cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone denied when preapproved (via website) by Discover? (Have 4 year old paid tax lien)

tag
LisaJ
Frequent Contributor

Anyone denied when preapproved (via website) by Discover? (Have 4 year old paid tax lien)

So I am in the market for a Macbook Pro.  I have plenty of options for purchase, but would like to take advantage of a zero interest, points earning situation. I'll need to carry a balance for a few months.  Lots of good refurb or educator deals via Apple, but tax generally evens it out.  However, Discover offers 5% through their shopping portal.

I did the preapproval site and was preapproved for a Discover It, with 14 months same as cash, but I am interested in hearing what the success rate is for "preapprovals" after actual app.  I have a paid state tax lien from 2009 and a 30 day late from 2006.  No other baddies.

Quick profile- MyFico EQ is 702, Experian score (from their website) is 747, TU Fako is over 700. I have inquiries on Experian and Equifax from last July and December from Chase Yes; they HPed BOTH). No inquiries on TU at all.

Highest limit that shows is a CSP at 10,000.  I also have Freedom @$7500, and an Ink (hidden tradline--it doesn't report), also at $10,000. I had to recon CSP and Ink, and the CLI from Freedom, but Chase iamazing on recon, so all was good there.  I have various store cards and no subprimes.  Util is at or below 10%. AAoA is 6 years.

Thoughts? My scores are ridiculously sensitive to everything...one inquiry last year (ONE!) dropped me 11 points, and that was before the card reported, so it wasn't because my AAoA changed).  I knwo I could just get the Barclay card from Apple, but thought the It might be a better card to have.  I've also considered and been "prequalified" for BOA and Citi, but this is the first time I have EVER been "preapproved" for anything, which has me a bit excited.

WOW! EQ when I joined myFICO: 657. Ups and downs and a few bumps and bruises, but finally back over 700. Whew!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Anyone denied when preapproved (via website) by Discover? (Have 4 year old paid tax lien)

@LisaJ wrote:

So I am in the market for a Macbook Pro.  I have plenty of options for purchase, but would like to take advantage of a zero interest, points earning situation. I'll need to carry a balance for a few months.  Lots of good refurb or educator deals via Apple, but tax generally evens it out.  However, Discover offers 5% through their shopping portal.

I did the preapproval site and was preapproved for a Discover It, with 14 months same as cash, but I am interested in hearing what the success rate is for "preapprovals" after actual app.  I have a paid state tax lien from 2009 and a 30 day late from 2006.  No other baddies.

Quick profile- MyFico EQ is 702, Experian score (from their website) is 747, TU Fako is over 700. I have inquiries on Experian and Equifax from last July and December from Chase Yes; they HPed BOTH). No inquiries on TU at all.

@Highest limit that shows is a CSP at 10,000.  I also have Freedom @$7500, and an Ink (hidden tradline--it doesn't report), also at $10,000. I had to recon CSP and Ink, and the CLI from Freedom, but Chase iamazing on recon, so all was good there.  I have various store cards and no subprimes.  Util is at or below 10%. AAoA is 6 years.

Thoughts? My scores are ridiculously sensitive to everything...one inquiry last year (ONE!) dropped me 11 points, and that was before the card reported, so it wasn't because my AAoA changed).  I knwo I could just get the Barclay card from Apple, but thought the It might be a better card to have.  I've also considered and been "prequalified" for BOA and Citi, but this is the first time I have EVER been "preapproved" for anything, which has me a bit excited.

Based on your profile and of course YMMV but I feel you have a good chance of approval and better perks from discover card as well

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Anyone denied when preapproved (via website) by Discover? (Have 4 year old paid tax lien)

I was approved in Jan with scores similar to yours. I also have a paid state tax lien from 2006. I did not try their pre approval website - I app'ed from here.

Good luck if you go for it!
Message 3 of 11
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Your fine.  If it was unpaid you might have difficulties but I say your good to go. 

Message 4 of 11
Lambo23
Frequent Contributor

I never got a single offer from discover and when filling out the pre approval thing on their site it never told me I was approved for anything. I applied last week and was approved.
Message 5 of 11
LisaJ
Frequent Contributor

Thanks so much!  I am gearing up to do this and it is very helpful to hear from others who have gotten a Discover with a paid lien, or gotten a Discover without the preapproval from the site. I appreciate the feedback; I'm going to take a few days to decide and then will report back so that my exoerience can/will be helpful to others.

Who do they generally pull?

WOW! EQ when I joined myFICO: 657. Ups and downs and a few bumps and bruises, but finally back over 700. Whew!

Message 6 of 11
enharu
Super Contributor

They usually pull equifax or transunion. You should be fine like others have said since your lien is paid.

I was not pre-approved either and I got approved for 9000 CL.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 11
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I got several pre-approvals in the months prior and then decided to apply. well did not get it Smiley Sad ..app cancelled..Smiley Sad ..reason never revealed. asked for a denial letter so I could get a free report at least. then all the sudden got approved but with a lower CL...still have no clue why my app,got cancelled at first...called several times to find out but no one would reveal the secret to me. my EQ Fico was 793 at time of application. No badies, AaoA 8+ yrs, '2% util, 1% dti...remains a mystery and if I did not ask for a denial letter rather than a cancellation letter I would have never been approved. some lenders are a simple mystery to me...YMMV Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 11
LisaJ
Frequent Contributor

Updated:  Approved for Discover It!  Thank you for your help, everyone.  Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

Congrats LisaJ and enjoy the card

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.