Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any card suggestions?

tag
CF_Frost
New Contributor

Any card suggestions?

New to the forum, definitely have enjoyed lurking for a while. 

Just curious if anyone had any card suggestions. Admittedly I'm probably just looking for a reason to get another card but I would appreciate any feedback. 

Im 24, about $40K income, 765 on whatever CreditKarma uses (TU I believe) 750 FICO on my Discover statement. I have an Amex BC with a $9K limit, Discover IT with a $1250 limit, Chase Sapphire with a $5K limit, and my oldest card is a $500 secured card through my bank that I've had for about Two years. I've had the others for 10 months, 18 months, and four months respectively. My AAOA is low and the $500 card isn't going anywhere, and has a $20 fee, so I'm going to bite the bullet and close it while all my accounts are relatively the same age. To be honest, I've got most of my basic spending categories covered, but I wouldn't mind getting maybe one more credit line going before my score takes a small hit. I'm a big Amex fan and wouldnt mind another Amex but not sure I could justify an annual fee on a charge card. There's a chance I could do some traveling through my job and was thinking one of their Hilton cards perhaps. Just wanted to see what potential benefits a charge card with a fee would have when I already have one of their cards with similar benefits and no fee, or if anyone had any other card suggestions. I'm sure I'm leaving something out here, feel free to lay in. My spending is typically restaurants, gas, groceries, the occasional vacation or business trip. Obviously not spending just a ton with my income. No other credit lines, installment loans, or anything else prior to my secured bank card. 

I'll hang up and listen. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
CF_Frost
New Contributor

Re: Any card suggestions?

Only two inquiries per TU. Knew I was forgetting something important. 

Message 2 of 8
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

If you're a AAA member, you might consider the AAA Member Rewards Signature Visa from BofA.   When my scores allow it, I'm in on that card. 

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 3 of 8
CF_Frost
New Contributor

Not a AAA member unfortunately. 

Honestly what I'm hoping for ITT is for someone to justify me applying for an Amex Gold. 

Message 4 of 8
notfancy
Valued Contributor

It seems like any card with good rewards is going to have an annual fee. You seem to have a lot of spending categories and things covered with your current cards. Have you tried for the 3x Amex CLI?

If you can justify the Amex Gold, go for it!

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 5 of 8
CF_Frost
New Contributor

Started with a $1K limit on my BCE. Well versed with the 3x CLI. One of the reasons I favor Amex so much. 

Since all all my other cards are no annual fee, maybe I can justiffy one just to have. 

Message 6 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@CF_Frost wrote:

Started with a $1K limit on my BCE. Well versed with the 3x CLI. One of the reasons I favor Amex so much. 

Since all all my other cards are no annual fee, maybe I can justiffy one just to have. 

Amex Gold doesn't make much sense over the Green: Gold PR is a different story but you need something like 30k spend annually to really make it shine last I saw, not certain if that math holds quite the same now but haven't heard differently.

In your shoes I'd be looking at the Costco card if you wanted to stay in the Amex family, I'm probably going to wind up doing that as well at a more advanced age and income level, can't justify the Gold PR nor the CSP really with my aggregate spending.  If I start travelling extensively and pick an appropriate travel partner, then one of those might make sense; however, until then 2% on restaurants is cheaper to do on something else and seems like you have most of your other spending categories handled better than 1% default.

        
Message 7 of 8
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

My favorite rewards cards that you could probably get are:

Barclays Sallie Mae: great if you don't have a ton of spend on groceries, gas, and you use Amazon; 5% CB in those categories, 1% elsewhere

Fidelity Amex: 2% everywhere. You do have to open a Fidelity account to get it. Open a cash management account and its smooth sailing. 

Chase Freedom: 5% rotating categories; 1% elsewhere

Chase Marriott Premier: good if you stay at their properties. Free night every year and points add up quickly.

Edited for spelling errors.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.