Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another new moderator

tag
rom828
Established Contributor

Re: Another new moderator

@MyCreditStinks wrote:

Congrats to you beamMeup! For some reason I thought you were already a mod, congrats!

Me, too!  I guess because she' s always patient, kind,  knowledgable, .....just like all our other MODs!!Smiley Wink

Big congrats to you, beam!!  I look forward to much more of your keen advice!Smiley Happy

FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 11 of 38
happy0510
Established Contributor

Congrats beamMeup! You have helped me many times in the past and I am very grateful!!

Starting Score: 615
Current Score: 709
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awwwww!!!!  Thanks for the kind words!  You have made my day!  Smiley Tongue

Truth be told, I hope I can catch on with some degree of speed and/or grace - it'll take a bit of time for me to regain my bearings!   (Not that I ever had them).

The good news is I get to learn from and hang out with la creme de la creme on these boards.  I've learned a ton from the mods and posters on these forums and hope I can pay back just a little - once in awhile - in some way.

And, I've got to say - these forums are really a top notch online learning and sharing community.  Thanks Barry for making them so!  And thanks Mods for being WAY patient with me (from day one, I might add).  You guys are all great - thanks for letting me hang out with you on the boards.

Message 13 of 38
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@TheCreditKid wrote:

How does one become a moderator and what are the benefits of being one?

Well I can only speak from my perspective  All the moderators are volunteers and have been part of this community for various lengths of time but all of us for several years I believe except for me. I registered in July 2009. Contrary to what many believe none of us are employed by myFICO.

We come from all walks of life. I happen to be a retired firefighter. We found myFICO in various ways I imagine. I can’t even remember now how I came here. It seems like most if not all of us have been in the credit basement and just got tired of making the same mistakes over and over and decided to do something about it.

I think you’ll find that the mods go out of their way to try and welcome visitors and let new members realize that they are not the first ones to make credit mistakes and there are ways to correct past errors. We’ve been there and done that and are not harsh (or at least try not to be) or judgmental.

I think you’ll find that a calm, steady tone is used almost exclusively in what mods post. Are there exceptions? Sure there are because we all say things we shouldn’t but that’s the exception from what I’ve seen.

Mods don’t flame other posters or condemn them if they happen to have a different opinion. I’m not saying it takes a special person to be a mod (I’m certainly not special in any way) but I think it takes a certain personality. A personality that doesn’t take things personally and one that wants to help others.

Those are just a few of my thoughts.

What are the benefits? Lets see.

Since we are volunteers the pay is not all that great.

The major medical and dental package could use a boost.

Paid vacation? Forget about that!

The biggest benefit for me personally? I get to have fun and learn things about credit and debt and the proper management of both that I never knew before and probably never would know otherwise.

If I can help others with a question that’s great but I learn as much or more from reading other posts and advice and opinions and suggestions.

Message 14 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats

Message 15 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@TheCreditKid wrote:

Well...........A personality that.............and.......(ya-da ya-da ya-da).......Those are just a few of my thoughts.

Ah-hem.

I think MVV forgot to mention good looks!

Message 16 of 38
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Ah-hem.

I think MVV forgot to mention good looks!

Yours or mine??  Smiley Very Happy

Message 17 of 38
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@TheCreditKid wrote:

Just to add to MVV's great list, I'd say:

• You have to know a reasonable amount about consumer credit scoring.
  • You have to be curious and always want to learn more.
  • You have to be able to cheerfully admit when you don't know.
  • You have to be willing to go back and correct all the wrong stuff you posted when you find out that it was wrong. (This happens a lot.)
  • You have to be able to get along with all kinds of people, including people who are really different from you in terms of personality, who may rub you the wrong way, but who are still great contributors to the forums.
  • You have to have a certain skepticism or downright cynicism about some of the stuff that you read, but reply with a straight face anyway.
  • You have to be kind and gentle much of the time, especially with terrified noobies, and be willing to deal out the tough love when necessary.
  • You have to be able to park your ego outside the door (mostly, anyway.)
  • It helps to be independently wealthy, retired, or working at a job where you have, umm, some discretion in the use of your time.

As for the benefits, we all joke about the health benefits and paid vacations, but of course, there isn't any of that. We're all just volunteers. My benefit package has included learning a lot about a weird little field of knowledge, having an entertaining alternative to my daily job, and making some wonderful friends. It has been downright life-changing, in fact.

I've described being a forums moderator as being like a hostess (or host) at a ridiculously large cocktail party. We greet people at the door, get them a drink and a nibble, introduce them to someone that we think they might like to know, keep everything moving, introduce new topics of conversation, break up the occasional fight, and every now and then wrestle someone out the door.  Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 18 of 38
mross1080
Established Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@TheCreditKid wrote:

Just to add to MVV's great list, I'd say:

• You have to know a reasonable amount about consumer credit scoring.
  • You have to be curious and always want to learn more.
  • You have to be able to cheerfully admit when you don't know.
  • You have to be willing to go back and correct all the wrong stuff you posted when you find out that it was wrong. (This happens a lot.)
  • You have to be able to get along with all kinds of people, including people who are really different from you in terms of personality, who may rub you the wrong way, but who are still great contributors to the forums.
  • You have to have a certain skepticism or downright cynicism about some of the stuff that you read, but reply with a straight face anyway.
  • You have to be kind and gentle much of the time, especially with terrified noobies, and be willing to deal out the tough love when necessary.
  • You have to be able to park your ego outside the door (mostly, anyway.)
  • It helps to be independently wealthy, retired, or working at a job where you have, umm, some discretion in the use of your time.

As for the benefits, we all joke about the health benefits and paid vacations, but of course, there isn't any of that. We're all just volunteers. My benefit package has included learning a lot about a weird little field of knowledge, having an entertaining alternative to my daily job, and making some wonderful friends. It has been downright life-changing, in fact.

I've described being a forums moderator as being like a hostess (or host) at a ridiculously large cocktail party. We greet people at the door, get them a drink and a nibble, introduce them to someone that we think they might like to know, keep everything moving, introduce new topics of conversation, break up the occasional fight, and every now and then wrestle someone out the door.  Smiley Wink

Hauling. I think that was the most precise and well thought out definition I've ever read. I dont know what your day job is but you should think about writing dictionary's! I'd buy one!

Message 19 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

haulingthescoreup wrote:   We greet people at the door, get them a drink and a nibble,

And there's yet one more thing MVV didn't mention.

I guess I can deal with no pay and no benefits if at least I know we have drinks and nibbles.  Smiley Tongue

Message 20 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.