Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex new Terms: Ban Gift Cards From Earning ANY Points

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex new Terms: Ban Gift Cards From Earning ANY Points

BCP does have a cap on 6% earning at geocery, its 6000. This is not a number that requires lot of MS to meet. One can easily do legit grocery and max that.

In that sense, gift card or not, doesn't seem to matter much to axp.

Now Gold is a different deal, lol.

btw, anyone has axp's finance analysis for recent years?

Message 31 of 40
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@KJinNC wrote:

If I were them, I'd create some formula to identify cardholders who are net costs, and look closer at that group, without bothering everyone else. Keep in mind that many of these cards have annual fees. BCP is $95/year. So even at 6% cash back, there's a lot of margin for that cardholder to be profitable or at least break-even. BCE has no annual fee, but someone who was really looking to exploit this would probably get BCP for the higher percentage. And you also have to consider perception in a couple of ways. 1 - More cardholders = more merchants accepting the card = more cardholders. 2 - You don't want to create a scare among profitable cardholders who are now afraid to buy gift cards for their nephew's graduation or the like. I'm sure Amex knows this and won't be too extreme in how they handle this, but I guess we'll see. Meanwhile, I did buy a $50 Lowe's gift card from staples.com to capitalize on the $10 off for $40 spend offer (stacked on extra points per $1 Staples offer) and am curious to see how they handle.

Staples.com is one the merchants that provides Level 3 processing which lists all the items in your purchase. Once it posts if you click on it Amex will show you the details, so you should see it listed as a $50 gift card. If they don't give you points at least your got the $10 off. I've been using my BCP at Safeway grocery and Circle K for gas & cigarettes (yeah, I know). When I click those Amex just shows me the store address & category, so I know those aren't providing L3 processing. And yes, the cigs got 3% as gas. Smiley Embarassed

Message 32 of 40
iced
Valued Contributor

@KJinNC wrote:

If I were them, I'd create some formula to identify cardholders who are net costs, and look closer at that group, without bothering everyone else. Keep in mind that many of these cards have annual fees. BCP is $95/year. So even at 6% cash back, there's a lot of margin for that cardholder to be profitable or at least break-even. BCE has no annual fee, but someone who was really looking to exploit this would probably get BCP for the higher percentage. And you also have to consider perception in a couple of ways. 1 - More cardholders = more merchants accepting the card = more cardholders. 2 - You don't want to create a scare among profitable cardholders who are now afraid to buy gift cards for their nephew's graduation or the like. I'm sure Amex knows this and won't be too extreme in how they handle this, but I guess we'll see. Meanwhile, I did buy a $50 Lowe's gift card from staples.com to capitalize on the $10 off for $40 spend offer (stacked on extra points per $1 Staples offer) and am curious to see how they handle.

I don't think the perception would be all that negative outside of the extreme award-chasing crowd. In the mainstream world, almost nobody gets a card because they see someone else using it at a store. The profitable cardholders won't be afraid to buy a gift card because most of them don't know and/or don't care that it won't count toward their award earnings.

As someone else posted earlier, the ones this change will make or break are the people who made the cards attractive by funneling spend through GCs. Those people aren't profitable to American Express, and those people won't be missed should they cancel their cards. They're not going to go handling that market segment with kid gloves now because they don't (nor should they) care if that segment rejects them for it.

Message 33 of 40
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Right - as long as the only people affected or targeted are those extreme users. But if a reputation gets out that you shouldn't use Amex for gift card purchases because you won't get points for it, it could have unintended consequences. And, it's really not that difficult for rumors like that to spread far beyond a tiny niche of users. It's the type of thing that could easily become small talk at backyard barbecues. I have no objection to Amex doing this on philosophical grounds, I just hope (and expect) that they don't overdo it.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 34 of 40
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Data point

July 24th I earned the 800 points for MS at staples plus the Offer counted for the spend 40 get 1000 points. 

I don’t know when the changes went into effect but my very recent purchase counted803E7B73-06DF-49D8-A47D-75D019B3DD79.jpeg

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 35 of 40
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@Shadowfactor wrote:

You've got a lot of last 5's showing FYI....

Message 36 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

What about buying an AMX gift card to use for rent? Will I get the reward points? How can the landlord redeem the GC? I am pretty sure he could not deposit it into his bank account right?

Message 37 of 40
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What about buying an AMX gift card to use for rent? Will I get the reward points? How can the landlord redeem the GC? I am pretty sure he could not deposit it into his bank account right?

The standard way for people to use Amex cards is just to use them for purchases (i.e. in stores and online)   Unlike Visa and MC gift cards, they are harder to trun into cash.

But as to reward points:   what Amex might see or infer is the purchase of a gift card.   If they care, your intended purpose doesn't matter.

Message 38 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay thanks
Message 39 of 40
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I wonder how this will be enforced while I don't do much gc purchasing with my amex gold card, I do buy the occasional amazon gc or gas gc at my local supermarket, if it becomes a big deal to amex will just move those purchases to chase ink card where i would get 5x, I am not really all that enamored with UR these days but not much else you can do it amex decides they want to crack down on all GC purchases.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 40 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.