Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annual Income/Household Income American Express

tag
vish1
Valued Contributor

Re: Annual Income/Household Income American Express

IMO you should be OK. Atleast the 1040 doesn't have anyway for them to figure out the income division unless they can get a copy of W2 also. I don't think they are insanely unreasonable or anything. F/Rs are not as common as they seem to, infact I believe they are pretty rare. We are not in stone age, Amex must be using sophisticated algorithms to judge when to do a F/R (its a huge cost to them also).

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 11 of 17
aftermath
Established Contributor

@DI wrote:

@aftermath wrote:

@DI wrote:

You'd put down whatever income that you can prove if you're ever FR'd

So on the application, if I put $100k as my houshold income, and my jointly filed W2 shows $100k.  I should be fine?

No!  Not if you're not submitting a joint application for credit. 

But the $100k is my household income (wife + me).  Now I'm confused.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 12 of 17
aftermath
Established Contributor

I'm sorry, i've been getting W2 and 1040 mixed up.

The 1040 I have shows both my wife and my total income of $100k.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 13 of 17
DI
Super Contributor

Call AMEX Customer Service.  They'd be happy to answer your inquiries. 

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@vish1 wrote:

IMO you should be OK. Atleast the 1040 doesn't have anyway for them to figure out the income division unless they can get a copy of W2 also. I don't think they are insanely unreasonable or anything. F/Rs are not as common as they seem to, infact I believe they are pretty rare. We are not in stone age, Amex must be using sophisticated algorithms to judge when to do a F/R (its a huge cost to them also).

I agree 100%.

This isnt rocket science. If it asks for household income, put household income. *IF* they request a f/r, they'll be looking at your 1040.

Message 15 of 17
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@aftermath wrote:

@smc733 wrote:

Be warned, they're ridiculous about that.

They'll ask for "We need to confirm your HOUSEHOLD INCOME", but will only accept YOUR tax information...  Best to use personal income only, unless filing jointly.

So if I file jointly with my wife, I can use my acutal household income?

You're probably fine to put your household income.  If I remember correctly, smc733 ran into problems becase he filled out his application listing household income including the income of his parents.  I'm not passing judgment on that because I don't have a clue one way or the other whether you're allowed to include parental income as a student on a credit card app.  I'm only pointing it out because his experience isn't necessarily indicative of yours.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 17
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

+1

If a form asks for household income, I enter the household income. If it asks for my income, I enter mine.

I don't see anything deceptive in providing HHI when that's what they're asking for. If I'm ever F/R'd, and I agree that this is getting rarer and rarer, and IF I decide to go through it (which I probably won't), I'll give them whatever form they ask for. If they want to drop my CL as a result, so be it.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.