Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex cards, need advice on which 1

tag
quarius
Regular Contributor

Amex cards, need advice on which 1

Ok so i have been looking at some Amex cards but right now i don't understand why i would get 1 of there charge cards to have to pay it in full every month. The only thing that im seeing is that u don't get interest but would i just wanna pay in full on any card if i pay in full every month and then have the option to let a balance show? What im asking is the only difference that with the Amex cards like the zinc which is pif every month versus the other where u get the perks but get to pay in parts. Could it be they give u higher trade lines with the charge cards? I think the cards where i can pay it monthly would be better for me unless someone can tell me other wise.

{NFCU-25k}{NFCU-Flagship-25k}{Saphire-15k}{BOA-25k}{DCU-10k}{Slate-7200}{FirstNat-4k}{DiscoverIT-6k}{CitiCash-$4100}{AmexBCE-$8500}{Venture-$6500}
12/23/18 [Experian-Fico 799][TU-Fico799][Equifax-Fico786]
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
jm00ser
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex cards, need advice on which 1

A lot of people (myself included) find charge cards particularly helpful, as they are used as a debit card replacement. Makes swiped transactions safer, and you get the excellent protections that Amex offers for being a card member (you get these with a revolver as well). Also helps me curb spending because I know I have to pay the whole thing at the end of the month. It's been helpful as I try to pay down my balances (slowly but surely!)

Seems like a revolver is what you want, but keep in mind that Amex APRs are typically slightly higher than other revolvers... it would be wise to PIF whether you use charge or revolver.

What's your history and scores? Amex revolver is tough to get a a starter.

In full gardening/ debt annihilation mode! (4/15/13)
Notre Dame FCU Visa 0/2k (8/04); CapOne Best Buy 800/1.5k (7\06)
Citi Thank You World MC 4800/9.7k (1/11); Amex Zync NPSL (9/11)
Chase Freedom Visa 1600/3.8k (9/11); Chase Southwest RR Premier Visa Signature 4300/10.7k (6/12); Discover It 0/3k (7/12)
EQ: 751 (4/1/13) EX: 742 (4/8/13) TU: 732 (4/8/13)
Message 2 of 14
quarius
Regular Contributor

@jm00ser wrote:

A lot of people (myself included) find charge cards particularly helpful, as they are used as a debit card replacement. Makes swiped transactions safer, and you get the excellent protections that Amex offers for being a card member (you get these with a revolver as well). Also helps me curb spending because I know I have to pay the whole thing at the end of the month. It's been helpful as I try to pay down my balances (slowly but surely!)

Seems like a revolver is what you want, but keep in mind that Amex APRs are typically slightly higher than other revolvers... it would be wise to PIF whether you use charge or revolver.

Well as of now my score is at 649 ex score watch and i have a long history of good payments never any lates. I was wondering which 1 i should try for as i never got any Amex before and im currently paying down my debt so i can apply for some new good cards and Amex is 1 of them im looking at. I just looking for some new decent lines of credit my highest line of credit is 12k BOA.

{NFCU-25k}{NFCU-Flagship-25k}{Saphire-15k}{BOA-25k}{DCU-10k}{Slate-7200}{FirstNat-4k}{DiscoverIT-6k}{CitiCash-$4100}{AmexBCE-$8500}{Venture-$6500}
Message 3 of 14
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@quarius wrote:

@jm00ser wrote:

Well as of now my score is at 649 ex score watch and i have a long history of good payments never any lates. I was wondering which 1 i should try for as i never got any Amex before and im currently paying down my debt so i can apply for some new good cards and Amex is 1 of them im looking at. I just looking for some new decent lines of credit my highest line of credit is 12k BOA.

A charge card is nice because you earn points on your spending and you are forced to pay in full, which doesn't let you accumulate debt.  its a great tool for managing your spending responsible.  Payment Protection is very good on the Amex.  If you accidentally break the item, Amex will refund the money you spent for it.  In a story posted last week, a guy broke a glass bong (water pipe) and received a $67 credit on his Amex account because he had paid for it with Amex.  

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 14
quarius
Regular Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@quarius wrote:

@jm00ser wrote:

A charge card is nice because you earn points on your spending and you are forced to pay in full, which doesn't let you accumulate debt.  its a great tool for managing your spending responsible.  Payment Protection is very good on the Amex.  If you accidentally break the item, Amex will refund the money you spent for it.  In a story posted last week, a guy broke a glass bong (water pipe) and received a $67 credit on his Amex account because he had paid for it with Amex.  

Thats good 2 know i never new that they give u money back if u break something. Well im pretty good on my spending and paying bills, i make pretty good money. Well i was thinking maybe 1 of the blue cards would be good for me either the points or cash, but there is the zync card but thats the pif card. I just don't know what to make out of that charge card, kinda scared to comit to something like that. 

Let me ask u guys this also within this month most of my debt will be reporting low util and i plan on asking for CLI on my current cards, should i apply for this Amex before, on or after asking for CLI? some of my cards like the 3 BOA cards i have will do a hp, i only have a few hp showing right now. 

Message 5 of 14
Open123
Super Contributor

People prefer charge cards mainly for the NPSL spending power and the MR Program's airline transfer partners.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is where the charge cards comes in handy. Say, you want to buy something that is $6000 (or even $30,000), but you only have a total CL of $4,000 (or $25,000). You have the cash, but want to get rewards to help offset the cost of your purchase. In this case, the charge card works great because you can, if you have money in the bank, still put a purchase beyond your CL and get rewarded for the purchase (and some benefits such as warranty extension) rather than just writing a check.

Before I had a high limit revolver, I only had my Zync. When I bought my car, I wanted to be able to get some points for the downpayment. Instead of writing a check for $5k, I used my Zync and got 5,000 points instead of nothing with a check.

Or say, you are building your credit and you are having a difficult time getting decent CLs (stuck with the 500 here, 250 there etc). You want buyer protection, you have scores for a Zync, so you get yourself a Zync and instead of using debit cards (or contantly paying off your low limits so you can spend more) you can just use your Zync until you get some better cards.

Charge cards are also good for your Fico score because they do not count as utilization when used.

Message 7 of 14
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Why do people use debit cards when you get no points, and lesserprotections?  Same reason you would get charge card.  Controls your spending.  Additionally protections are great and you earn rewards.  Other reasons are limits on amex charge cards grow faster.  For those who use for expenses such as business, they can build up limits to the hundreds of thousands a month.  No credit card will do that.  They basically have no choice.  There are fico scoring advantages with charge cards as well.  Others get Amex charge card because they just don't qualify for Amex revolver.  Amex prizes history with them so this is gateway to their revolver.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 8 of 14
quarius
Regular Contributor

Ok thanks everyone for your help on me deciding what to do, i will go for the zync card first. Didn't know u get all that stuff from the charge card.

Also what does this mean (NPSL spending power and the MR)? a poster before wrote that but i don't know what it means.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

No preset spending limit, they will let you charge as much as amex feels you can afford.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.