Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex backdating?? How does that work?

tag
mattayy
Frequent Contributor

Amex backdating?? How does that work?

Hello,

When I sign onto my Amex account is says member since 2014 (I was an AU on a card back in 2014) but I just got two of my own Amex cards a couple days ago and it says member since 16' on the card...so which one is it lol 

EQ: 584 TU: 615 EX: 612

Cap 1 Williams Sonoma Visa $3.5k limit, Walmart MC $2k limit, American Express Platinum $2K limit, Venmo Visa $900 limit, Credit One Amex $700 limit, Credit One Visa $400 limit, Kohls $300 limit, Target RedCard $300 limit, Living Spaces $1k limit, Amazon $400 limit, Jcrew $450 limit, US Bank $300 limit
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Chris679
Established Contributor

Re: Amex backdating?? How does that work?

@mattayy wrote:

Hello,

When I sign onto my Amex account is says member since 2014 (I was an AU on a card back in 2014) but I just got two of my own Amex cards a couple days ago and it says member since 16' on the card...so which one is it lol 

You should be able to call them and request replacement cards with the correct date on them.  Check the open date on your credit reports for the new cards though.  They should be 2014 and as long as that is the case no real need to get replacement cards. 

Message 2 of 8
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Chris679 wrote:

@mattayy wrote:

Hello,

You should be able to call them and request replacement cards with the correct date on them.  Check the open date on your credit reports for the new cards though.  They should be 2014 and as long as that is the case no real need to get replacement cards. 

AMEX stopped backdating to the credit bureaus a while ago. Nowadays the only "backdating" that happens is cosmetic in nature. The card can possibly be ordered (though my primary and AU cards have different MSD mark). But it won't matter to the bureaus either way.

Message 3 of 8
Chris679
Established Contributor

Wow I did not know that
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chris679 wrote:
Wow I did not know that

They stopped doing it March of last year.

Message 5 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

It doesn't.

Your card will have your MSD but since the year of your MSD is no longer used for the date opened as indicated on your reports it's not backdating.

@Ghoshida wrote:

AMEX stopped backdating to the credit bureaus a while ago. Nowadays the only "backdating" that happens is cosmetic in nature. The card can possibly be ordered (though my primary and AU cards have different MSD mark). But it won't matter to the bureaus either way.

I recently received a replacement card where I'm an AU and it had my acutal MSD on it instead of the date that I was added.

Message 6 of 8
mattayy
Frequent Contributor

Well that's unfortunate....

EQ: 584 TU: 615 EX: 612

Cap 1 Williams Sonoma Visa $3.5k limit, Walmart MC $2k limit, American Express Platinum $2K limit, Venmo Visa $900 limit, Credit One Amex $700 limit, Credit One Visa $400 limit, Kohls $300 limit, Target RedCard $300 limit, Living Spaces $1k limit, Amazon $400 limit, Jcrew $450 limit, US Bank $300 limit
Message 7 of 8
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

It doesn't.

Your card will have your MSD but since the year of your MSD is no longer used for the date opened as indicated on your reports it's not backdating.

@Ghoshida wrote:

I recently received a replacement card where I'm an AU and it had my acutal MSD on it instead of the date that I was added.

Good to know. Both my original and my replacement AU cards (EveryDay) bear the date of the main cardholder's MSD (2015, I was AU'ed at the same time) which is later than my own MSD (2013) which is there on both my BCE (first AMEX) and PRG (opened in 2016). Since backdating doesn't matter anymore, I haven't bothered getting the AU card changed. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.