cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any possibility that fixed-rate cards may make a comeback of sorts, after the FED raises prime rate?

tag
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Any possibility that fixed-rate cards may make a comeback of sorts, after the FED raises prime rate?

Perhaps this may be a certain degree of wishful thinking on my part, but is any possibility that fixed-rate cards may make a comeback of sorts, after the FED raises prime rate?  Especially if the prime rate eventually gets above a certain threshold?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Re: Any possibility that fixed-rate cards may make a comeback of sorts, after the FED raises prime r

bump?  Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any possibility that fixed-rate cards may make a comeback of sorts, after the FED raises prime r

My CU credit card has a fixed 7.90% APR, it also has no BT fees and works as an overdraft protection for my checking account. I figured with the low rate it would be good to have if I ever need to carry a balance on anything without a 0% offer.

Message 3 of 11
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Just thought I'd try bumping this thread one more time, in case anyone else had any other thoughts of feedback to hopefully offer please?

Message 4 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

In the banking world more than likely they will not, these guys are into top profits and fixed rate cards dont offer that. The CU scene is where you will find most fixed rate cards and I believe it will stay that way even when the fed raises rates which IMO isnt going to be too fast.

Message 5 of 11
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Frist Premie may come out with a fixed rate card, at 40% APR and a $200 AF.... anyone interested? Smiley LOL

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 6 of 11
rlx01
Established Contributor

My SF. Fire CU card is a fixed rate 7.25% card.
Message 7 of 11
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

Frist Premie may come out with a fixed rate card, at 40% APR and a $200 AF.... anyone interested? Smiley LOL

ME!

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 8 of 11
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

In the banking world more than likely they will not, these guys are into top profits and fixed rate cards dont offer that. The CU scene is where you will find most fixed rate cards and I believe it will stay that way even when the fed raises rates which IMO isnt going to be too fast.

Yes, I did look into the CU option for fixed-rate cards some time ago, but unfortunately, AFAIK, there are no credit unions that I would be eligible or qualify for membership for, that offer fixed rates, sadly  Smiley Sad  I researched many CUs that were local to me, but they were either offering high variable-rate cards, or, even if the cards were single-digit rates, the terms were still that of a variable-rate card.  And so because of this limitation of being able to join CUs that do offer single-digit, fixed-rate cards, I am afraid I am kinda out of luck, on that front at least.

Message 9 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@gdale6 wrote:

Agree.  Plus, due to economic shifts in the marketplace, namely during the economic meltdown during 2008 and the Card Act reform in 2009, the majority of financial institutions have shied away from offering fixed-rate, unsecured CC lending altogether in favor of other strategic revenue channels.  Other than some individuals who have been grandfatehered with some legacy products for some banks, there are some CUs, community banks and FSB institutions that currently offer some non-variable/fixed rate CCs, but it's fairly certain these would require very excellent creditworthiness to even qualify. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.