cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have their hard limit removed on Amex Plat?

tag
mattayy
Frequent Contributor

Anyone have their hard limit removed on Amex Plat?

I defaulted on my Amex Plat card back in 2016, ended up paying off the total balance in March of this year and had the card reinstated. They put a preset limit on it of $2000, but was told after 6 months I could call and see if it would be raised or removed. I called today (7th statement cut) and they said that when I agreed to reinstate my account it said in the agreement (apollo program is what she was referring to? I don't remember that being anywhere) I would have to have this $2000 for 3 years before being removed. 

Is this something others have experienced? I have seen a couple people on this forum have their preset limit removed way before 3 years after reinstating their account. I spend about $4k-$6k/mo on the card and pay it off completely each month. 

Any insight would be helpful! 

EQ: 584 TU: 615 EX: 612

Cap 1 Williams Sonoma Visa $3.5k limit, Walmart MC $2k limit, American Express Platinum $2K limit, Venmo Visa $900 limit, Credit One Amex $700 limit, Credit One Visa $400 limit, Kohls $300 limit, Target RedCard $300 limit, Living Spaces $1k limit, Amazon $400 limit, Jcrew $450 limit, US Bank $300 limit
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Anyone have their hard limit removed on Amex Plat?

Unfortunately, it's something that's different from person to person. There hasn't been any established ways to speed up the process. I currently have a 2k limit and from everything I've found online, it could take years to remove. Spending above the limit every month doesn't appear to have any bearing on their decision.

Message 2 of 27
jasonbourne84
Frequent Contributor

When you're ready, you might consider just apping for a different charger (Amex Gold, for example) to get a new account without a hard cap. Then you could PC to the Plat down the road. Just a thought. 

Message 3 of 27
MoneyMa
Established Member

Have you been through the reinstatement with Amex?  If so, I have a couple questions if you don't mind.  Today is the first time hearing about this Apollo program and am interested.  I recently got an offer for this via email.

Ty!

Message 4 of 27
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Most (if not all) of the data points for imposed limits on charge cards being lifted back to NPSL here will be for cards that remained open.  Unfortunately your scenario, while not completely unique, with a previously closed account being reinstated with a hard limit isn't one we commonly see.

Message 5 of 27
CreditChemistry
Established Member

I had my hard limit removed recently. They originally issued me a NPSL Gold. I never fell behind or made any lates. I did utilize the Plan It feature that allows you to pay over time. I used that a few months. Then, they decided to put a hard limit on my card at $2800. I was there for about 6 months and they raised it to $5700. I had that for about another 6 months and they just recently lifted it. Like I said, I never defaulted or was late, just utilized it more like a credit card than a charge card for a few months and they put the hammer on me. It was a crazy few months. I had a lot of expenses and my credit score was suffering because I was carry a balance on another card as well. Hopefully they will lift your hard limit too. Good luck. 

Message 6 of 27
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@mattayy wrote:

I defaulted on my Amex Plat card back in 2016, ended up paying off the total balance in March of this year and had the card reinstated. They put a preset limit on it of $2000, but was told after 6 months I could call and see if it would be raised or removed. I called today (7th statement cut) and they said that when I agreed to reinstate my account it said in the agreement (apollo program is what she was referring to? I don't remember that being anywhere) I would have to have this $2000 for 3 years before being removed. 

Is this something others have experienced? I have seen a couple people on this forum have their preset limit removed way before 3 years after reinstating their account. I spend about $4k-$6k/mo on the card and pay it off completely each month. 

Any insight would be helpful! 

I think you should just be glad they reinstated your card.  That is pretty rare.

Just make your payments and sooner or later they'll ditch, or increase, your hard limit.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 27
NRB525
Super Contributor

@CreditChemistry wrote:

I had my hard limit removed recently. They originally issued me a NPSL Gold. I never fell behind or made any lates. I did utilize the Plan It feature that allows you to pay over time. I used that a few months. Then, they decided to put a hard limit on my card at $2800. I was there for about 6 months and they raised it to $5700. I had that for about another 6 months and they just recently lifted it. Like I said, I never defaulted or was late, just utilized it more like a credit card than a charge card for a few months and they put the hammer on me. It was a crazy few months. I had a lot of expenses and my credit score was suffering because I was carry a balance on another card as well. Hopefully they will lift your hard limit too. Good luck. 

Glad you got the hard limit raised, then removed.
I added a ~$9k Plan It on my Gold nearly a year ago, on a $0 fee offer, nearly have that paid off. Just added, end of April, a Plan It $0 fee item on my Platinum with a $4,500 charge. No indication yet that any hard limits have been imposed on either card. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 27
jcooks
Established Contributor

@CreditChemistry wrote:

Do you think it could be high utilization and a score drop that caused the hard limit rather than carrying the balance?  

Message 9 of 27
CreditChemistry
Established Member

Quite possibly. I think I was running around 50% utilization at the time, and to make it worse, I did a student loan consolidation and added another car loan, if I remember right. I know my AoA was wonky around that time. Basically, I know I looked risky to Amex, so they kept me in line. I also had a fairly new account (less than 3 years, maybe). I just realized that card isn't even listed in my signature. I haven't updated it in so long. It's the Rose Gold AmEx offer that they did temporarily, and then took away, and now I see it's back. 

The hard limit wasn't really that bad, really. Anytime I got close to it, they would just send me an email and ask me to pay down my balance a bit. I kinda think I might have someone tricked my way out of the hard limit. Not really sure. Here's what happened around the time it lifted:

I have auto pay set up on my card to pay the minimum payment (just in case I forget). Well, I have been working with boosting my score, so I have been paying my balances down to under 9% right before the bill prints. Somehow I managed to overpay by $900, and I had a credit. I know it was because I overlooked the pending auto pay, and still paid down my balance to below 9%....just don't understand how I overlooked it. Lol. Thankfully, I had the buffer. It was right after that payment cleared my bank that I got the email from Amex, telling me they were lifting my limit. Now, it was about 6 months after they had doubled my hard limit, and my credit score has been taking leaps, so I'm not sure if it's coincidental or what. 

Hope these stats help you all. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.