Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex shows prequalified

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex shows prequalified

Hi. So I checked site for any offers and after filling out the form it showed: green, platinum and gold.
I am not sure if I want to take it.
Scores are 664-682-674
Never had Amex before.
Should I take one of the cards or wait until better offers pop up?
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex shows prequalified

I would review the benefits of each of those charge cards and see if applying to any of them will benefit you. Would you be able to recoup the AF with the benefits? If not.....no. I would pass. The AF on those cards go up to $550. Make sure it will be worth it. 

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also,

Pick the card that works for you and not the one you're offered.  While you're shopping for a card also use incognito/private mode to get the higherst offered bonus since you can only claim it once every 7 years https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/?category=all  For instance the Gold through a normal browser offers 35K and the incognito method offers 50K.

The 3 cards the popup are dependent on the options that you select while filling out the form.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi. Yes I used incognito mode.
Currently I don’t dine out much, don’t fly often and don’t really see it as my everyday card.
The only thing is strange to me is that I wanted to get in with Amex before but seeing that I was prequalified didn’t trigger “I want it” in me.
The only benefit I see is pulling it out somewhere to show off 😂
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also paying in full kind of scares me a little even though I pay in full on other cards but still scary.
But should I take the offer just to get in with Amex for the future offers or just wait?
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, the PIF situation is the best situation.  You have other cards you can carry a balance on if need be.  If you find PIF to be too much they will offer you POT where you can break it into payments but, the APR is usually 20%+ on that option like any other CC.  

There are pro's / con's with every situation though.  I've tried both types of cards and didn't like the AF with the Charge card for what I was using it for it didn't make sense.  I tend to eat in a lot of the time so BCP made more sense IF I was going to pay an AF then it was more worthwhile to do so at a lesser AF and more % back.

Dig through the 18 card options and see if there's another option that's more appealing.  From the sound of it though I'm guessing you'll fall in somewhere with BCE/BCP (Cash) or ED/EDP (MR's) or if you want the 1.5% Amex the Cash Magnet would be an option too.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi. Yes I used incognito mode.
Currently I don’t dine out much, don’t fly often and don’t really see it as my everyday card.
The only thing is strange to me is that I wanted to get in with Amex before but seeing that I was prequalified didn’t trigger “I want it” in me.
The only benefit I see is pulling it out somewhere to show off 😂

If you don't do any of those things then you will get little to no benefit from cards with annual fees of $150 (Green) $250 (Gold) $550 (Platinum)

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You don't need to fly frequently to benefit from some of these cards, you just need to fly once or twice.

Now, first thing you may want to do, is to examine your spending each year and see how much you spend in each categories, then see what cards from lenders will get you the best values.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anybody know if I’m good to apply for BCE or HH even though it doesn’t show besides 3 charge cards. I won’t be able to justify annual fees.
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Following the rumors of co-brands being easier than core products the HH could be easier to get than BCE but, which one offers you a better payoff if you pull the trigger?  

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.