far as AMEX goes, until the BK falls off your CRs, it's going to be a denial the majority of the time.  AMEX is not your typical BK-friendly lender.  You can always exercise your luck since some folks may/can fall through the cracks, but then again, YEMV.

Just says discharged with no date listed on all three.  I know customer service isn't always accurate, but I had two different reps tell me 8 years was the target amount of time for them.  I've got between now and Friday to decide if they are going to be on my spree list, so perhaps I'll get some feedback from others who had success.  Thanks for the input!!!

Message 6 of 14
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Reports from CMS' do not show detailed information. Your actual reports from the 3 CRAs will show a discharge and/or dismissed date.

It's a hit if miss on the bk less than 8 yrs.
Message 7 of 14
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Reports from CMS' do not show detailed information. Your actual reports from the 3 CRAs will show a discharge and/or dismissed date.

It's a hit if miss on the bk less than 8 yrs.

Thanks for the info!  I think I will wait until next fall to try.

Message 8 of 14
Repsol

I applied for my first Amex card (BCE) his past Friday and was approved for $6k. Had a bk with a discharge date of May 2006. Not sure what my current fico is, but my CK score is 719, and utilization is currently at 2%.

App'd for a Discover IT same day and was approved also.

Message 9 of 14
rudy0720
Regular Contributor

I had a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy in August 2004 and Amex was included. I was approved for BCE and Delta Gold in August 2013. Guess 9 years was enough to forgive me

Citi Thank You Premier Visa Signature-$9K, Citi Thank You Preferred Vis Signature-$8.3K, Citi AA Signature- 8.5K, Citi Simplicity 9.2K, Citi Diamond-6.1K, Lowes-$10K, Chase Sapphire Preferred- $ 5K, AMEX BCE $14.5K, AMEX Starwood Preferred $15K, ,AMEX Everyday-$5K, Fidelity Amex-$10K, US Bank 123 rewards Kroger-$17K, Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature-$30K, Amex Delta-$10K, Barclay Arrival Plus- $10K, Penfed Travel Rewards Amex-$10K, Bank of America Cash Rewards- $14K
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.