Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex on X-Pay (for some value of X)

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Amex on X-Pay (for some value of X)

As I just upgraded my BCE to BCP, I added it to Samsung Pay to use it till I hit the limit.   I added it first to my phone, then added the SAME card (i.e. my number not her AU one) to my wife's   She was able to use it yesterday with no problem.   I tried today and it said "not accepted, please swipe"  Since I didn't have the card, I used Samsung Pay with another and it worked fine so not an issue with the terminal

Is there an issue with having the same Amex card number on multiple devices?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex on X-Pay (for some value of X)

Maybe it's a tokenization issue?  I'm assuming both devices are Samsung/Android?

I have a mix of AmEx CCs on multiple devices (Apple Wallet & Samsung Pay) and so far no issues on using any of them.

Message 2 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

It never worked for me. 

I couldn't add it to second phone (which they have on file) without disappearing from the first one and vice versa.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX says you can have the card in two Google Pay wallets. I would assume that just means two tokens per card no matter the platform. 

"Can I use my Card with multiple Google accounts?

Yes. At this time, American Express allows you to add your eligible American Express Card to two unique Google accounts in your wallets."

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/android-pay/faqs.html

Message 4 of 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

AMEX says you can have the card in two Google Pay wallets. I would assume that just means two tokens per card no matter the platform. 

Yes. At this time, American Express allows you to add your eligible American Express Card to two unique Google accounts in your wallets."

Google/Android Pay is different from Samsung Pay?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I called Amex and they told me same card can be added to 5 devices, and they have no record of any denial, didn't reach their systems.

But my Chase card worked with SP at the same reader immediately after, so....!   Will try again.

Message 6 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I forget Google Pay exists, I really only use Samsung Pay, but I was never able to add same card to two devices. 

Older device is S20 and I really wanted it to work because no MST on S21.

I guess I'll try with GP. 

Message 7 of 11
TampaBAY86
Regular Contributor

I've had my Gold on my Samsung Pay, as well as my husband's, since I opened the card a couple years ago.  We've never had an issue.

On the other hand, my husband opened the Hilton Surpass in April and we added it to both phones.  That card has been nothing but issues in Samsung Pay and is always a decline.  It may just be something going on with recent Amex cards.  We just use the physical card at this point.

Message 8 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

I forget Google Pay exists, I really only use Samsung Pay, but I was never able to add same card to two devices. 

Older device is S20 and I really wanted it to work because no MST on S21.

I guess I'll try with GP. 

I added it without an issue, but getting it to work after!

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Google/Android Pay is different from Samsung Pay?

Not really. They're tokenized cards either way, just different networks that they go over.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.